Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
careful for what you wish for: " . . . seeking an up-close view . . . "

some times you can be in the wrong place, wrong time when photographing [ video making ]

QuoteQuote:
Two kayakers were knocked into the water Monday by a humpback whale. Video taken of the episode indicated that the pair of women, who were shaken but unharmed, were nearly enveloped in the whale’s mouth.

“I’m thinking, ‘I’m dead. I’m dead.’ I thought it was going to land on me. Next thing I know, I’m underwater,” Liz Cottriel, one of the kayakers, told Fox television affiliate KMPH.

Cottriel and a friend, Julie McSorley, were paddling in California’s San Luis Obispo Bay, where humpback whales have reportedly been moving into shallower waters in search of food. Those seeking an up-close view are warned by local authorities to, among other precautions, stay away from large schools of fish, because they attract the whales.

McSorley told KMPH, “I saw the big pool of fish, the big bait ball come up out of the water. I saw the whale come up. I thought, ‘Oh no! It’s too close.’

“The whale was right here in my face, literally,” she said.

“All of a sudden, I lifted up, and I was in the water,” McSorley continued. She was using her phone to take video of the scene at the time, as were others nearby who saw activity by fish and birds and hoped they might soon capture a whale breach, which occurs when most or all of the whale’s body leaves the water.
Humpback whale nearly swallows pair of kayakers - The Washington Post

follow link for the videos

11-04-2020, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
some times you can be in the wrong place, wrong time when photographing [ video making ]

Humpback whale nearly swallows pair of kayakers - The Washington Post

follow link for the videos
Paywall...

Steve
11-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Paywall...

Steve
try these ?

A pair of kayakers in California barely avoid being swallowed by a humpback whale

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/a-pair-of-kayakers-in-california-b...umpback-whale/

story no video

https://www.bing.com/search?q=A+pair+of+kayakers+in+California+barely+avoid+...ANCMS9&PC=HCTS

video
11-04-2020, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
wrong place, wrong time when photographing
I'm glad they were not hurt, but they knowingly put themselves in that risky situation.

11-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I agree

and the video shows they were not alone, the area was crowded with other kayaks and what appears to be paddle boards
11-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and the video shows they were not alone, the area was crowded with other kayaks and what appears to be paddle boards
I've seen similar behavior with people gathering to photo around bull elk in Montana and moose in Maine, oblivious to the potential danger. I find myself hoping for their safe experience.
11-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
people and Bison in Yellowstone comes to mind

I saw a group of such humpback whales bubble feeding off of Auk Bay near Juneau Alaska but we were in a 40 person tourist boat which kept its legal distance, the company could have lost its license other wise

but we did see a smaller boat power right through the whales

perhaps this whale didn't notice the kayak because it wasn't in motion

11-04-2020, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was spending some time at minimium focus distance with this snake.... all nice and slow and calm when a lady passed by.... saw it... screamed and ran..... upset the snake somewhat..... lesson learned.

11-04-2020, 02:27 PM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I was spending some time at minimium focus distance with this snake.... all nice and slow and calm when a lady passed by.... saw it... screamed and ran..... upset the snake somewhat..... lesson learned.
mamba?

scratch that - tiger snake...
11-04-2020, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've had such experiences

with the snake safely behind a zoo's glass window

otherwise

but I don't mind handling constrictors with owner's permission and guidance
11-05-2020, 06:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

people and Bison in Yellowstone comes to mind

We saw a lady about a foot from a large female Elk in Yellowstone. It seemed to us that she was trying to 'relate' to the Elk. Not recommended. We also saw a 'frenzy' of people swarming around a Buffalo herd in Yellowstone...some in vehicles, some outside and far too close to the large animals for safety.

I do think that many people who live in large cities and never generally do much outdoor, rural activity are so taken by seeing wildlife in all it's grandeur, that they can become oblivious to the fact that large, wild animals can be pose a danger to them. Parks with wildlife close by ain't zoos as there are no barriers placed between....for everyone's protection, including animals.

I have lot of respect for Yellowstone rangers who have to be on constant alert...'educating' many tourists about wildlife/safety and moving people along when things get close to getting Western..... real quick.
11-05-2020, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
We saw a lady about a foot from a large female Elk in Yellowstone. It seemed to us that she was trying to 'relate' to the Elk. Not recommended. We also saw a 'frenzy' of people swarming around a Buffalo herd in Yellowstone...some in vehicles, some outside and far too close to the large animals for safety.

I do think that many people who live in large cities and never generally do much outdoor, rural activity are so taken by seeing wildlife in all it's grandeur, that they can become oblivious to the fact that large, wild animals can be pose a danger to them. Parks with wildlife close by ain't zoos as there are no barriers placed between....for everyone's protection, including animals.

I have lot of respect for Yellowstone rangers who have to be on constant alert...'educating' many tourists about wildlife/safety and moving people along when things get close to getting Western..... real quick.
This recalls the French tourist who thought that the bull bison laying down was not an interesting enough image so he went up and kicked the Bison.He made it to the ICU but not for long. I have friends who raised Bison/Buffalo and they told me some hair raising stories about dealing with them. Not a critter to mess with. Also leave the loons alone, they will abandon their nests or not breed if harassed. (Loon count on the lake near my house was down this year.)
11-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
This recalls the French tourist who thought that the bull bison laying down was not an interesting enough image so he went up and kicked the Bison.He made it to the ICU but not for long. I have friends who raised Bison/Buffalo and they told me some hair raising stories about dealing with them. Not a critter to mess with. Also leave the loons alone, they will abandon their nests or not breed if harassed. (Loon count on the lake near my house was down this year.)
And that is why you do not pester any living creature with the strength and/or mass needed to turn you into a flying sandbag. Or, you know, any living creature that isn't a pet (and even when it's a pet, respect them. I got a couple warning scratches from pestering the fluffball a tad too much ).
11-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
And that is why you do not pester any living creature . . .
any can bite [ even us under the right circumstances ]

and some small ones' bite can be quite bad
11-05-2020, 10:24 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
And that is why you do not pester any living creature with the strength and/or mass needed to turn you into a flying sandbag. Or, you know, any living creature that isn't a pet (and even when it's a pet, respect them. I got a couple warning scratches from pestering the fluffball a tad too much ).
Especially Canadian Geese. I'd much rather walk into a bear than a flock of those...