Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2020, 12:43 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Smoky Fish & Sweet Potato Curry Recipe | Gousto

The above has been a hit with both me, my fiancé and my family and was found by accident (was scouring the web for what to do with some sweet potato and smoked basa).
For those UK-based, Smoked Basa can be had from Lidl, pre-packed, or I've seen it at the Tesco fishmongers more often than not!
Once you grasp the recipe, it's really quite simple and doesn't take long.

I prefer it with extra fish, hot chillies and coriander atop it, and with peshwari naan in lieu of rice.

11-28-2020, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #47
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I'll have to try it sometime soon for white sauces. Recently did a lovely fish pie where flour has been a resounding success:

Smoked Haddock
Salmon
Prawns (raw or cooked)
(+/- your choice of smoked or unsmoked fish - bass worked well previously).
1x med white onion
Frozen Peas (to preference)
Butter (circa 50g)
Flour (2tsp)
Wholegrain mustard (1tsp)
Salt + Pepper (pinch, to preference)
Milk (probably use between 400-600mL - eyeball for level, depends on how much you're making)
Maris piper or similar potatoes (to top fish pie)
Mature cheddar (to preference)

1. Lightly brown the onion then set to one side.
2. Peel (if you like) and start boiling your potatoes.
3. Make a roux - use the butter and add flour slowly while mixing under a low heat. Add the milk with constant stirring under a low-med heat initially before turning up, and continue to mix open-topped until thick. I've used soy milk for this and it's worked perfectly. Add peas at this stage and accommodate for added water with a little heat.
4. Add your de-skinned, chunkily-chopped fish and mix in. Add the browned onions and mix in. Add in wholegrain mustard and any seasoning you like. Keep heat on low to keep warm.
5. Keep eye on potatoes - you want them mashable but not too runny. Mash until reasonably fine (add butter if you like) and set aside.
6. Place fish & sauce mixture into an ovenable dish, spread mashed potato on top (be sure to press it to the edges of your dish) and add cheese if your heart so desires.
7. Oven-bake at around 200°C (I've done this with a fan oven but regular convection oven would likely cope fine) for around 30-35 minutes, until golden on top.
8. Eat, eat and eat some more.

I've found roasted carrots to be a good accompaniment to this. It's cosy, hearty and wholesome, suitable for pescatarians and a firm favourite.
That sounds great. I've never made a fish pie before, but I like eating them, so this is another one for my list!

Incidentally, if you have an Aldi nearby, I recommend trying their fresh smoked basa fillets as a cheaper and equally-tasty alternative to smoked haddock. They're beautifully prepared, and properly smoked over hickory (no "smoked flavour" added). If I have one criticism, it's that they've added the very common but completely unnecessary yellow food colouring. Other than that, it's fantastic. I made a very easy and tasty chowder the other day with smoked basa, potato, onion, red bell pepper, sweetcorn, vegetable stock and the milk from poaching the fish (with a little mixed cornflour and cold water added for thickening)...

EDIT: I replied before reading your last post bove, where you mention smoked basa Oh well, great minds think alike
12-07-2020, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #48
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a nice, simple and very satisfying curry... gradually improved from previous efforts through trial and error, and now pretty much spot-on (at least for my personal taste). It's got a mild-to-medium kick, but it's certainly not a hot dish. Previously, I've used diced chicken, but after the repeat success of my faux pork chow mein dish with my parents, I've started making this with pork fillet, which is cheaper and even tastier. We all think this is a cracking curry!

Pork, Mushroom & Coconut Curry

(Serves 6)

Ingredients:

5 large cloves garlic, minced
1 large white onion, halved then thickly sliced into discs
4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large red bell pepper, de-seeded and cut into half inch chunks
200g white button mushrooms, washed and halved
400 - 500g pork fillet, thinly sliced across the grain
450g dried long grain rice
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin full fat coconut milk
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp hot smoked paprika
1 tsp medium curry powder
1 tsp ginger
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp sea salt
3 tsp cornflour mixed with a little cold water
Any neutral or light tasting cooking oil (I use bacon lard)

Directions:

Mix the Garam Masala, cumin, hot smoked paprika, curry powder, ginger powder, turmeric and salt in a small bowl

Heat two tbsp oil in a large, high-sided pan
Add onion, carrots and bell pepper to the pan, and stir well to coat everything in the oil
Sprinkle the spice mix over the vegetables and mix thoroughly
Saute over a medium heat until softened, then transfer to a bowl and set aside
Do not wipe out the pan!

