Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Ed in GA

Anyone here into road/racing bikes?

If so, what do you ride?

And what saddle is the cure for numbness?

11-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I ride MTB, a Trek 4100 (21", model 2003) but just the frame is original. All gearing swaped to Deore 9 sp.

Saddle numbness cure: sit in the right position. If you are getting numbness, it means you are sitting too "forward" holding all your weight at crotch. You should feel your "sitting bones" well placed over rear of seat (wide part). Also, check for seat's level. It may be pointing a bit "up" which worsens the numb effect.

Robert B.
11-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Road: Orbea Orca w/DA 10 speed, Titec Ithys Patron saddle.

MTB: Trek 8500 SL with Deore/Deore XT and Titec Berserker saddle

CX: Redline another Titec saddle, just can't remember....

To clarify: the issue is the correct position of the ischial tuberosity bones sitting correctly on the saddle - they should be near the edge or along the edge of the top of the saddle. Confirm that you don't have swelling in the perineal area near those bones - that may indicate another issue.

Make sure you have the bike on a level surface, and use an actual level that rests on the length of the saddle. It should be approx. level. As Robert indicated, the tip being too high WILL cause numbness, and too low will cause shoulder/neck pain, because you're fighting the effect of sliding forward.

Do you use padded shorts of some kind?

Regards,
Marc
11-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
Ed in GA

Well, so far, I've experimented with several saddles to no avail. I've just ordered a Selle SMP Strike Pro which, hopefully, will help. The frame is a 54cm Madone 4.5 currently with a Bontrager saddle and not the one that was OEM.

I wear Padded bibs with my favorite being the Nike's (no longer made or available). Maybe with lance coming back???????

The local LBS does a fair job with fit, but I'm not sure that it's quite yet right. Since I'm pretty much a Clyde, I do have a little bit of a problem with my gut getting in the way. Which, I think, might warrant a shorter stem with a greater rise which will proably help get my sit bones in the right place on that new saddle.

I have a feeling that I'm going to go through a lot of saddles until I find the right one.

thanks for the suggestions

Ed

11-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Novara Randonee (REI touring frame) fitted with a downtube shifter, a 9-speed XT derailer and 11-34 cassette, with a 48-tooth chainring. Cheapo STI pedals. 700Cx35 knobbies when I want to go offroading, but x21 slicks for most of the time.

Coventry Eagle fixed gear. Haven't ridden it much lately--I'm just no longer in good enough shape to take it in the hilly terrain around here.

Handlebars have helped me when saddle problems arise. Varying where you put your hands--full down in the drops, against the front of the drop, on the horizontal bar, on the tops of the forward extensions, or on the top of the brake levers--changes the position of the rest of your body. I tried several saddles and every conceivable saddle adjustment, but was never comfortable until I got the handlebars right and was able to ride comfortably in different positions, changing my position frequently.

Turns out the saddle that came with the bike was the best for me.
11-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

For the road: Lemond Buenos Aires
On the trail: Specialized Stumpjumper

On the road bike, I have a Terry leather pro model with titanium rails that I bought a several years ago and never had a numbness problem or a problem with inner-thigh chafing. As for the mountain bike...never sit down that much so the stock Specialized saddle has been fine.

Steve
11-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Road: Kinesis KR-1 Race, Shimano Dura-Ace & Ultegra mix, Fulcrum wheels
MTB: GT Zaskar Pro hardtail, Shimano XT, Mavic wheels

I think the best saddle for the road (at least for me) is the Fizik Arione. I try to put in a quick 25km about 2-3 days in the week plus a long ride about every 3 weeks (60-90km) with no numbness. On my MTB I use the Fizik Plateau.

11-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
If so, what do you ride?

And what saddle is the cure for numbness?
Hi Ed,

I ride a Scapin Pro Team road bike with Campy Record groupset.

