Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2020, 03:20 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Our old friend Rupert had a "What's for dinner" thread for posting photos of meals, but I thought it might be a nice idea - especially in these socially-distanced, somewhat-isolated times - to share favourite meal recipes. One thing we can still enjoy as always is cooking at home for ourselves and/or close family, right?

I'm just an amateur home cook with very limited skills and repertoire, but I'm always looking for new recipes to try. I've a few favourites of my own to contribute, and whilst nothing especially impressive, they're tasty and - fittingly for my skills - simple and foolproof

Here's one I've made a couple of times recently - "Meditteranean Pork & Potatoes". It's an adaptation of Rick Stein's "Lamb Kleftiko", and works equally well with either meat - but I prefer it with pork shoulder. I made it this past weekend and now have the ingredients, quantities and preparation about right. Depending on the size of the pork shoulder, it should feed six hungry people.
Mediterranean Pork & Potatoes

1 x good-sized shoulder of pork
1 x large white onion, thinkly sliced
1.5lbs x Charlotte potatoes (or other small, waxy variety), halved or cut into large chunks
2 x large red, orange or yellow bell peppers, de-seeded and sliced
3 x good-sized vine-ripened tomatoes, thickly sliced
8 x large cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed with the flat of a knife
4oz x feta cheese, crumbled or cut into small cubes
1 x fresh lemon, juiced
3 fl oz x good olive oil
10 fl oz x water
Dried oregano
Sea salt
Ground black pepper

Pre-heat oven to 375F / 190C (340F / 170C fan-assisted).

Cover the bottom of a high-sided roasting tin or large crock-pot with the sliced onion and add smashed garlic cloves.

Add the potatoes, arranging so they cover the onions.

Thinly score the skin of the pork, pat dry, and place on top of the potatoes.

Add the sliced bell peppers and tomatoes, arranged evenly around the pork.

Pour in the water.

In a jug, mix the lemon juice and olive oil well and pour over the entire dish, coating everything.

Sprinkle generously with dried oregano and season well with sea salt and ground black pepper. A bit more salt than usual is recommended due to the sharpness of the lemon juice, tomatoes and feta cheese. Make sure to get some of the salt into the scoring of the skin, to help season the pork.

If using a roasting tin, cover with aluminium foil and seal tightly (for a crock-pot, just fit the lid).

Cook in the oven for two-and-a-half hours.

Take dish out of oven and remove foil (or lid).

Add crumbled or cubed feta cheese around the pork.

Use a knife to remove the skin and fat from the pork, discard the soft fat and set the skin aside.

Sprinkle a little more dried oregano and sea salt onto the pork, and return the open dish to the oven for twenty minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the grill ("broiler" in the US) to 430F / 220C.

Scrape and discard any remaining fat from the underside of the pork skin, then arrange the skin on a metal tray and place under the grill (broiler) for a minute or two (warning - it will pop and spit aggressively!). When bubbled and golden brown, remove and set aside on some paper towel.

When the dish has finished cooking, remove from oven and transfer the pork onto a warm plate to rest for a few minutes.

Transfer the potatoes, onion, peppers, tomatoes, garlic and cheese to a warmed bowl using a slotted spoon.

Pour the liquid into a saucepan and bring back to a simmer on the hob.

Mix one generous teaspoon of cornflour with a little cold water, and add to the liquid. Stir thoroughly until it thickens slightly into a thin sauce. If necessary, add a little more sea salt to taste, but don't overdo it.

Cut the pork into rough chunks and pull them apart slightly with a fork (or you could shred completely if preferred).

To serve, place the potatoes, onion, peppers, tomatoes, garlic and cheese into warm bowls (make sure everyone gets a bit of everything!), lay chunks or shreds of pork on top, then spoon over some of the sauce. Break up the crispy skin and place a little on top of each meal serving.

This really is a favourite of mine because it's so easy to prepare, consistently good, and truly delicious and wholesome. What makes it for me is the sharpness of the lemon, tomatoes and greek feta cheese, offsetting the richness of the pork and potatoes beautifully and resulting in a dish that tastes fresh whilst being really filling and satisfying at the same time.

