Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If they call about my Windows machine, I laugh and tell them I run a Mac. And vice versa... Of course, it's a mix (7 boxes and a bunch of handheld gizmos) and all behind a well secured router.

10-29-2020, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #32
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Look up James Veitch's skits about emailing with spammers. There's some brilliance there. And tasty Gummy Lizards.
10-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
Look up James Veitch's skits about emailing with spammers. There's some brilliance there. And tasty Gummy Lizards.
He's very funny indeed. I'd say he's my inspiration for messing with scammers.
10-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #34
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
He's very funny indeed. I'd say he's my inspiration for messing with scammers.
I find him funny too... but he's recently been in some trouble:

Comedian James Veitch, 40, accused of sexual assault and rape by more than a dozen women | Daily Mail Online

10-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #35
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I had not heard that.
10-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oops. I'm sorry to see that.
10-29-2020, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #37
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Oops. I'm sorry to see that.
Yes - me too, Mark.

I believe strongly that someone should be considered innocent until proven guilty, and I despise "trial by media" and the damage done even when allegations are subsequently proven false. For those reasons, I'm reserving judgement until a lot more information is available. The number of allegations is rather concerning, though...

10-30-2020, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #38
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
If I don't know the number, I don't pick up.

Caller ID.
10-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #39
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

That seems to be the fashionable thing these days, lots of celebrities, politicians and other well known people under scrutiny for past indiscretions.

I wonder why lesser known individuals don't seem to be targets of these things. In my more wild and carefree days I had more than my share of clandestine liaisons with many women.

Guess my pockets aren't deep enough.
10-30-2020, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That seems to be the fashionable thing these days, lots of celebrities, politicians and other well known people under scrutiny for past indiscretions.

I wonder why lesser known individuals don't seem to be targets of these things. In my more wild and carefree days I had more than my share of clandestine liaisons with many women.

Guess my pockets aren't deep enough.
Lesser known individuals tend to not have their cases publicized
10-31-2020, 03:56 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
If I don't know the number, I don't pick up.
I have had several occasions in the past where it has been important that I have picked up an unknown number. For example someone down the road phoned when they found my cat injured, and they got my phone number from the tag on his collar. There would be no point in him having the tag if I did not answer the phone to unknown numbers.

A member of your family could be in trouble with their own phone battery flat, so they are using a friend's . Yes I have heard of phone scams involving "Someone you know is in trouble, send money!", but I am not so dumb as to be incapable of recognising such a scam, and I can recognise the voices of people I know, and as it happens none have Indian accents like 90% of the scam callers I have experienced.

If you are checking the caller ID anyway, it is not much more trouble to press the button to answer and relish telling them what they can do with themselves if they are a scammer, something I can recognise within about two seconds. At least until I go senile one day.
10-31-2020, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #42
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
If you are checking the caller ID anyway, it is not much more trouble to press the button to answer and relish telling them what they can do with themselves if they are a scammer, something I can recognise within about two seconds. At least until I go senile one day.
For the very rare scam caller that makes it past my blocker, as soon as I realise that's the case I just press the big red button on the unit. It drops the line and adds the number to the blocking list... Not as much fun as toying with them, but more time efficient..
10-31-2020, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #43
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I have had several occasions in the past where it has been important that I have picked up an unknown number. For example someone down the road phoned when they found my cat injured, and they got my phone number from the tag on his collar. There would be no point in him having the tag if I did not answer the phone to unknown numbers.

A member of your family could be in trouble with their own phone battery flat, so they are using a friend's . Yes I have heard of phone scams involving "Someone you know is in trouble, send money!", but I am not so dumb as to be incapable of recognising such a scam, and I can recognise the voices of people I know, and as it happens none have Indian accents like 90% of the scam callers I have experienced.

If it is important, such as you describe here, they can leave a message. If I am there and hear the message, I can pick it up, eh?
10-31-2020, 04:43 PM   #44
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I use YouMail for my voicemail. (It lets me assign specific greetings for different numbers, disconnects spam calls, makes numbers with blocked caller-id enter their number (or a fake number) to leave me a message, etc, as well as lets me download my voicemail as MP3s, was handy when I've switched providers as I kept all my saved emails, and also provides (sometimes very amusing) transcriptions.) With their app, it actually has the option to send all calls that aren't contacts straight to voicemail. Or maybe it just silences the call on my phone and lets it time out naturally to voicemail, I'm not certain how it works. I only have it configured to do that with known spam calls. So I still get a lot of spam calls from local numbers that I just ignore. 99% of them don't bother leaving a voicemail so it's obviously not something important. It's always funny when I check my voicemail in the app and see it's already listed the calls that do come through as insurance scams and other such things depending, I assume, upon the content of the voicemail.
11-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't even answer these calls anymore. One tactic I've heard they use is to record you, hoping to get an affirmative reply or two. They then use that recording to open a credit card account over the phone, using your voice when asked questions. When you find out and try to dispute the account, it's much harder to do so because they have your (albeit recorded) voice on file agreeing to the terms. Not sure how prevalent that is, but playing games with them to string them along could backfire on you.

In my case, my phone number's area code is based in a location where I no longer live, nor have contacts with. Since most of my spam comes from that area code, I just have anything from that area code blocked outright.

And then there's this. Lol