Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is only one Magic Roundabout!!

11-25-2020, 06:52 AM - 5 Likes   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I drive a semi, so here's our steps to safely entering a roundabout:

1. Pull up to the yield sign and wait for a break in traffic.

2... I dunno, I'm still waiting.
11-25-2020, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
There is only one Magic Roundabout!!
Remember it well !!

In the days when I suffered from employment, there was instigated a 'Management of Change "Initiative".' Several people suggested a change of management might be more effective.

One of the visible signs of this was the frequent appearance on notice boards of unattributed notices which always started 'It has been brought to the attention of management that ' followed by some insignificant gripe or other, such as people purchasing more than one doughnut in the canteen - but they always ended in capitals 'THIS SITUATION WILL CEASE IMMEDIATELY'.

After a fortnight or so, another notice began to appear, simply reading :

It has been brought to the attention of management that far too many things are being brought to the attention of management.

THIS SITUATION WILL CEASE IMMEDIATELY.

Oddly enough, there were no further notices on this theme.
11-25-2020, 08:18 AM - 3 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

How about a roundabridge, in Uruguay.
Not for traffic control:
"It is designed in a circular shape to force drivers to slow down and to allow for pedestrian access along the one-way circular route"
Laguna Garzón Bridge - Wikipedia

11-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
The real difficulty in using traffic circles ("roundabout" is a Yankee term) is the subtle differences in the law going from one state to another. The one that gets most folks is the question of who's got the right of way, the person entering the circle or the person already in the circle. It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and may not be specifically stated in the local code of laws. E.g., common law jurisdictions may still include by reference the ancient Roman law of right of way, which was, "first come, first served". And even then, it could be modified by statute, given that big heavy steel boxes moving at 45mph can't stop on a dime the way an old English ox-cart can (in Virginia, an exception to the common law rule holds that where two vehicles approach the intersection at "about the same time", then the one on the right has the right of way. That exception gives the right of way to the person entering the circle, but if the person already in the circle is "approaching" a bit before the person entering, then the person already in the circle has the right of way. Vehicular right of way law is one of the least-understood and most complex of any topic outside of antitrust and patents.
In Europe and the UK right of way is indicated by road markings. In Europe approaching a roundabout you give way to the left, as traffic drives on the RHS (thanks I believe due to the French Revolution and Napoleonic Code) of the road and you go round the circle anti-clockwise and in the UK you give way to the right and go round clockwise. Learning this is what driving students do before passing their test, so it is second nature. Only a reckless fool would approach a roundabout at 45mph. Not even in France, where in my experience reckless driving is quite common, have I seen this happen!

Last edited by richard0170; 11-25-2020 at 09:05 AM.
11-25-2020, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There's one like that in (or near) Hemel Hempstead that I've had occasion to use some years back. So far as I can recall, it was quite effective, if a little unsettling for the first-time user. I remember the road sign for it looked quite unique
I lived in Hemel Hempstead during the period when that "magic roundabout" was installed, and it caused "chaos" for a few weeks afterwards - I soon got used to it, but I saw more than one driver (including a Learner) "get it wrong" or simply "freeze" after entering the 1st of the small roundabouts.

However, once you "learned the ropes", the quickest way to turn Right was to turn Right at the first small one, then go anti/counter clockwise around the big central one to the next small one (which was where I would be turning Right) because most people were "conditioned" to always go anti-clockwise at roundabouts, and thus did that at all the 5 small ones before they got to the one where they wanted to turn actually "turn Right"

Hmm, I think I described the above "incorrectly" but I hope most people will understand what I am trying to say

Last edited by jeallen01; 11-25-2020 at 09:29 AM.
11-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a busy holiday or getaway weekend, this can be the back up coming into the round about near me (locals know how to avoid it). The toll bridge on the far side of the circle and the goat trail of a road on the far side of the river helps to make this back up for about two miles!

