Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2020, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #1

Asahi Pentax Plate

Hi all,

I came across this piece of studio pottery signed Asahi Pentax at the estate of a wealthy photographer in California. Any thoughts on what this might be? Promotional piece?

Attached Images

09-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know anything about Pentax making ceramics but it may be original or not (maybe pentax was added to the Asahi mark) Here is something you can run with! Vintage Asahi Japan Slender Red Porcelain Vase 1970s Vase | Etsy

Cheers
09-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very pretty! At the estate or at an estate sale? If a sale, how much was it?
07-21-2021, 07:17 PM   #4

Mystery Plates

I just picked up TWO of these same plates. I am intrigued. D, did you ever find out anything about their origin or age?

I am going to talk with a Japanese ceramics dealer and see if they have any info. I will share with you if I get some intel.

PS: To expound on an earlier post, Asahi is one of the traditional ceramic regions (near Kyoto) in Japan. The sample vase on this thread has no relation to the Pentax brand. In Japan, "ware" at the end of a name signifies "ceramics" for example there is Asahiware, Mashikoware, etc. We adopted this in US, ie "Tupperware" "Corningware" etc.

Instagram: @dyslexsyk

07-21-2021, 08:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boxxcarr Quote
I just picked up TWO of these same plates. I am intrigued. D, did you ever find out anything about their origin or age?

I am going to talk with a Japanese ceramics dealer and see if they have any info. I will share with you if I get some intel.

PS: To expound on an earlier post, Asahi is one of the traditional ceramic regions (near Kyoto) in Japan. The sample vase on this thread has no relation to the Pentax brand. In Japan, "ware" at the end of a name signifies "ceramics" for example there is Asahiware, Mashikoware, etc. We adopted this in US, ie "Tupperware" "Corningware" etc.

Instagram: @dyslexsyk
I never did figure this ut. Thanks for writing!
07-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D_Ready Quote
Hi all,

I came across this piece of studio pottery signed Asahi Pentax at the estate of a wealthy photographer in California. Any thoughts on what this might be? Promotional piece?
Could be anything... Maybe Asahi had a small stint of ceramic making who knows.
07-30-2021, 10:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Could be anything... Maybe Asahi had a small stint of ceramic making who knows.
Mayhap - but what about Asahi beer ?