Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 170 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2020, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never understood why so many drivers in the UK have problems with roundabouts - especially indicating when appropriate, and right of way. They're such a common feature of our roads here.

I'm not sure how easily I'd adapt to using them in a country that drives on the right, though. I must have done it before... in France, Belgium, Holland; perhaps Germany too... but I don't remember doing so. The last time I drove abroad was in New England, and I don't recall encountering them over there. I do recall being somewhat surprised by the "turn on red" practice... We don't have that in the UK

11-25-2020, 02:59 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It often surprises me how many people struggle with this.

If you drive on the right hand side of the road, view this video:

How to use a roundabout - YouTube

If you drive on the left side of the road, view this video:

Road rules: roundabouts - YouTube

It appears many people struggle with knowing when to indicate left and right.
Well, you should come to Spain and see how they navigate roundabouts! It's crazy! On entering a 2 lane roundabout, they are instructed (at driving school) to follow the outside lane. If they're going straight on that's not too much of a problem. However, if they are intending to turn left or do a complete U-turn, they still follow the outside lane and therefore cut across you if you are in the inside lane (perhaps going straight on!!). This is normally done with no courtesy whatsoever and usually without any indication. It's absolute madness, and very dangerous! Every time I enter one in Spain I really don't know where they might go. Talking about this one day in a Bar to Spanish taxi driver, I asked him why if you are instructed to use the outside land on a roundabout, is the inner lane for? He answered quite seriously, "Oh, that's for overtaking!"
11-25-2020, 03:05 AM - 3 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I do recall being somewhat surprised by the "turn on red" practice... We don't have that in the UK
In many states "turn on red" is the law... In New Jersey "accelerate on red while waving your middle finger out the window" is the practice...

I previously worked for The BOC Group here in NJ with many UK expatriate colleagues... they adapted quite well after a while...
11-25-2020, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh! You poor colonials. I lived in Swindon, Wiltshire, UK for 29 years. We were blessed with the "Magic Roundabout". A central island with a 5 mini roundabouts clustered around it. We also had Transfer Bridges - 4 small roundabouts surrounding a larger one with lights too! Actually if one spends some time with these traffic systems they make sense as traffic can divert to either the left or the right thereby decreasing congestion. The trouble is many people do not have experience and freeze, thinking WTF and where the hell am I supposed to go? The whole experience for a novice is quite unnerving.

Generally roundabouts are very common in the UK and we are used to dealing with them. For most circumstances they are better than lights as traffic is not restricted in any direction when flow is light to moderate and they discourage speeding at junctions and jumping lights and are therefore safer. However in heavy traffic they are more problematic as you can be stuck waiting to get into the flow for quite some time if entering from a minor road. Hence we now see lights on them at major junctions in the UK - the best (or worst) of both worlds!

What an odd topic to be discussing on a photography forum! As I am under house arrest and the weather is miserable an enjoyable diversion none the less.

11-25-2020, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote

What an odd topic to be discussing on a photography forum! As I am under house arrest and the weather is miserable an enjoyable diversion none the less.
As this is in the "General Talk" section, it's not nearly as odd as you may think!
11-25-2020, 04:49 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very entertaining but where is the pentax?
11-25-2020, 04:57 AM   #37
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I lived in Swindon, Wiltshire, UK for 29 years. We were blessed with the "Magic Roundabout". A central island with a 5 mini roundabouts clustered around it.
There's one like that in (or near) Hemel Hempstead that I've had occasion to use some years back. So far as I can recall, it was quite effective, if a little unsettling for the first-time user. I remember the road sign for it looked quite unique

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-25-2020 at 05:33 AM.
11-25-2020, 05:00 AM - 3 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As this is in the "General Talk" section, it's not nearly as odd as you may think!
...and here am I thinking I was in the why I wouldn’t buy a K3 thread.
( it is late at night, and I confused myself - and was surprised to find myself on page 3 instead of about, what?, 333.)
11-25-2020, 05:04 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, yes, Swindon. I was just thinking about the masterpiece of a roundabout that I saw pictured once. And Swindon seems to ring a bell. Perhaps Richard could post a pic for us? Please.
11-25-2020, 05:41 AM - 6 Likes   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

11-25-2020, 05:59 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Oh, yes, Swindon. I was just thinking about the masterpiece of a roundabout that I saw pictured once. And Swindon seems to ring a bell. Perhaps Richard could post a pic for us? Please.
I do not have any pictures as I found it somewhat less than photogenic! A quick Google search for Swindon Magic Roundabout will provide plenty. Indeed when I tried this myself I only needed to type in "Swindon M" before the algorithms produced some. Its quite famous/notorious here in the UK.
11-25-2020, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #42
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
It varies depending on circle as to who has the right of way. Some the entering traffic has the right of way, some the traffic in the circle, and some, it depends which entrance/exit as to who has the right of way.

That's... What... Who's the brilliant mind behind that?!
11-25-2020, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't imagine why. They are really the best way of getting cars through an intersection without causing traffic jams.
Yes, we use them all over the place.

A Zimbabwean friend pointed out two other things that make roundabouts better than 'robots' (traffic lights); They don't break and they can't be stolen
11-25-2020, 06:19 AM   #44
dlhawes

The real difficulty in using traffic circles ("roundabout" is a Yankee term) is the subtle differences in the law going from one state to another. The one that gets most folks is the question of who's got the right of way, the person entering the circle or the person already in the circle. It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and may not be specifically stated in the local code of laws. E.g., common law jurisdictions may still include by reference the ancient Roman law of right of way, which was, "first come, first served". And even then, it could be modified by statute, given that big heavy steel boxes moving at 45mph can't stop on a dime the way an old English ox-cart can (in Virginia, an exception to the common law rule holds that where two vehicles approach the intersection at "about the same time", then the one on the right has the right of way. That exception gives the right of way to the person entering the circle, but if the person already in the circle is "approaching" a bit before the person entering, then the person already in the circle has the right of way. Vehicular right of way law is one of the least-understood and most complex of any topic outside of antitrust and patents.
11-25-2020, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #45
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

We were blessed with the "Magic Roundabout".
Lucky you!