While the vegetables are cooking, place the mushrooms in a small pan with water, bring to the boil, turn down the heat and cook gently for 2 minutes, drain then set aside

Add two tbsp oil to the large pan and bring back to medium heat
Add the slice pork fillet and stir thoroughly, seperating the slices and coating them in oil and the left over spices from the pan
Cook until lightly brown, but try not to overcook and shrink the meat
Add the minced garlic and cook for one minute
Add the cooked vegetables, tinned tomatoes and coconut milk, stir thoroughly and bring back to a simmer for 30 minutes with no lid
Add the cornflour and water mixture, and stir gently for a minute or two to thicken slightly
Add the mushrooms, stir for a minute then turn off the heat

In a large pan, rinse the rice thoroughly several times in cold water, then drain
Add 900ml cold water and two good pinches of sea salt
Place lid on the pan, bring to a rolling boil, then turn down to minimum heat and cook for 30 minutes
When cooked, turn off the heat and with the lid still in place, allow to stand for 8 - 10 minutes

To serve:

Fluff the rice in the pan and place a serving in each bowl
Ladle curry over the rice, so that the juices can soak into it

ENJOY

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Vivo 5R  Photo 

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-07-2020 at 08:04 AM.
12-07-2020, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Banned

Chicken Scarpariello with Sausage

Just made this the other night. This was my third time. My wife and I love this dish.

Chicken Scarpariello with Sausage

Ingredients
  • 1½ pounds fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise
  • 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
  • 3 links sweet Italian sausage
  • 6 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • ½ large red bell pepper, chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves, finely grated
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • ½ cup chopped hot, sweet pickled Peppadew peppers in brine
  • ¼ cup white wine vinegar
  • 3 sprigs rosemary
  • Chopped parsley (for serving
RecipePreparation
  • Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 450°. Toss potatoes with 3 Tbsp. oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Arrange cut side down and roast on lower rack until tender and cut sides are browned, 20–30 minutes; set aside.
  • Meanwhile, heat remaining 3 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook sausages, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 6–8 minutes (they will not be fully cooked). Transfer to a plate.
  • Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Cook in same skillet, turning occasionally, until golden brown on both sides, 8–10 minutes (they will also be undercooked). Transfer to plate with sausage.
  • Cook onions, bell pepper, and garlic in same skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally and scraping bottom of pan, until tender and beginning to brown, 10–12 minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced and you can no longer smell the alcohol, about 8 minutes. Add broth, peppers, vinegar, and rosemary and bring to a boil; cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Nestle chicken into onion mixture, then transfer skillet to upper rack of oven and roast chicken 10 minutes. Add sausages to skillet, pushing them into onion mixture, and continue to roast until chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°, 5–10 minutes.
  • Top with parsley and serve with roasted potatoes alongside.

12-24-2020, 12:16 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’ve given this recipe to many, not one has ever said they weren’t impressed with the taste and texture. I make a double batch, cook them and freeze the leftovers in packs of three. Reheat in a toaster oven, toaster or even microwave (a bit limp, but if its all you have.
Attached Images

12-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #51
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I’ve given this recipe to many, not one has ever said they weren’t impressed with the taste and texture. I make a double batch, cook them and freeze the leftovers in packs of three. Reheat in a toaster oven, toaster or even microwave (a bit limp, but if its all you have.
These sound great! I love oats, and adore pancakes.

I'd never heard of "double acting baking powder", and had to look it up to see if it's available in the UK. It is, via US import, on Amazon UK, but I'll have to see if there's an alternative...

Thanks for posting the recipe. Looks like a keeper

Merry Christmas!!
12-24-2020, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Here's my own take on a "chow mein"... similar to what I'd buy from my nearest good Chinese take-away, but heavier on the meat and veg... and, if it's not immodest to say, even tastier.

If you like Chinese-style food, give this a try... It's easy, reliable and awesome

Favourite Pork Chow Mein

Approx 1kg (2lbs) diced pork (if you prefer, use chicken or beef)
250g (9oz) x medium egg noodles
1 x large white onion, halved and sliced
2 x red, orange or yellow bell peppers, de-seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
300g (10oz) x white closed-cup or chestnut mushrooms, sliced thickly
6 x cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
Light soy sauce
Dark soy sauce
White rice vinegar
Sesame oil
Fine salt
Caster ("extra fine") sugar
Chinese five spice powder
Cooking oil (sunflower, canola, etc.)