11-25-2020, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I present the Diverging Diamond interchange. There is one near my house. Time stopped is reduced by 50% and accidents are down 90%. Once you used to them they are great. No turns across oncoming traffic.

11-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I present the Diverging Diamond interchange. There is one near my house. Time stopped is reduced by 50% and accidents are down 90%. Once you used to them they are great. No turns across oncoming traffic.

I was just about to mention these wonders of traffic engineering! The diagrams on how they work can look like a hot mess but they are effortless to use.
11-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I was just about to mention these wonders of traffic engineering! The diagrams on how they work can look like a hot mess but they are effortless to use.
They are the second time you go through.
11-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #56
Pentaxian

The more of these posts I read, the happier I am that I do not drive ! These are all problems for the bus driver, not me, and at least he knows the route, so all he has to look out for is (mainly) tourists who don't. Should you wish to familiarise yourself with the roads, lanes and byways of Norfolk (UK) before visiting (and your money is always welcome here), just read 'The Rolling English Road', by G. K. Chesterton.
11-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
They are the second time you go through.
It took you twice to get it? Lol

At my last job, it was common to hit 100+ roundabouts in a single shift. I'll take a DDI over those any day.
11-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi All,
They work well if people knew how to indicate on them. I have had a few near misses on them because of this.
We have a rule here in Queensland that if you are stationary at one and you wait for a vehicle approaching the round a bout from the right, at speed, and you wait for it you can be booked. Makes for some interesting times in a full length loaded semi trailer.
We have a lot here in Brisbane that are that small that you do not have time to indicate.
Regards,
Gordon.
11-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #59
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I have had the privilege of driving through both left-hand and right-hand roundabouts. They are pretty common in Australia and less common in Canada. Personally I like driving on the left a little better.....
He prefers driving on the left, regardless of where he is...

---------- Post added 25-11-20 at 18:44 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That's just plain daft. Traffic in the circle should always have right of way.
That reminds of the time I was touring Italy, in a rental car, and going through some piazzas. While going around the square, I saw a car about to enter it. The driver was going quite fast, with no hint that he was intending to slow down, and I never saw that he even looked my way as we were both approaching the same area. That was the first indication that Italian drivers are crazy*.

It was years later, while working in Italy, that I found out that traffic entering a piazza or roundabout has the right of way.

I had a similar experience in Paris, on more than one trip there, where I was going around this huuuuuge roundabout with about a gazillion lanes, and I had no idea how to negotiate it, because it looked like such a mess. As I was approaching it, wondering how I'm ever going to manage to enter, I was very pleased to see some cars grinding to a halt just for my benefit. Once again, as in Italy, I later found out who has the right of way.

* I worked several years in Italy, and (some of) the drivers there are crazy. Either that, or they have x-ray vision. For example, they would go on the other side of the road to overtake you, while going around a small hill, where there is no way they can see if there is any oncoming traffic.
11-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
The real difficulty in using traffic circles ("roundabout" is a Yankee term) is the subtle differences in the law going from one state to another. The one that gets most folks is the question of who's got the right of way, the person entering the circle or the person already in the circle. It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and may not be specifically stated in the local code of laws. E.g., common law jurisdictions may still include by reference the ancient Roman law of right of way, which was, "first come, first served". And even then, it could be modified by statute, given that big heavy steel boxes moving at 45mph can't stop on a dime the way an old English ox-cart can (in Virginia, an exception to the common law rule holds that where two vehicles approach the intersection at "about the same time", then the one on the right has the right of way. That exception gives the right of way to the person entering the circle, but if the person already in the circle is "approaching" a bit before the person entering, then the person already in the circle has the right of way. Vehicular right of way law is one of the least-understood and most complex of any topic outside of antitrust and patents.
The simplest rule is that vehicles entering the roundabout (New Zealand speak for traffic circles) give way to vehicles already in the roundabout. That works for roundabouts of all sizes.