Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Damn Brit

I wish Walmart was a spoof

WaldemartWatch.com | Harry Potter and the Prisoners of Waldemart

11-08-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Classic send up Gary thanks for the laugh(If it wasn't serious)

cheers
11-08-2008, 02:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Funny, I don't feel like laughing...
11-08-2008, 02:42 AM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Funny, I don't feel like laughing...
What's up?

11-08-2008, 04:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
What's up?
On the one hand, their acting isn't great.

On the other hand, it raises awareness on a very serious issue concerning Walmart's policies. I'm sure healthcare is just the tip of the iceberg. Again, not so funny.
11-08-2008, 04:39 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Quite an ambitious effort on behalf of the participants of that video!

I will continue my personal boycott of Walmart.
11-08-2008, 06:51 AM   #7
Banned

that was hard to watch... such bad acting.

really makes me appreciate the health insurance I have.

11-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like mine even better but will continue to shop anywhere else, always.

This story alone is enough reason to boycott them:
Wake-Up Wal-Mart Blog: Wal-Mart Sues for Health Care Money
11-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I like mine even better but will continue to shop anywhere else, always.

This story alone is enough reason to boycott them:
Wake-Up Wal-Mart Blog: Wal-Mart Sues for Health Care Money
That is not a Wal-Mart problem. It is a problem with the American legal system allowing subrogation to happen in the first place.
After that, it is just a matter of abiding by the letter of the contract you signed (something we Canadians have problems understanding from time to time).

I know it is politically expedient to kick Wal-Mart, but the reality is, they are just another big corporation, no better or worse than any other.
FWIW, I know this from the inside, I worked for them for almost 9 years.
11-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That is not a Wal-Mart problem. It is a problem with the American legal system allowing subrogation to happen in the first place.
After that, it is just a matter of abiding by the letter of the contract you signed (something we Canadians have problems understanding from time to time).

I know it is politically expedient to kick Wal-Mart, but the reality is, they are just another big corporation, no better or worse than any other.
FWIW, I know this from the inside, I worked for them for almost 9 years.
How many other "corporations" hire almost exclusively part time help to avoid paying benefits? How many open up stores in small towns with low prices until they drive the mom and pop stores out of business and then raise prices? How many close stores because the employees want a union? Do some companies do these things? Yes. But Wal-Mart is the poster child for greed.

I could go on, but I think you see how I feel about them.
11-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
How many other "corporations" hire almost exclusively part time help to avoid paying benefits?
Pretty much every retail or service industry sector employer does exactly that. Grocery chains, McDonalds, places like that come to mind.

QuoteQuote:
How many open up stores in small towns with low prices until they drive the mom and pop stores out of business and then raise prices?
Are they doing anything illegal if (and this is if) they do that? People have a right to shop where they want to. You might as well rail against B&H Photo for putting local camera stores out of business by offering mail order.
If enough people in a small city don't want a Wal-mart, they just have to vote with their wallets, and the Wal-mart will go away.
The fact is, a lot of small towns will approach the company (usually through some sort of business venture group) about opening a store because there is a demand from their constituents. (Weyburn Saskatchewan is an example that comes to mind).

QuoteQuote:
How many close stores because the employees want a union? Do some companies do these things? Yes. But Wal-Mart is the poster child for greed.
I don't know about USA labour laws, but in Canada, a company that can be proven to have done that faces pretty severe sanctions.
There was a Wal-mart store in St. Jonquiere (sp?) Quebec that decided to unionize. As part of the effort, the union decided that a "work to rule" campaign was in order, the result being an incredible downturn in productivity and sales.
The company closed the store.
The hew and cry was that Wal-Mart shut the location down because of union activity.
The union activity made the store unprofitable, so i suppose it could be argued that this is true, but the simple fact is, the company won't keep a store open that doesn't show a profit over a period of time.
The union pretty much screwed their own members with bad advice on that one.

QuoteQuote:

I could go on, but I think you see how I feel about them.
And you are entitled to your opinion, but if you base it on fact rather than hyperbole, you might be more accurate in your assessment.
11-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My wife is in a wheelchair, and when she goes shopping, Wal-Mart will assign somebody to push the shopping cart for her and reach for the things she can't reach, then bring the stuff to her van. No other store will do that. Where do you think my wife goes for shopping when she is alone?
11-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
How many other "corporations" hire almost exclusively part time help to avoid paying benefits? But Wal-Mart is the poster child for greed.
Next time you're shopping at your local mall, take a poll of the employees of the stores. What you'll find is that just about all of them work their employees less than 32 hours a week. Why? No benefits.

So, if you want to boycott stores for doing that, you may as well include Macys, Penneys, Sears, Target, Dillards & etc.

If you think it's unfair and you would like for all of those people to have health care. fine. Just be prepared to pay higher retail prices.

It's not just Wal-Mart. Even though everyone like to accuse them of being the only one.

Don't get me started on unions.
11-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #15

When I was in the U.S. most of my friends would rant about the evil Walmart. So, one day I went to Walmart and spent a few hours visiting with employees. Two had Downs Syndrome. They stocked shelves and ran errands. I wonder who else would have hired them. I met a lot of women in the late forties and early fifties, high school graduates, recently divorced, and on their first job. They all talked about friends who parlayed their experience with Walmart into a job with another company and often in quite different work. I met a few supervisors and all of them had started working at entry level jobs with Walmart.

I know it's popular to knock Walmart but I'm proud of them.