At least a couple of hours before cooking the meal (or preferably the night before):

Make the marinade using 4 tbsp light soy sauce, 4 tbsp white rice vinegar, 2 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tsp fine salt and 2 tsp Chinese five spice powder. Combine and mix well.

Using a sharp, non-serrated knife, slice the chunks of meat (across the grain for tenderness) into thin, bite-size pieces.

Transfer meat to a bowl, pour over the marinade, and massage thoroughly with your hands until all of the meat is well coated.

Place lid on the bowl (or cover with clear food wrap) and place in the refrigerator (not the freezer!) until needed.

For the main recipe:

In a large pan of boiling water, cook the egg noodles as per the instructions on the packet (typically 4 - 5 minutes). Drain, pour over cold water, allow to stand for a minute, drain again, then add 2 tbsp sesame oil and toss to prevent the noodles from sticking together.

In 1 tbsp cooking oil, sauté the marinaded meat pieces over a medium heat until fully (but not over-) cooked. Transfer to a bowl using a slotted spoon, and pour any remaining juices into a jug.

To the jug, add 5 tbsp light soy sauce, 5 tbsp dark soy sauce, 2 tbsp white rice vinegar and 1 tsp caster ("extra fine") sugar. Micro-wave for 30 seconds to help the sugar dissolve fully, and mix well.

In 1 tbsp cooking oil, sauté the onions, bell peppers and garlic until just translucent but still crunchy (around 2 minutes should do it), and set aside.

Gently sauté the mushrooms to release some of the liquid, drain and add to the large pan of noodles, along with the meat, onions, peppers and garlic.

Pour the jug of sauce into the pan, and toss everything (I use tongs for this) so that the noodles, meat, vegetables and mushrooms are mixed and coated well.

Place over a medium heat to warm through, stirring occasionally to make sure everything is heated properly and coated evenly.

Serves six
I made this today, it was great. Thanks

12-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #53
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SimonC Quote
I made this today, it was great. Thanks
Ah, that's great to hear, Simon. I'm so glad you enjoyed it

You may have noticed that my most recent "Pork, Mushroom & Coconut Curry" recipe uses a suspiciously similar mix of spices and seasoning to one of yours. That's no accident... I tweaked my original recipe to benefit from yours, and it worked a treat, so thanks right back at you
01-13-2021, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Another one to add to the 'regulars' list.

Paneer butter masala.
Okay, disclaimer, you can heat some of the butter with cardamom pods (a couple), curry leaves (a couple), cloves (around 4) and cinnamon (1 stick) prior to continuing to spice the initial cooking medium but it's not absolutely required. You can also add chillis - the below is milder than my tastes so suits SWMBO but I typically add some fresh red chilli after the fact.
I use salted butter as that's usually in the house, but you can always go unsalted and season as you see fit.

Ingredients - serves 2
1 white onion.
6-7 tomatoes.
2 green chillis (the original recipe says to also add 6-7 dried red chillis but I've not tried that yet)
20g cashews.
1/2 tsp garlic paste
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder (optional)
1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder (optional, fine without it but it adds a typical 'red' colour to curries)
200g paneer
1tsp dried fenugreek leaves
butter - quantities as below.
Coriander and cream to garnish. Mint has been mentioned as an optional garnish, which I'm yet to try but sounds great.

1. Melt butter (I go generous, circa 40-50g), soften onion, finely chopped. Then soften cashews, tomato (roughly chopped) and chillis (roughly chopped) (5-10 minutes usually). When reasonably tender set aside to cool then blend 'til smooth. Will refer to this as the 'paste' going forwards.
2. In clean pan, melt butter (again, a generous knob), cook garlic and ginger pastes for a few minutes on low-medium heat.
3. Soften paneer (cut into chunks) in bowl of warm water for 20 minutes.
4. Add paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and chilli powder and garam masala powder if opting for them. Cook on high heat for 20 minutes (spits/bubbles a reasonable amount so a lid is useful here, as pictured). If making larger quantities, it's easier to add the powders to a portion of the paste, mix, then add the rest of the paste before mixing again.
5. Add paneer and cook for a further 5 minutes. If sauce is looking too thick/pasty, add water*.
6. Add fenugreek leaves, mix thoroughly and cook for a further couple of minutes until aromatic.
7. Serve with garnish as you see fit - I go for finely chopped, fresh red chillis, fresh coriander and a light dribble of cream on mine. I typically serve with a naan as opposed to rice, but you can go for the whole hog if you want.

