Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2020, 03:51 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Random Discussion Finds a Pentaxian Co-worker

I had a conversation about photography the other day over lunch before we had to stop eating in the room for better distancing. I mentioned using Pentax and our financial assistant was like, "That's what we had."

She's not sure what all they have in storage because they never use any of the film stuff anymore and rarely the digital. But after talking, she's fairly sure it was a K-1000 and several lenses, though she doesn't think they were Pentax lenses. She also has 2 DSLRs that she's not sure of the models but thinks one was a Super. I suggested the 100D Super and she thinks that could be it with the other one being the plain 100D. Plus new lenses to go with the DSLR because "the old ones didn't work right with the new camera." I'm curious to know what lenses from the film days that they have.

She didn't think they were worth anything and mentioned that she should just get rid of them to clear out some space. I think I convinced her to at least get me a list of what she has so I can either see about selling them for her or a price range to expect for the gear for her to sell herself. The glass I figure has to be pretty decent since they apparently used to shoot weddings, though I don't know if she just meant family weddings or actually as a business. Worst case scenario, she just gives everything to me and I have to sort through it.

Not really a lot to discuss, but I was just surprised to come across someone else that uses Pentax at work in the main office. That makes 2 people I personally know that uses Pentax. (One of these days, I'll have to broach the topic again with my uncle and see about getting his old K-1000 and glass, or at least borrowing some of the glass, since he doesn't use it anymore and my goddaughter shoots Nikon instead...)

10-29-2020, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neat story.

It's always fun when a random conversation reveals similar tastes, hobbies, or experiences.

Before I retired, I found out that one of my senior employees shot Pentax film a number of years ago. A few months later, he laid a camera bag of stuff on my desk, and said I'd probably get more use out of it than he would, after it had sat in storage for numerous years. Hmmm, come to think of it, that was just before annual performance review time... (just kidding). There were several decent items, including Pentax-M lenses and a couple of cameras including a Ricoh SLR.

Also found out that another one of my staff also shot with Pentax -- film and digital.

- Craig
10-29-2020, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You must marry her immediately, Gorgarath. Your current situations do not matter.
10-29-2020, 06:57 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You must marry her immediately, Gorgarath. Your current situations do not matter.
I have a feeling neither her, her husband, nor my wife would like that idea.

10-29-2020, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I have a feeling neither her, her husband, nor my wife would like that idea.
Camera soulmates override conventional relationships in the cosmic scale, Gorgarath!
10-29-2020, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #6
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Camera soulmates override conventional relationships in the cosmic scale, Gorgarath!
But she almost never uses her camera, so I don't think she'd be my camera soulmate. She gets it out every once in a great while if her kids want to get a family picture for a Christmas card or something. She's about ready to stop bothering with it and just use the camera on her phone. (And hence why I'm trying to get a list of what she has so at the very least, I can get first pick on anything interesting. XD )
10-29-2020, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

About 35 years ago a friend of my wife was talking about an old German camera her mother , who had been a stewardess for a European airline in the '50's, had bought. Apparently it was quite a good camera, and was stored in the linen closet at her mother's home, where it had sat...unused for some years.

I asked her to check it out and get the brand, model etc. I was hoping for a Leica M3 , something like that. I let her know that I might be interested in buying it.

To my dismay, it was a Kodak.
10-29-2020, 10:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
To my dismay, it was a Kodak.

Many older Kodak camera models were made in Germany. Among those some are excellent.

Chris

10-30-2020, 12:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was gifted a Minolta SRT303 with Rokkor 58mm f/1.4 by a colleague. As it turned out, the mirror didn't return after taking a shot. It was a quick fix by my repair guy. The lens aperture was stuck wide open. It is still in the shop. Looking forward to getting it back as I shelled out for an MD to NX mount adapter to use it.
11-10-2020, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Look I'm willing to accept any and all wayward lenses without a place to stay.
11-11-2020, 02:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

We had a mate who was an electrician in to do a homer, and we got chatting about cameras. He said his dad had left him a big box of camera bodies, lenses and stuff, and he wanted to know if I wanted to buy it for $50. I asked what make it was and he said it was some foreign make beginning with an "L". Turns out it was all Leica gear, so I went on the web and printed off a price list of second hand Leica stuff and he suddenly decided that $50 was a bit low....

Then I was sitting at work gassing about something or other and we got to lenses, and my boss mentioned he's got this cracking little lens with a K mount. One thing led to another and turns out he's another Pentax owner who keeps it quiet around the Canikon crowd
11-11-2020, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A coworker of mine noticed the various ME Supers in varying states of disrepair around my desk and mentioned he thinks he has an old Pentax if I wanted it. I ended up with a pristine P30T, a Cokin filter holder and some filters, an SMC-M 28-50mm, a random slow something-210mm zoom and a flash with caked-in batteries (eww)

The camera is cool, but I haven't really given the lens a chance. I already have a 50mm and a 28mm prime lenses, but this thing might be more convenient.
11-11-2020, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-15 years ago some coworkers were rather derisive of my continued preference for film and film cameras.
Since then I don't recall the subject of photography coming up again.

Chris