Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was an historic day for Pentax too

I watched the speech, as I'm sure many of you did from the new President. Oh and this is not intended to be a political thread of any sort. Hopefully that's behind us now.

Pentax Was there!
As the speech was winding down. CNN's cameras scanned the crowd and I noticed a guy winding his film lever with a moderately long zoom. It was a K1000. Other than P&S cameras, It was the only SLR I noticed. And via email I discussed this with another member, he saw it too.

My wife says I have an illness....

11-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I've been known to change stations if someone is using a camera in a show or movie and it's not a Pentax.

My wife says I have an illness.
11-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Pentax Was there!
As the speech was winding down. CNN's cameras scanned the crowd and I noticed a guy winding his film lever with a moderately long zoom. It was a K1000. Other than P&S cameras, It was the only SLR I noticed. And via email I discussed this with another member, he saw it too.
maybe they prohibited professional SLR's

a pancake slapped on a K1000 with a zoom in your pants probably went by the security no problem

i have no significant other to tell me i have an illness, but my friends call me crazy when i start pointing out lenses and camera models on random people with SLR's.
11-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
maybe they prohibited professional SLR's

a pancake slapped on a K1000 with a zoom in your pants probably went by the security no problem

And I thought you were just happy to see me.

Speaking of which did you hear the one about John McCain picking Sarah Palin because the surge was succeeding..................... in his pants?

11-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I notice cameras also, but I also notice lens effects in recorded video, like on television dramas - scenes where they try for moods or slightly arty effects.

I'm often spouting pearls of wisdom like: "wide angle lens, shot up close. Center looks normal, but look at the edge effects." Or: "Big aperture zoom, hair in back of head is soft, eyes are sharp." Or: "PF alert! PF alert!"

I often have no idea what's going on on the show plot-wise. But then, it's usually something like Grey's Anatomy, so, no big loss.

Wife is no longer concerned, which is progress.

11-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have the same illness!! I always notice what folks are shooting.
11-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, you'd have to spell it out to me before i see it ...LOL

11-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Unfortunately, you'd have to spell it out to me before i see it ...LOL
I T spells it.
11-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I watched "American Gangster" yesterday for the first time.

The Riza uses a Spotmatic with a 135mm Tak of some kind in the 1968-69 time frame. Then Russell Crows busts out a K1000 with what looks like a K 135mm in the early 70s.

I cheered every time they were on
11-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I notice cameras also, but I also notice lens effects in recorded video, like on television dramas - scenes where they try for moods or slightly arty effects.

I'm often spouting pearls of wisdom like: "wide angle lens, shot up close. Center looks normal, but look at the edge effects." Or: "Big aperture zoom, hair in back of head is soft, eyes are sharp." Or: "PF alert! PF alert!"

I often have no idea what's going on on the show plot-wise. But then, it's usually something like Grey's Anatomy, so, no big loss.

Wife is no longer concerned, which is progress.
I do that a little but I used to be a partner in a video productio company and we shot 3 chip Sony Beta cams (big heavy suckers) any you just don't look at video the same way. The lenses were expensive but designed differently in number of ways.

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I watched "American Gangster" yesterday for the first time.

The Riza uses a Spotmatic with a 135mm Tak of some kind in the 1968-69 time frame. Then Russell Crows busts out a K1000 with what looks like a K 135mm in the early 70s.

I cheered every time they were on
Yeah I saw that movie in the theatre and noticed the same. I and a couple of other members posted about that back then. It just made the movie even more enjoyable.

To the other comments, if the secret service guys couldn't see a lens that size (appeared to be a 70-210 of some sort like the old Vivitars) in you pants/pocket, well they need to look for new work.

I knew Gary would para-quote Mae West. Too funny
11-06-2008, 03:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Pentax Was there!

My wife says I have an illness....
I saw the same thing, but I couldn't identify the camera. I did see some digital SLR's being used -- held overhead to get a shot of the stage.
11-06-2008, 05:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

My wife says "Very nice, dear" from behind her yoga magazine. How could she fail to notice the artful use of DOF, the incisive cropping to the tip of the left nostril, the zoom-in entirely hand-held, the...
She has an illness.
11-06-2008, 05:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Funny Wombat, I've had that response as well. But then I see some of my shots used as computer wallpaper at her office. I think she just tries hard not to encourage me too much. Even she understands the meaning of LBA.