Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I’ve grown weary of sellers who have listings up for months and months, bumping them, but NEVER responding to PM’s with offers. Why bother listing your items? Unless, of course, their significant other says they have to try and sell some gear. Hey, look honey, I keep re-listing it, but nobody is buying.
I have only had this happen with one user who is on my ignore list these days. Otherwise the only sellers that fail to respond are those who don’t frequent the forums and sold gear but didn’t Mark it sold.

12-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve grown weary of sellers who have listings up for months and months, bumping them, but NEVER responding to PM’s with offers. Why bother listing your items? Unless, of course, their significant other says they have to try and sell some gear. Hey, look honey, I keep re-listing it, but nobody is buying.

Some sellers have unreasonable expectations and consider anything less than their price as a lowball offer.
Occasionally I run into this on eBay as well. Sellers like this usually keep their items a good long time.

Back in the days of newspaper classified ads I recall one of my brothers-in-law
once listed his non-collectible well-used car for the price he paid for it brand new...

Chris
12-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I’ve grown weary of sellers who have listings up for months and months, bumping them, but NEVER responding to PM’s with offers.
Perhaps, the reason why they don't respond is that the item out of the list of dozens on the post was likely sold months ago, but never marked as such.

Steve

(...had a bad experience with that seller and should probably mark to ignore...)
12-21-2020, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Some sellers have unreasonable expectations and consider anything less than their price as a lowball offer.
Occasionally I run into this on eBay as well. Sellers like this usually keep their items a good long time.

Chris
I am currently watching a book that has sat on Ebay for at least four months, without selling or the price dropping. Out of curiosity, I messaged the seller to ask if they would accept an offer, not even naming a price. This was their response :

'Hello there,

Thank you for your email. Our prices reflect the current demand in the market place, and we are unable to accept offers I'm afraid.'

As it is the only copy currently available, and has not yet sold, I fail to see how the price 'Reflects the current demand'. Maybe I am missing something.

12-21-2020, 09:45 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I am currently watching a book that has sat on Ebay for at least four months, without selling or the price dropping. Out of curiosity, I messaged the seller to ask if they would accept an offer, not even naming a price. This was their response :

'Hello there,

Thank you for your email. Our prices reflect the current demand in the market place, and we are unable to accept offers I'm afraid.'

As it is the only copy currently available, and has not yet sold, I fail to see how the price 'Reflects the current demand'. Maybe I am missing something.
That represents wishful thinking. Lol.
12-22-2020, 03:41 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

'Hello there,

The seller is probably still reading the book himself and is just a slow reader.

Can't sell the book before you are done.
12-22-2020, 08:05 AM - 2 Likes   #37

If more than one person wants anything for the price listed, the item sells itself. I missed a lot of great deals here because it was sold faster than a New York minute.

12-22-2020, 11:54 AM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

'Hello there,

The book is probably on the shelf at the seller's brick and mortar store. If eBay were their primary outlet, they would have been open to an offer.

Steve
12-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The book is probably on the shelf at the seller's brick and mortar store. If eBay were their primary outlet, they would have been open to an offer.

Steve
My thoughts entirely - and in my view it can stay there.
12-23-2020, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Perhaps, the reason why they don't respond is that the item out of the list of dozens on the post was likely sold months ago, but never marked as such.

Steve

(...had a bad experience with that seller and should probably mark to ignore...)
The particular seller had only seven posts and his activity log showed he was on the forum two hours after I posted my first contact. He was then online when I posted my second contact. Finally, I contacted via guestbook asking if the item was still available and if so, why did he ignore my PM’s. A day later I get a reply that he had sold the item that morning- for the price I had offered! Now, I think that last detail was just rubbing it in that he did not wish to deal with me for some reason.
12-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The particular seller had only seven posts and his activity log showed he was on the forum two hours after I posted my first contact. He was then online when I posted my second contact. Finally, I contacted via guestbook asking if the item was still available and if so, why did he ignore my PM’s. A day later I get a reply that he had sold the item that morning- for the price I had offered! Now, I think that last detail was just rubbing it in that he did not wish to deal with me for some reason.
There is a user here on my ignore list that simply ignored all my attempts to buy an item from him or her. The item sold so it didn't hurt them but it made me angry - I will never remove them from my ignore list as a result of this.
12-24-2020, 04:54 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you think it's a challenge with PF and lenses or cameras, try selling a somewhat collectible car via a forum. Many inquiries, pictures, documents, then nothing.

The majority of my camera gear has been purchased form the Marketplace, I have had almost entirely wonderful and easy transaction and been very satisfied with the purchases. As a PF buyer, I will usually make an offer to the seller, and accept or decline depending on their response.

---------- Post added 12-24-20 at 07:10 ----------

Now, I think that last detail was just rubbing it in that he did not wish to deal with me for some reason.
I never make a business transaction personal.

There are three ways I can think of to sell, hold fast to a value and accept no offers, or start high but take a reasonable offer, or know the value but take whatever you can get.
In the first you know the value of the object and are in no hurry to sell unless your offer is met. This is my mindset with my car, fortunately I can afford to be this way right now.
In the second, you know the range of value, and would like to sell but only if the offer is close to what you are willing to accept. This is my attitude with a certain guitar I am selling.
In the third case, you need the money, and/or want to be rid of the item. The former was my attitude when I was selling my music collection to pay my rent 30 years ago. The latter is how I participated in flea markets. When people asked how much I wanted for stuff, I'd often respond with "How much would you like to pay?" Their reaction was often one of astonishment, but more people walked away with my stuff in their bags, and their money in my pocket. A win for both parties.
12-26-2020, 03:16 PM   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
. . . . The majority of my camera gear has been purchased form the Marketplace, I have had almost entirely wonderful and easy transaction and been very satisfied with the purchases. As a PF buyer, I will usually make an offer to the seller, and accept or decline depending on their response.. . . .
that has been my experience, 100 %

ask the seller politely via PM if there is any " wriggle room " on the listed price

if yes, then make offer and discuss

if no, thank the seller politely and wish the seller the best of luck on the sale to someone else
03-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
that has been my experience, 100 %

ask the seller politely via PM if there is any " wriggle room " on the listed price

if yes, then make offer and discuss

if no, thank the seller politely and wish the seller the best of luck on the sale to someone else
Actually, it (again) happened two days ago about an item of mine on the Marketplace.