Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 170 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2020, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I present the Diverging Diamond interchange. There is one near my house. Time stopped is reduced by 50% and accidents are down 90%. Once you used to them they are great. No turns across oncoming traffic.

We have (what I believe is) a simpler solution: Roundabouts as interchanges at an overpass.

(Not my image - ignore the red rectangles)

But, I presume that solution slows traffic less, so makes for faster travel.

11-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #62
Pentaxian

(And I have said this before!) the US "4-way stop" junction is a "conundrum" to most of us brought up with roundabouts - they seem more like "who dares wins" (or maybe NOT!) scenarios
11-25-2020, 01:33 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yes, we use them all over the place.

A Zimbabwean friend pointed out two other things that make roundabouts better than 'robots' (traffic lights); They don't break and they can't be stolen
Very true!
I seem to recall the same argument held true in South Africa.

I also know that 'robots' are expensive as you get a bill if you run over one. (Don't ask me how I know)
11-25-2020, 01:56 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Nowadays we have quite a few roundabouts which have part-time traffic lights on some, but not always all, entry roads to ensure the traffic flows fairly smoothly at busy times but are not then active for the rest of the day.

11-25-2020, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Very true!
I seem to recall the same argument held true in South Africa.

I also know that 'robots' are expensive as you get a bill if you run over one. (Don't ask me how I know)
Those 'robots' have been made here in Syracuse by the Crouse-Hinds Company (Today Eaton Crouse-Hinds) since the 1920s. They manufacture pedestrian signals, stadium lighting, airport lighting etc, but traffic signals is still the main business. That includes the Green-on-Top light on Tipperary Hill...

Name:  Screenshot 2020-11-25 160252.png
Views: 141
Size:  1.35 MB
11-25-2020, 02:13 PM - 3 Likes   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many roundabouts here have been eliminated in favour of traffic lights. In one case, getting rid of two on a dual carriageway here added ten minutes to a fifteen minute journey. Great decision.

People who get confused by simple roundabouts that employ common “give way” rules shouldn’t be driving.
11-25-2020, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
What a sinister mess!!!

11-25-2020, 02:35 PM - 3 Likes   #68
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
We have (what I believe is) a simpler solution: Roundabouts as interchanges at an overpass.

(Not my image - ignore the red rectangles)

But, I presume that solution slows traffic less, so makes for faster travel.
I got stuck on one of those in Oxford UK. I drove around in circles about 5 times (a few exits lead to driving off into the hinterlands to turn around and get back the the overpass). The lack of signs designating the correct street to exit on, was the main issue. It got to the point that I ended up counting exits before getting it right. Of course I was driving a Peugeot with a manual transmission - ya know coming from the US driving on the right, shifting with the left and the turn signals on the right side of the steering column. Every time I wanted to turn left, the wind screen (see what I did there) wipers would come on. The first few days were sort of frustrating.

Since that trip, we have seen more roundabouts here in the PNW and I do have to laugh at people when we encounter them. Some people do not have the foggiest idea about how to use them. Especially left turns, I have seen people "go against the stream".
11-25-2020, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
shifting with the left and the turn signals on the right side of the steering column.
Reading that made me break out in a cold sweat.
I hope the clutch was on the far left, and the go pedal on the far right.
11-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Many roundabouts here have been eliminated in favour of traffic lights. In one case, getting rid of two on a dual carriageway here added ten minutes to a fifteen minute journey. Great decision.
Sounds like someone had a budget to spend.....and a friend with whom to spend it.

---------- Post added 11-25-20 at 02:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
What a sinister mess!!!
Trust me, I lived there for 29 years. Believe it or not it does work.
11-25-2020, 03:02 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Almost all European cars have the turn signals on the left and the wipers on the right, but, weirdly, Annie's new car is the other way round. So yes, whenever I drive it I indicate with the wipers the first few times!
Pedal positions don't change - unless you're driving a Model T or a 1901 Benz. Although, having been used to driving manual, I do, occasionally plant my left foot in the corner and go to change gears - with the auto!
11-25-2020, 03:08 PM   #72
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Clutch, Break and Gas - just like the US.
Shift pattern on the 5 speed transmission was the same basic system as in the US.
  • Slide Left Push -> 1st
  • Slide Left Pull -> 2nd
  • Center Push -> 3rd
  • Center Pull -> 4th
  • Slide Right Push -> 4th
  • Slide Right Pull -> 5th
  • Slide far right pull -> reverse
The only difference is the hand you use to shift with. US we use the right hand, UK (and others) the left.
Our second trip I made sure that we had a automatic.

On our trips to NZ we rented a automatic - both times a Subaru - gutless wonders. (I drive a Subaru Manual currently, not as gutless as the one's we rented)
11-25-2020, 03:20 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Oddly enough, I've rarely had problems with changing from cars with the gear shift/stick on my Left (as in the UK) to those with the stick on my Right (as in the US and most other European countries, etc.) - I just get in the drivers' seats and "which hand to use" for the stick "just comes naturally"
11-25-2020, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Sounds like someone had a budget to spend.....and a friend with whom to spend it.
The explanation from the traffic engineers was that “bunching” vehicles at traffic lights improved the average journey times. All that does, in my observation, is introduce further delays in staggered restarts, especially now, when people check their mobile phones at the lights. Sounding your horn to wake them up is now viewed as aggressive driving behaviour (really? Killing or maiming takes more time than a polite toot).
11-25-2020, 04:12 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Those 'robots' have been made here in Syracuse by the Crouse-Hinds Company (Today Eaton Crouse-Hinds) since the 1920s. They manufacture pedestrian signals, stadium lighting, airport lighting etc, but traffic signals is still the main business. That includes the Green-on-Top light on Tipperary Hill...

Attachment 516113
Why is it upside down?