*the beauty of this bit is there's a lot of latitude in how much water you can add. If you add too much, simmer it lightly until you've reached your desired consistency. Overcooking the paneer might make it a bit more 'rubbery' but doesn't detriment the rest of the meal.

01-17-2021, 08:59 AM - 2 Likes   #55
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
(Mostly) Traditional Greek Pastitsio

This is an absolutely fantastic dish - really, really delicious, and proper comfort food. I only made it for the first time today, and - amazingly - it came out perfectly... I wouldn't change a thing. It's based on a recipe I found online, but personalised (as all good recipes are, of course) based on my own tastes and availability of ingredients. This is incredibly similar to the authentic Greek version I enjoyed while on vacation in the Ionian islands many years ago, though IMHO even nicer

Pastitsio is a layered pasta and meat sauce dish - rather like lasagne. There are three main components - the paster layers, meat layer, and cheesy bechamel topping.

For the pasta:

250g small shape pasta (I used orzo, but macaroni is, I think, more traditional)
1 x large egg, beaten
4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese

Cook the pasta as per instructions on pack. Drain well, then return to the pan and fill with cold water. When the pasta has cooled, drain again and transfer to a bowl, pour over the beaten egg and sprinkle the parmesan on top. Now, with clean hands, gently but thoroughly mix so that all of the pasta is coated with the egg and parmesan. Place a lid or wrap over the bowl and set in the fridge.

For the meat sauce:

400 - 500g ground beef (or half-and-half beef and lamb)
1 x large onion, finely chopped
1 x red bell pepper, chopped small
2 x good-sized cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
1 x 400g tin good chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato or red pepper paste (I use Öncü Mild Red Pepper Paste)
1 x vegetable stock cube (I use OXO)
250ml hot water
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp allspice powder
1/2 tsp cinammon powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp Olive oil

In a large pan, add the olive oil, onion and bell pepper. Stir to coat, then bring to a medium heat and cook until the vegetables are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute (you should be able to smell the garlic strongly, but don't want it to burn). Turn off the heat, transfer the vegetables to a bowl and set aside.

Dissolve vegetable stock cube in the hot water and add to the pan. Add the ground beef and use a wooden spoon to break it up and stir into the liquid. It should end up looking like a rather unpleasant pink "mush"! Turn the heat back on, set it to high, and cook the beef until it's no longer pink and most of the liquid has evaporated. The meat should have a fine, grainy texture with no big clumps.

Reduce the heat to medium and add the cooked onion and bell pepper, chopped tomatoes (including the juices), tomato or red pepper paste, red wine vinegar, chilli, allspice and cinammon powders, and salt. Mix thoroughly and bring to a simmer for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The resulting sauce should be reaosnably thick (if it's watery, turn up the heat and evaporate some of the moisture). Check seasoning and add a little more salt if needed.

Turn off the heat and allow the meat sauce to cool so that it's just warm.

Assembling the dish:

Take a baking dish (the kind you'd use for a lasagne) and spread half of the pasta mix so that it forms a layer at the bottom. Now spoon the meat sauce on top and spread it out into another thick layer, making sure it goes right to the edges. Spread the remaining pasta over the meat sauce. You should have enough to cover it, but don't worry if you don't - just try to spread what you have evenly.

For the white sauce topping:

3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp plain white flour
350ml whole milk
1 x large egg, beaten
5 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp black pepper
Pinch of cinammon powder

In a pan, melt the butter and bring it to a gentle bubble over a medium heat. Add the flour and whisk briskly and continuously until a smooth paste is formed. If it's too runny, add a little more flour. Cook for a minute longer then gradually add the milk a little at a time while whisking. At this point the sauce may seem thin, but continue to cook and whisk and it will start to thicken. It should reach the point of being quite thick but still pourable (add a little extra milk if required to reach this consistency). Now remove from heat, and whisk in the parmesan cheese and black pepper. Allow to cool for a minute, then slowly pour in the beaten egg while whisking. Allow to stand for a further minute.

Pour the white sauce into the baking dish, using the back of a spoon to spread it evenly over the pasta, and right up to the edges. Sprinkle a little dusting of cinammon powder over it for visual appeal.

Place dish in the middle of the oven, pre-heated to 180 deg C, for 35 minutes. When finished, allow to stand for 10 minutes, then use a spatula to divide into six equal-sized portions. Each portion is plenty for one person, especially if served with a side of salad, vegetables and/or crusty bread. I served ours with par-boiled green beans...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-17-2021 at 09:10 AM.