Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2020, 03:08 PM - 3 Likes   #16
bxf
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Towing a trailer is kind of a pain and doesn't really replace the convenience of a pickup truck although the trailer does have value. Even many truck owners also have a trailer. I've been a mechanic for 45 years. My choice if I was going to Africa would be the Toyota Hi Lux (Tacoma here in the US). They are rugged and parts are available anywhere in the world. When I visited the US Navy Seal museum in Florida a couple of years ago, they had a Hi Lux on display that had been used in overseas operations. They buy them retail wherever they are and outfit them with their military necessities. The retired Seal I was talking to said they are better than anything they could bring over.
No, a trailer wouldn't be as convenient as a pickup, but since I'd be making only limited use of the vehicle, it may not be too much of a problem. And OK, I am definitely convinced of the suitability of the HiLux. There's lots of evidence to support your own observations.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
There might be an advantage importing a vehicle yourself, particularly a truck. Supply and demand might make them expensive or rare in Africa but cheaper in Europe. Transportation costs aren't too bad, but you'll have to deal with customs and paperwork.
There was a time when cars in the US were much, much cheaper than "anywhere" else, especially used cars, which would go for a song and a few bucks. As far as I can see, those days are gone, though I haven't done a comparison of US vs EU prices.

You'd think (I did) that importing your own would be the obvious approach. However, Ghana has an age-driven penalty tax, where the older the vehicle, the higher this tax, in addition to a multitude of other duties and taxes. This means that if I were to import a 10 year old car, for example, I would be taxed highly, whereas if I bought the same car in Ghana, assuming that car had been in Ghana for some time (perhaps since new), then that tax would not factor into the cost. I've already done a quick comparison and decided that it wasn't worth the hassle. Also, there are many vehicles confiscated upon arrival from overseas, because the importer was not able to pay the required import fees. Such vehicles go on auction and may present a good opportunity.

08-14-2020, 05:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Also, there are many vehicles confiscated upon arrival from overseas, because the importer was not able to pay the required import fees. Such vehicles go on auction and may present a good opportunity.
Brilliant idea! Take someone else's lemons and make the lemonade! You are truly keeping your options open!
08-14-2020, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #18
bxf
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Brilliant idea! Take someone else's lemons and make the lemonade! You are truly keeping your options open!
Ha, even lemons can represent good value if the price is right

Last edited by bxf; 08-14-2020 at 06:48 AM.
08-14-2020, 10:26 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This thread reminded me of this stunt......

08-15-2020, 07:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

bxf,

Keep us posted on what you get, what the selection of vehicles is like when you are checking out vehicles for the one you want, etc. I'd be interested having never been to Africa and your plans sound very interesting.

Best of luck to you and I'm sure things will go well.

Les
08-15-2020, 11:29 AM - 2 Likes   #21
bxf
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
bxf,

Keep us posted on what you get, what the selection of vehicles is like when you are checking out vehicles for the one you want, etc. I'd be interested having never been to Africa and your plans sound very interesting.

Best of luck to you and I'm sure things will go well.

Les
Will do, Les, though it may be some time before we are able to go, due to the current travel restrictions.

Meanwhile, if anyone is feeling bored, this site has many cars for sale: https://jiji.com.gh/vehicles and one can get an idea of the prices.

Do not put too much weight on the indicated mileage, as apparently they are able to change it, even in relatively modern cars. Also, some/many cars are those that were considered not sellable in the west due to a bad condition after an accident, for example, and are imported and "repaired" locally.
08-21-2020, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I agree with Zoe. Dogs are rich but cats are better, keep the filter clean.

08-22-2020, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One other thing that crossed my mind are the roads themselves. How good are they where you are going? Unpaved roads or poorly paved roads would be another good reason to consider a truck like the Hi Lux or a 4Runner over a car because of the beefier suspension and even more important, ground clearance.
08-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #24
Pentaxian

One other thing that crossed my mind are the roads themselves. How good are they where you are going? Unpaved roads or poorly paved roads would be another good reason to consider a truck like the Hi Lux or a 4Runner over a car because of the beefier suspension and even more important, ground clearance.
Exactly and heavy duty truck tires.
08-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #25
bxf
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Exactly and heavy duty truck tires.
Aside from the occasional pothole, primary roads are decent to good. The worst ones are unpaved "streets" in residential and minor commercial areas. These are simply sand surfaces, rendered very uneven by time and weather. However, my need to navigate in such places would be minimal, and there would not be any lengthy driving in such conditions. The need for a truck is dictated more by its load carrying capability than by its superior maneuverability in rough terrain.