Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2020, 08:05 AM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't used an electric blanket since childhood, and that was only ever at my grandma's. My Mum and Dad always said they were dangerous, especially if you leave them on while you sleep. Was that ever the case, and if so, is it still - or did my folks simply not want to spend money on one? I'd have thought modern versions at least would have some kind of cut-off protection in the event of failure, and be made from flame-retardent material...

10-24-2020, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
I vote for the heated mattress pad....very similar to the blanket (toasty warm) but you're laying on top of the heat, instead of underneath it with a blanket.

Turn it on about 30 minutes before bedtime and it's just perfect...
Oooooo. In-teres-ting....

Kirk B.

---------- Post added 10-24-20 at 08:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I haven't used an electric blanket since childhood, and that was only ever at my grandma's. My Mum and Dad always said they were dangerous, especially if you leave them on while you sleep. Was that ever the case, and if so, is it still - or did my folks simply not want to spend money on one? I'd have thought modern versions at least would have some kind of cut-off protection in the event of failure, and be made from flame-retardent material...
The last one I bought was about 10 years ago, and it had a warning to put it as the top layer, not under a quilt or comforter. My assumption then was that it could catch fire, but it never did.

Kirk B.
10-24-2020, 09:31 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
When I was building my house in 2003, the new electrical codes called for arc fault breakers protecting the outlets in bedrooms.
It wasn't hard to do the math on that one.
10-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #19
Pentaxian

TOTALLY in "another direction"! Over the years, I spent quite a lot of time (and money) heavily insulating every side of the house & roof. Nowadays I mainly wear shorts and shirt in and around the house, and the same in bed with 1 blanket , sometimes 2 + a thicker bed-cover - over me.

The last electric blanket I bought is in a drawer under the bed - but not been used for a very long time!

PS: my body is VERY temperature-sensitive - anything above 30C or BELOW about 20C is "most uncomfortable" and makes me want to remove/add clothing/ bed-coverings as appropriate.

Thus, "Insulate, Insulate" and then add even more insulation!

10-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It's the opposite here. I like them, Mrs P doesn't. I'll bet you can guess how many we have.
Zero?
10-26-2020, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Give that man a cheroot.
10-26-2020, 05:51 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Co-OP house I lived in at Purdue had a cold air dorm. Which required that the windows remain open 24/7. An electric blanket was a wonderful thing on cold January nights. Although the windows did close up to just a gap some nights.

Fast forward 26 years...

We haven't turned our heat on yet, and the house is at 61F, but I do have my electric blanket to help keep my toes warm at night. Trying to see how long we can stand it

11-01-2020, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
TOTALLY in "another direction"! Over the years, I spent quite a lot of time (and money) heavily insulating every side of the house & roof. Nowadays I mainly wear shorts and shirt in and around the house, and the same in bed with 1 blanket, sometimes 2 + a thicker bed-cover - over me.

The last electric blanket I bought is in a drawer under the bed - but not been used for a very long time!

PS: my body is VERY temperature-sensitive - anything above 30C or BELOW about 20C is "most uncomfortable" and makes me want to remove/add clothing/ bed-coverings as appropriate.

Thus, "Insulate, insulate" and then add even more insulation!
HaHa, My first career move was a 4-year apprenticeship as an industrial/commercial insulator, insulation is the best move for cutting heating/cooling costs but your best move for comfort is to control the humidity. Be it warm or cold, too moist in the summer with the A/C on and you will feel clammy, to dry in the winter and you compensate by turning up the heat, check out some humidity comfort charts!
11-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #24

Dual control is a must.!!!.. My husband likes to be extra warm and I prefer it cool.
11-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I also use an electric blanket. However, it's not easy washing dishes or going to the bathroom with it
Now that had me laughing!
11-01-2020, 12:10 PM   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Montana can hold it's own with Canada. A week ago we had a blizzard and got about 16" of snow, and chill factor of Minus 20F!! The lake hadn't even begun to freeze over yet. Way too early. Now, we are back in the mid 50's and boats are on the lake.
11-01-2020, 01:06 PM   #27
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Montana can hold it's own with Canada. A week ago we had a blizzard and got about 16" of snow, and chill factor of Minus 20F!!
Once, while living in Australia, after several years away from the Canadian climate, I had to return to Canada urgently. It was Australian summer, and Canadian winter. Due to late flight bookings, it was about 35 hours of traveling. Finally in Montreal, I reached the airport door, which opened automatically in front of me. It was like being hit in the face with a block of ice! The fact that I did not own a coat worthy of Montreal winter did not help the rest of my body either. Despite my having lived in such weather for 19 years, I could not believe the sensation. I sprang back into the terminal, giving myself a few moments to mentally prepare for what was waiting for me outside.

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
The lake hadn't even begun to freeze over yet. Way too early. Now, we are back in the mid 50's and boats are on the lake.
I assume the boats had some people in them, yes? Several times I had to go to Germany in winter, and I was shocked and amused seeing people sitting outside, drinking cold beer, or whatever. I know that most of my anatomy is pretty much the same as that of other homo sapiens, but some part of my physiology is not normal, as I get shivers just watching people doing things in the cold.
11-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #28
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes the boaters were fishing. I know that sensation. We made a trip to Hawaii in February. It was back when you deplaned on the field and walked to the terminal. Of course we didn't pack winter coats to Hawaii. Well upon return, like you; when that frigid blast hit us when the plane door opened, it was numbing!
11-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #29
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
TOTALLY in "another direction"! Over the years, I spent quite a lot of time (and money) heavily insulating every side of the house & roof. Nowadays I mainly wear shorts and shirt in and around the house, and the same in bed with 1 blanket , sometimes 2 + a thicker bed-cover - over me.
Looks like the current norm here is 25cm of insulation in the walls and 40cm in the roof. Of course, anything built before 2000 will have less, and anything from before, say, 1950 may have very little (but will most likely have had insulation added later anyway).

As for electric blankets, nope, not for me. Although I might not meet the age requirement yet Anyway, a down duvet is plenty warm. And we like fresh air and sleep with an open bedroom window all year round.
11-01-2020, 03:54 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I use one year round even if just on 1. I put under the sheet.