This fed my Mum, Dad and I well for two days running, with six generous portions (reheated in the oven on day #2) - however, we used up most of the sauce on the first day and needed more for the second For that, I mixed the juice of half a lemon, 2 fl oz olive oil, 7 fl oz water, some garlic paste (from a tube) and a generous amount of dried oregano in a saucepan, brought it to a simmer on the hob and seasoned well with salt and pepper to taste. I then mixed a level teaspoon of cornflour with a small amount of cold water, added it to the liquid, and stirred until it thickened slightly. It's not quite as good as the sauce made from the roasting tin or crock-pot liquid, but close enough and still very tasty. If you want even more sauce, increase the quantities of ingredients proportionately.

I have no photos, but will endeavour to add one next time I make this!

Let us know your favourite recipes - breakfast, lunch or dinner, however simple or complicated? I for one would love to read them and - if I'm up to it - try to make them at home
Hiya, sounds yummy but as I live alone impractical for me, haha, bacon and egg sarnnies do me and an occasional carbonnara either bacon and ham or seafood, both yummy, regards Ian

10-29-2020, 03:29 AM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
Hiya, sounds yummy but as I live alone impractical for me, haha, bacon and egg sarnnies do me and an occasional carbonnara either bacon and ham or seafood, both yummy, regards Ian
I love a bacon and egg banjo as much as the next man

With more involved meals, the quantities can always be reduced proportionately. I wouldn't make something like that pork dish for just myself on a regular basis, but once in a while - as a treat - I might. It's easy (and cheap) enough to get small cuts of meat at the supermarket or butcher, then it's just fewer potatoes and veg, less liquid and reduced cooking time... plus, any left-overs are great reheated (or made into a soup) the following day

On that last note, often when I'm cooking a special meal I make double what's needed to feed my Mum, Dad and I - especially if it's a curry, chilli, pasta sauce, that kind of thing, but even if it's a roast dinner. I like being able to freeze the left-overs for use as a convenient lunch or dinner the following week...
10-29-2020, 04:03 AM - 3 Likes   #18
mee
Veteran Member

When I think 'easy' I think crockpot level. Just throw in the ingredients, turn on the device, and return 4-8 hours later.

But you're a regular cook with those detailed recipes, BigMackCam!

How about we be a cooking team -- you make the food, and I enjoy the food.
10-29-2020, 04:09 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

I love a bacon and egg banjo as much as the next man

With more involved meals, the quantities can always be reduced proportionately. I wouldn't make something like that pork dish for just myself on a regular basis, but once in a while - as a treat - I might. It's easy (and cheap) enough to get small cuts of meat at the supermarket or butcher, then it's just fewer potatoes and veg, less liquid and reduced cooking time... plus, any left-overs are great reheated (or made into a soup) the following day

On that last note, often when I'm cooking a special meal I make double what's needed to feed my Mum, Dad and I - especially if it's a curry, chilli, pasta sauce, that kind of thing, but even if it's a roast dinner. I like being able to freeze the left-overs for use as a convenient lunch or dinner the following week...
I also make and eat a lot of chicken nuggets my dog likes them too, haha not overly fussy about food

10-29-2020, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
When I think 'easy' . . .
2 poached eggs with a little cheese added for my breakfast
10-29-2020, 05:18 AM   #21
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
2 poached eggs with a little cheese added for my breakfast
I usually skip breakfast, but maybe a cold bowl of cereal. That's about as effortful as I usually get this early in the morning.

Yours seems to have had more effort though.

I've never appreciated cheese for breakfast. Totally offputting. I like breakfast burritos, but all the microwaveable, store bought ones have cheese in them. So I guess I'm in the minority on that one

Last edited by mee; 10-29-2020 at 05:29 AM.
10-29-2020, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
When I think 'easy' I think crockpot level. Just throw in the ingredients, turn on the device, and return 4-8 hours later.
A lot of my cooking is rather like that... Meat, vegetables, tomatoes, stock, all thrown in the pot and shoved in the oven for 3 hours. It's a pretty foolproof way to make a decent meal

But you're a regular cook with those detailed recipes, BigMackCam!

How about we be a cooking team -- you make the food, and I enjoy the food.
Ha I'm still very much a beginner, but way improved from where I was a few years ago

10-29-2020, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #23
mee
Veteran Member

I made a pot roast a couple weekends ago with just a chunk of beef, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a lipton onion packet, and a couple cans of water. Turn on the crockpot (slow cooker) right before bed. Come morning the lunch entree is already ready.

