Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I think you might be surprised at how many log onto the site during their *ahem* lunch hour or coffee break.
Both reasons why I went with total members instead of people online at any one point in time. Visitor numbers fluctuate hour to hour while total members stay even over a longer time period despite also fluctuating over the long term.

11-09-2020, 03:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I think you might be surprised at how many log onto the site during their *ahem* lunch hour or coffee break.
Then you must have a more relaxed IT department than mine, a) I don't have time for a lunch break and b) this site is on the verbotten list!
11-09-2020, 03:30 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Then you must have a more relaxed IT department than mine, a) I don't have time for a lunch break and b) this site is on the verbotten list!
What sort of sick puppy workplace IT manager will put this forum on some no-go list???
11-09-2020, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Working mostly from home during COVID my home desktop shares desk space and my big monitor with my work laptop. So one tap of a button and I'm using my home computer. Only for a few minutes in between long, hard sessions of work, of course.

11-13-2020, 02:38 AM   #20
Pentaxian

None of us actually shoot pentax, we're all really just Sony shooters in denial.
11-13-2020, 03:14 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Sh*t. I've been rumbled.
11-14-2020, 01:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What sort of sick puppy workplace IT manager will put this forum on some no-go list???
One who start with a blanket ban on everything, and only permits access to sites if you apply for permission and justify why you need it. In my job I can't justify this site as a valid reference source.

11-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One who start with a blanket ban on everything, and only permits access to sites if you apply for permission and justify why you need it. In my job I can't justify this site as a valid reference source.
Aha. Sorry to hear!
11-16-2020, 06:54 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I work for a DoD organization, and I'm a little surprised they don't do this. Some things are blocked like YouTube, but that's less for security and more for network bandwidth. I think they don't do it because a) they'd have to hire a bunch of people to vet and update the white list and you'd constantly be fighting with them about whether something is really work or personal, and b) it's a bit of a morale thing to allow people occasional personal web access at work.
11-16-2020, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
A Sony shooter?
11-17-2020, 02:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I work for a DoD organization, and I'm a little surprised they don't do this. Some things are blocked like YouTube, but that's less for security and more for network bandwidth. I think they don't do it because a) they'd have to hire a bunch of people to vet and update the white list and you'd constantly be fighting with them about whether something is really work or personal, and b) it's a bit of a morale thing to allow people occasional personal web access at work.
I just wish my lot would ban Wikipedia, the number of times someone tries to quote it as a "referenced source of technical information"
11-17-2020, 07:56 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just wish my lot would ban Wikipedia, the number of times someone tries to quote it as a "referenced source of technical information"
Wikipedia gets a bad rap. No, you shouldn't be referencing it as an authoritative technical publication for research. But as general knowledge on general topics it's the modern Encyclopedia Britannica on steroids. I can't tell you the number of times I've, for example, just read the whole article in Wikipedia on Greenland or Burma or something because I wanted to know about Greenland or Burma. It's tremendous.