Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Especially Canadian Geese. I'd much rather walk into a bear than a flock of those...
Then when you try to run away, you slip in their other gift that keeps on giving!

11-06-2020, 07:44 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I do wonder if some of the ignorance concerning wild animals stems from the habit of giving young children 'cuddly' toys in the form of animals - I am thinking particularly of teddy bears. Many other animals responsible for injuries to adults are also given as toys to children.

I have seen a photo of a group of people (possibly in Yellowstone) exiting their car while being approached by a family of bears - one adult, several part-grown cubs. The caption read 'Look, children ! Meals on wheels !'

Apropos Canada Geese, I was out birding a long time ago, scope on tripod, when several CG approached while I was engrossed in looking at other wildfowl one the reservoir. Suddenly, I received a sharp hard blow on the leg, hard enough to leave a dent. Fortunately, it was the leg of the tripod, which I then employed to ward off the Geese, while backing towards the fence over which I had had to climb, the gates being padlocked shut.

The dent was so severe that the leg wouldn't collapse, and I had to dismantle it and sort it out later - had the blow hit me, it could easily have caused muscle damage or severed a blood vessel. Never trusted them since.
11-06-2020, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's now a video circulating Facebook of this from another angle captioned that she was eaten by the whale. Granted, the angle and creative editing makes it look that way, but where are the fact checkers now?
11-06-2020, 11:12 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
but where are the fact checkers now?
What would be the fun in that.

11-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I do wonder if some of the ignorance concerning wild animals stems from the habit of giving young children 'cuddly' toys in the form of animals - I am thinking particularly of teddy bears. Many other animals responsible for injuries to adults are also given as toys to children.

I have seen a photo of a group of people (possibly in Yellowstone) exiting their car while being approached by a family of bears - one adult, several part-grown cubs. The caption read 'Look, children ! Meals on wheels !'

Apropos Canada Geese, I was out birding a long time ago, scope on tripod, when several CG approached while I was engrossed in looking at other wildfowl one the reservoir. Suddenly, I received a sharp hard blow on the leg, hard enough to leave a dent. Fortunately, it was the leg of the tripod, which I then employed to ward off the Geese, while backing towards the fence over which I had had to climb, the gates being padlocked shut.

The dent was so severe that the leg wouldn't collapse, and I had to dismantle it and sort it out later - had the blow hit me, it could easily have caused muscle damage or severed a blood vessel. Never trusted them since.
I dunno, I have a giant teddy bear (back then, bigger than me ) and I've always been of the impression that bears are adorable fluffy creatures... from the right end of a 400mm lens. I know Bert likes getting closer to them but that ain't for me . I think the main issue is that a lot of people think that humans own the planet and that we are top of the food chain 24/7 and not only when we get clever.
11-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
<snip>

I think the main issue is that a lot of people think that humans own the planet and that we are top of the food chain 24/7 and not only when we get clever.
In truth, the human race is irrelevant to the planet - we do not form a part of any other sentient species food chain, except in accidental circumstances. If the human race was eradicated tomorrow (by who knows what means), no other major life form would suffer - indeed, in my opinion, quite the opposite.
11-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
In truth, the human race is irrelevant to the planet - we do not form a part of any other sentient species food chain, except in accidental circumstances. If the human race was eradicated tomorrow (by who knows what means), no other major life form would suffer - indeed, in my opinion, quite the opposite.
I disagree. Humans at this point qualify as an extinction event (Holocene extinction - Wikipedia). We don't need to be part of the food chain (that was a metaphor) to affect other creatures - as is the case in nature. Anyway, in case we disappeared, most domestic animals and farm crops would go through major stress events - possibly leading to another small scale extinction event.

11-06-2020, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
as usual with a thread here at the forums, this thread is wandering

but who cares
11-06-2020, 07:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I've been in the aviation business most of my working life, and work for a company who builds military aircraft. There was a time where some department wanted publicity photos of something or other, but the point was they wanted air to air video of the company product fitted out with various weapons on it. So they organised one aircraft with the photographer in the back seat, and two other aircraft fully kitted out with all the latest doodads.

I was chatting with the pilot of the aircraft carrying the photographer after the event and he told how this guy was looking through the viewfinder at the two other aircraft flying in formation. They were all flying in a straight line, wonderful blue sky etc. and the photographer kept asking the pilot to fly closer to the next aircraft, so the pilot did. "No, closer still" said the photographer, and the pilot started to wonder how close he could get as the wingtip of the next aircraft was awfully close. After the third time the photographer urged him to get closer, the pilot said "I don't think I really want to" and he saw the photographer in the rear view mirror point out the window and say "look there's loads of room.." look up from the viewfinder and look aghast as he realised he had been pointing the camera at the furthest aircraft, not the one that was almost overlapping wing tips...
11-06-2020, 07:55 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Especially Canadian Geese. I'd much rather walk into a bear than a flock of those...
Mute Swans are worse, but fewer in number...