Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2020, 07:16 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
my favorite is to ask some questions, haggle a bit..... then "poof" - they disappear...

nothing....
Right ... one can see many illusionists perfecting the disappearing act here !

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Many years ago when I was young, I was a salesman. Respect, politeness, etc...are often not part of the deal. You may wish things were different and sometimes I did, but in many cases that will not be the case. I don't anticipate things will change.
I get that. Respect, courtesy, politeness ...etc. are rare qualities. You might not think it isn't "part of the deal" but it sure is appreciated when it comes around ... once in a while!

10-05-2020, 08:58 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Right ... one can see many illusionists perfecting the disappearing act here !

I get that. Respect, courtesy, politeness ...etc. are rare qualities. You might not think it isn't "part of the deal" but it sure is appreciated when it comes around ... once in a while!
I always made every effort to be polite and respectful in my dealings with customers. I might not make a sale on a particular day to a particular customer, but there was always the hope for future consideration by that customer, for a potential sale.

Also, I've always believed that one should treat others, the way I would want to be treated.
10-06-2020, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

.. . Also, I've always believed that one should treat others, the way I would want to be treated.
very good advice to live by

I was asked once why I chose my profession since everyone knows that all lawyers are SOBs

my response was that like most generalizations, it wasn't true

but I could be one mean SOB when it was required of me

otherwise I found more could get done by using sugar instead of salt

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-06-2020 at 04:07 AM.
10-06-2020, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I always made every effort to be polite and respectful in my dealings with customers. I might not make a sale on a particular day to a particular customer, but there was always the hope for future consideration by that customer, for a potential sale.

Also, I've always believed that one should treat others, the way I would want to be treated.
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
very good advice to live by

I was asked once why I chose my profession since everyone knows that all lawyers are SOBs

my response was that like most generalizations, it wasn't true

but I could be one mean SOB when it was required of me

otherwise I found more could get done by using sugar instead of salt
Words of wisdom, folks!
Cheers!

10-26-2020, 05:23 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I get rather annoyed with potential buyers from outside the United States who ask for shipping quotes from multiple sources. Shipping quotes take time to research and cannot be exact until the item is packaged. I do the requested work, send the message and never hear back. Or, they reply asking for a quote from an oddball carrier, then get upset when I tell them I cannot use that carrier because the closest pick-up location is 35 miles away.
10-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I probably have done the first thing by accident to a seller at least once or twice. The intention to not do it is there, but sometimes a break from checking in at the forum happens, in those cases when I realized my mistake I typically did reach out and apologize.

I'm my sales I've been mostly fortunate to get responsive buyers. I've had some recent inquires on an conversion where the conversation just stopped... And I've gotten used to it. Some of these folks show back up months later and follow through, others just vanish. In my case since I offer a service I'm not on pins and needles. I can take or leave a sale without any change in "inventory".

I do however appreciate prompt responses and I try to do likewise.
11-02-2020, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #22
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Originally posted by lesmore49*
Many years ago when I was young, I was a salesman. Respect, politeness, etc...are often not part of the deal. You may wish things were different and sometimes I did, but in many cases that will not be the case. I don't anticipate things will change.
In my case, if I'm in a deal; buying or selling; if respect, politeness, etc. are NOT part of the deal, then I will not deal. There is no reason not to insist on these as part of any deal.

11-02-2020, 09:48 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I get rather annoyed with potential buyers from outside the United States who ask for shipping quotes from multiple sources. Shipping quotes take time to research and cannot be exact until the item is packaged. I do the requested work, send the message and never hear back.
There's a way around that.
Give them the estimated weight, package dimensions, and Zip Code it ships from and let them do the research.
11-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
In my case, if I'm in a deal; buying or selling; if respect, politeness, etc. are NOT part of the deal, then I will not deal. There is no reason not to insist on these as part of any deal.
Right. Most of us aren't making a living selling anything here and can afford to be particular about how we do business.
11-02-2020, 03:55 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Right. Most of us aren't making a living selling anything here and can afford to be particular about how we do business.
True but generally dealing with anyone here is going to be a better experience than flea bay.
11-03-2020, 01:00 AM - 4 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a strict policy of only relaxing my sales pricing to people who are polite and respectful, and only paying my maximum purchase price to sellers who are the same.

By doing so, I ensure courtesy has value. If more people valued courtesy, the world would be a better place

11-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I may have become a little harsher with dealings/sales.
My responses to those who do not carry on the proper way are now prompt and dismissive.
I no longer want to waste my time with stupidity.
11-20-2020, 11:41 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
True but generally dealing with anyone here is going to be a better experience than flea bay.
I've listed a few things here for the first time recently, so hopefully so. I have done a fair amount of sales/purchase on ebay and on forums over the years and have had very little trouble on ebay. my forum dealings (mostly musical instruments) have been far more troublesome as far as tire kickers, slow payment, poor communication, etc. If you just want a quick sale and more money than a pawn shop, ebay is great, but the fees and luck of the draw on market any given day usually mean you get less $$.

When you are selling everyone wants it for free because it's junk, when you are buying their stuff is "good as new". That's human nature though I suppose.
11-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Unfortunately courtesy isn't all that common anymore.
It died a slower death than "sense".
12-21-2020, 06:52 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve grown weary of sellers who have listings up for months and months, bumping them, but NEVER responding to PM’s with offers. Why bother listing your items? Unless, of course, their significant other says they have to try and sell some gear. Hey, look honey, I keep re-listing it, but nobody is buying.