Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2020, 02:16 PM   #16
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the end of an icon. No one will ever be able to say "Bond - James Bond" like he did. Many other memorable movies too.

10-31-2020, 02:25 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
He dodged a lot of bullets to get to 90!
10-31-2020, 02:27 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And then he made this movie...
Ya but you could say only Sean and Lady gaga could pull off wearing those boots
10-31-2020, 06:36 PM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Sad to see Connery pass away. I always would give any movie he was in , a shot as I liked his acting style. Also liked fellow Canadian William Shatner and Roger Moore, James Garner, Clint Eastwood, Steve McQueen and William Powell.

In my view, they don't crank out actors like these guys anymore.......and perhaps movies as they did in the past.
I agree! Kevin Costner is another actor I like.

10-31-2020, 06:44 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
William Shatner is 89...
Yeah the Old Timers are getting scarce. The current crop of actors don't move me at all.
10-31-2020, 06:45 PM   #21
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I agree! Kevin Costner is another actor I like.
Costner is pretty good. Some of the movies he's been in I've not overly liked, but it's not his fault they changed some of the movies a good bit from the excellent books on which they were based.
10-31-2020, 07:39 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That makes at least two of my favourite actors from the 1960s gone this year: first Diana Rigg and now Sean Connery. Connery always seemed to be playing himself in his movies, but his screen presence and character usually allowed me to look past that. Others may do the same (Hugh Grant and Woody Allen come to mind) but none has managed to carry it off with as much success as Connery, in my view.

A good innings, though. The Scottish nationalist cause won’t look the same without him.

10-31-2020, 10:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

His dry humor and acting talent will be missed.
11-01-2020, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
RIP big guy! He was apparently not easy to work with. He priced himself out of the Bond franchise. He was the producers' choice as Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings series, but IIRC director Peter Jackson said the back-to-back filming of the trilogy in New Zealand would mean that the cast and crew would be in each other's company for a year, and he didn't think he could put up with him, and got Ian MacKellan instead.

I loved the way he basically refused to compromise in The Hunt for Red October, so guys like Sam Neill are putting on kind of Russian accents and our Sean (who was the captain) is still a working class Glaswegian.

His Oscar was well-deserved as the crooked Irish cop in The Untouchables. Anyone who's seen 'The Man Who Would Be King' with Michael Caine will have enjoyed his comedic skills, too.
11-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #25
Veteran Member

One of the great joys of my childhood before DVDs and streaming was watching James Bond movies (Sean Connery much more so than Roger Moore of course) with my Dad when they'd come on TV.
11-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
RIP big guy! He was apparently not easy to work with. He priced himself out of the Bond franchise. He was the producers' choice as Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings series, but IIRC director Peter Jackson said the back-to-back filming of the trilogy in New Zealand would mean that the cast and crew would be in each other's company for a year, and he didn't think he could put up with him, and got Ian MacKellan instead.

I loved the way he basically refused to compromise in The Hunt for Red October, so guys like Sam Neill are putting on kind of Russian accents and our Sean (who was the captain) is still a working class Glaswegian.

His Oscar was well-deserved as the crooked Irish cop in The Untouchables. Anyone who's seen 'The Man Who Would Be King' with Michael Caine will have enjoyed his comedic skills, too.
Much as I hate to point it out old chap, but Sir Sean did not have a Glasgow accent! He was born and raised in Edinburgh, had a number of jobs after he left school at 13 (including milkman and coffin polisher) before joining the Royal Navy. After that he became a body builder and part time artists model before becoming an actor.

The local rumour where I grew up was that his mum lived down the road from us, I never managed to confirm this until after his death when a poster in another forum said the same thing. Between us we established we were talking about the same location, and that we had lived within a few streets of each other for a brief period!

His breadth of roles was amazing, even the flops are good to watch if you watch him play the role, and he has certainly left his mark on the world. Rest easy "Big Tam",
11-08-2020, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
He was born and raised in Edinburgh
Ah, so he was actually soft, then! ;D

Thanks for all the info, Liney. I did enjoy both Glasgow and Edinburgh, but felt safer in Edinburgh's outer suburbs.
11-09-2020, 03:12 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the info, Liney. I did enjoy both Glasgow and Edinburgh, but felt safer in Edinburgh's outer suburbs.
Being originally fro Edinburgh I don't dare go to Glasgow, and there were some outer suburbs of Edinburgh I definitely did not feel safe in!

I worked with another bloke from Edinburgh, and as we were waiting for a meeting to start we were just chatting away. The rest of the attendees were Australian, and somehow we got onto the subject of football (soccer as the Aussies called it). There were two football tams in Edinburgh, Hibernian (Hibs) who played in green and white and Heart of Midlothian (Hearts) who played in maroon and blue. Like Glasgow, football in Edinburgh took on sectarian undertones and the majority of the supporters for one team were Catholic and majority of the other team supporters were Protestant.

This other bloke and I were both Hibs supporters, not for any religious reason but just because he had grown up in that part of town and I had a relative who used to live next to the ground. The other bloke mentioned that he used to live in Dalry, which was where Hearts had their ground, so he had to be very careful of what colours he wore on a saturday because if he was seen wearing green he could be beaten up, or if he left his scarf in his car it might get vandalised.

The Aussies thought we were having them on....
11-09-2020, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Might be something in that, as I had heard Connery was a hyperchondriac. Not as tough as Timothy Dalton anyway, who did a lot of his own stunts. Still, Pierce Brosnan was the most effete of the Bonds - crikey, he even sang in a musial later I can't imaging Daniel Craig singing in a musical.

I once read a list of things you would never have seen James Bond doing, like playing a xylophone, drinking a pint of Guinness, waiting for a bus*, doing a jigsaw etc. I think you could add singing in a musical to the list.

* Bond did get on a service bus once, in Licence to Kill, although he did not have to wait - it arrived just he walked up to the bus stop, which was amazing because the place looked like it only got one bus a week. Of course, Moore's Bond drove a bus under a low bridge, and its roof came off, one of two Bond stunts I was slightly involved with.
11-09-2020, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Being originally fro Edinburgh I don't dare go to Glasgow, and there were some outer suburbs of Edinburgh I definitely did not feel safe in!

I worked with another bloke from Edinburgh, and as we were waiting for a meeting to start we were just chatting away. The rest of the attendees were Australian, and somehow we got onto the subject of football (soccer as the Aussies called it). There were two football tams in Edinburgh, Hibernian (Hibs) who played in green and white and Heart of Midlothian (Hearts) who played in maroon and blue. Like Glasgow, football in Edinburgh took on sectarian undertones and the majority of the supporters for one team were Catholic and majority of the other team supporters were Protestant.

This other bloke and I were both Hibs supporters, not for any religious reason but just because he had grown up in that part of town and I had a relative who used to live next to the ground. The other bloke mentioned that he used to live in Dalry, which was where Hearts had their ground, so he had to be very careful of what colours he wore on a saturday because if he was seen wearing green he could be beaten up, or if he left his scarf in his car it might get vandalised.

The Aussies thought we were having them on....
One of my grandfather's was born in Dalbeattie, Scotland, then he lived for awhile from around 1900-1910 in Edinburgh, specifically the Leith district. He had a fish monger's shop on/ or around the Leith docks. He immigrated to Canada, shortly after 1910.

I understand Connery lived in a Edinburgh district close by, but of course my grandpa was long gone from Edinburgh by the time Sean was born.

I've visited Edinburgh three times over the years, lovely city , steeped in history...and legend for that matter. I've been to Glasgow once, back in the early '70's.