I'm no skinny little whippet and I've found the Selle Italia Trans Am or Max saddles very good. They are slightly wider than the ultimate racing models and have a cut-out up the middle. My current saddle is a Flight Titanium gel flow and it has the three triangles that indicate max or something like that.

I regularly do 80 to 100km rides and have done the 220km "Round the Bay in a Day" ride with no side effects.
11-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Here is my fleet of bikes.

Sorry for the bad/busy picture.

In order:
  1. Pedal Force Aeroblade TT bike w/Ultegra
  2. Pedal Force RS w/SRAM Red
  3. Pedal Force RS w/Dura-Ace
  4. Spicer fixed gear w/20 yo Dura-Ace
  5. Pedal Force MTB w/SRAM x.9
  6. Not shown, new Rue Sports Ying & Yang road tandem

Click the link above to see some of my bikes. The missing one is our racing tandem. Currently being painted. Not included are my wife and daughter's road bike or my daughter's fixed gear.

As far as saddles are concerned. Go to your nearest Specialized dealer and sit on their AssOMeter (not the real name). It will measure your sit bone width and recommend a saddle width for you. You don't need to buy a saddle from them either, but the Toupe (non-gel) is very comfortable. I also ride a Selle Italia Thork and SLR.

Come over and visit Bikeforums.net, but bring a thick skin, because people there will yell at you.

What really shocks me is that this is a Photography forum, yet I was the only one to actually post a picture of my bikes!
12-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have a few bikes. Raleigh Competition road bike w/reynolds 531 steel frame (lugged) and Campy parts. Schwinn Peloton road bike Reynolds 731 frame / Shimano parts & aerobars. Cannondale V900 free ride bike, dual suspension. Vision R40 recumbent. Optima Baron lowracer. The Baron positions the rider 12" off the ground. So fast.

Most comfortable seat? Not even close for me. Check out the seat on the Baron. Also note the chain travels along the front wheel! Must be careful of very short slow speed turns. Thats a cd case under the chain with about an inch to spare. WheresWaldo, nice stable of bikes.
thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by barondla; 12-07-2008 at 06:10 PM.
12-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
...What really shocks me is that this is a Photography forum, yet I was the only one to actually post a picture of my bikes!
After seeing your lineup, I feel...how can I put this delicately...slightly inadequate...

Steve

(Has firm rule...no more bikes until camera expenditures catch up with bike expenditures...camera expenditures on hold...)
12-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Have a few bikes. Raleigh Competition road bike w/reynolds 531 steel frame (lugged) and Campy parts. Schwinn Peloton road bike Reynolds 731 frame / Shimano parts & aerobars. Cannondale V900 free ride bike, dual suspension. Vision R40 recumbent. Optima Baron lowracer. The Baron positions the rider 12" off the ground. So fast.

Most comfortable seat? Not even close for me. Check out the seat on the Baron. Also note the chain travels along the front wheel! Must be careful of very short slow speed turns. Thats a cd case under the chain with about an inch to spare. WheresWaldo, nice stable of bikes.
thanks
barondla
Cool bike, Doug.
Never had this before but I've seen one or two on the street.
Thanks for posting the photo.

Too bad, I don't even have a bike right now
I love biking.
12-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Hermanlee. Get yourself a bike. You will be healthier and have fun! Look at it as a stay out of the doctors office investment. Wish I lived somewhere riding was comfortable all year long.
thanks
barondla

Check out P&S forum #13 in P&S forum.
12-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #14
Forum Member

you may want to...

...post this at Mtbr.com Forums and see what else you may discover although I agree with the folks that suggested that the proper sitting position is vital for keeping the boys happy.

Cheers,
David

Cannondale F3
12-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #15

I have tried several different seats on my Fuji Roubaix road bike and other bikes along with different seat positions and found there is no such thing as comfort, only impalement.

To relieve the pain, I now wear padded bicycle shorts with two extra pieces of sponge type padding stuffed down the front and back and a double gel cover on the Performance Bike Contour saddle. It is probably "over the top" but it has made riding somewhat less painfull.