Made a gravy for the (instant) mashed potatoes with my first attempt at a roux base but added too much flour. The gravy worked albeit a bit lumpy, but the flavor was phenomenal. The leftover gravy, however, thickened to a paste! Didn't think I used too much flour but a little goes a long way apparently.
10-29-2020, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Ah, similar to my dad's recipe; we don't do spicy so one can remove the chilli paste and/or parsley like we do.
Yeah, it's a very Iberian style recipe, isn't it? In Melbourne there's a bit of a Spanish subculture built around the suburb of Fitzroy, and an annual street festival that probably ends up being Latino - more Brazilians than anyone else.

My wife and I loved Barcelona but if and when we go back to Spain it'll be to see Seville, Granada, Valencia, the Balearic Islands, etc. And they say Portugal is even more quaint. (No offence!)

Cheers,
Ian
10-29-2020, 05:01 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, it's a very Iberian style recipe, isn't it? In Melbourne there's a bit of a Spanish subculture built around the suburb of Fitzroy, and an annual street festival that probably ends up being Latino - more Brazilians than anyone else.

My wife and I loved Barcelona but if and when we go back to Spain it'll be to see Seville, Granada, Valencia, the Balearic Islands, etc. And they say Portugal is even more quaint. (No offence!)

Cheers,
Ian
None taken, no worries... particularly considering my native language (Galician) is halfway between Portuguese and Spanish and I've been to Portugal very often - Lisbon and Porto are lovely, for example
10-30-2020, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #26
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
None taken, no worries... particularly considering my native language (Galician) is halfway between Portuguese and Spanish and I've been to Portugal very often - Lisbon and Porto are lovely, for example
My compliments. I'd always assumed English was your first language... You have a better command of it than many of my fellow countrymen
10-30-2020, 02:38 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My compliments. I'd always assumed English was your first language... You have a better command of it than many of my fellow countrymen
Aww, thanks! Unfortunately, the spell lasts until the moment I open my mouth and show off that my accent's atrocious
10-30-2020, 02:57 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Aww, thanks! Unfortunately, the spell lasts until the moment I open my mouth and show off that my accent's atrocious
I come from, and live in, the North East of England. We invented atrocious accents
10-31-2020, 11:52 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QIK pasta Bol.

In the ricecooker

Ingredients

Spirals/shells or macaroni

Some minced meat,I use a pork/veal combo

a jar of pasta sauce

Method

Throw pasta in ricecooker bowl covering with water.Press cook

When it clicks off Drain and rinse the pasta and put it back in the bowl.

Pour the sauce into the pasta and mix well.Place mince on top of pasta and submerge it into the mixture.Press cook.

When it clicks to warm do a taste test as different volumes will have different cook times.Once you think its ready,wack it on a plate and top with shredded cheese.

Last edited by surfar; 11-01-2020 at 11:39 AM.
11-01-2020, 08:05 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Balkan style savory cheese pie (Gibanica, but the "c" reads as "ts"). Easy, tasty and filling!

Ingredients for a medium-sized pie, feeds about 4 people or gives tupperware lunches to a hungry PhD student for three days :

-500 g cheese (sirene or feta - brined cheese in general)
-One pack (about 400-500g) of phyllo pastry. I buy it at Turkish stores (look for unsweetened yufka for börek) although the dough should be homemade... but that ain't happening .
-About 250 g of yogurt, preferably creamy.
-3 or 4 eggs
-Some baking powder
-Olive oil
-If you're feeling traditional, lard instead of oil and also sub the yogurt with kajmak, which is similar to clotted cream so mostly fat as well. Word to the wise: the "proper" recipe is lip-smacking tasty... but you can also feel your arteries clogging. You have been warned

Preparation:
-Cut the cheese into small pieces, scramble the eggs, then mix it all together with the yogurt in a large bowl.
-Mash so the cheese is broken down nicely and well soaked - it won't really be a homogeneous mixture, but I hope you get the picture.
-Add some baking powder to the mix and work it in without overmixing.
-Take a baking form and sprinkle some oil to keep the dough from sticking.
-Start layering the dough (you might need to wet it a bit with water so it isn't super brittle!) in the bottom of the form. Add some drops of oil and spread them on the dough, then add a thin layer of mix on top. -Repeat with alternating dough-mix layers until the first of those runs out.
-Throw into a preheated oven at 200ºC for about half an hour. You can use a bit of egg to paint the top layer of dough so it looks prettier and you can also sprinkle some cumin on top, to taste.

It can be eaten by itself well enough, or with side of ajvar (red pepper paste) and kajmak.

Photo of today's attempt:
Attached Images