Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2020, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Re: Swindon's Magic Roundabout

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
What a sinister mess!!!
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Trust me, I lived there for 29 years. Believe it or not it does work.
It might well work for someone who lives there and is used to it, but I have encountered it only twice and it was a nightmare. The natives are not tolerant of anyone who has not familiarised themselves with it.

11-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They have become the new "big thing" here in upstate NY. Maybe downstate, too but I don't go there often. It is supposed to cut down on pollution and traffic jams at intersections. Some of the circles have made good sense where they are located, others, well I'm skeptical. One of note is the exit 12 area of I87 north of Albany. To get on or off the interstate or head east or west on Rt 67 as well as enter/exit an office complex and shopping center, there are 3 linked traffic circles. For people who drive it everyday, it's a pain in the ***. For the unlucky out of towner, who got off looking for gas or a meal, it's a drivers nightmare as you can drive through the crazy figure 8's a few times if you aren't in the right lane. And just when you think you're finally safe and made it to the Rt. 9 business district 1/4 mile away, you come to another one.
11-26-2020, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #93
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Traffic circles are marvelous for keeping traffic flowing once people get used to them.
As they are fairly uncommon here it's a demolition derby in the making.
11-26-2020, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Re: Swindon's Magic Roundabout

It might well work for someone who lives there and is used to it, but I have encountered it only twice and it was a nightmare. The natives are not tolerant of anyone who has not familiarised themselves with it.
I can accept it is quite alarming to those not used to it. I am afraid you have been sacrificed to the god of increased traffic flow. I can only apologize for those rude and intolerant natives on their behalf.

11-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Traffic circles are marvelous for keeping traffic flowing once people get used to them.
As they are fairly uncommon here it's a demolition derby in the making.
That depends. A set was put in I use to use a lot and yes it did improve flow. At another set, there was no real difference in flow because it was usually a quiet stretch anyway. Usually.

It was adjacent to a business complex, which of course all end the day at the same time. So every afternoon, it felt like anyone else coming up to it had to wait until the complex was emptied before anyone else could go. It was a constant stream of cars. I timed it one day and had to sit over 10 minutes before I had a hole big enough that I could safely enter.
11-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I can accept it is quite alarming to those not used to it. I am afraid you have been sacrificed to the god of increased traffic flow. I can only apologize for those rude and intolerant natives on their behalf.
I either read or watched an interview about that one and the guy said it was so safe because no one knew how to use it and just crawled through trying to figure it out. Not many accidents are going to happen if just idling along. Lol
11-26-2020, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That was the original idea, but they have since (in the UK at least) been seized upon for "traffic calming" (even if they are more likely to infuriate). Particularly "Mini-roundabouts" (just white circles a few yards in diameter painted in the middle of the road, in case some outside the UK have neve seen any) which can be painted anywhere as they need no extra space.

There is a stretch of suburban road near me where a mini-roundabout has been painted at every side road, lane and alleyway along it - ie every 100 yards or so. That means wherever there is a side road/alley on the right (this being the UK you need to give way to any traffic coming from it) you have to slow down to about 10 mph in case there is something coming from it. So what was a smooth 30mph stretch becomes a series of slowing down and speeding up again. Not good for progress, pollution, or blood pressure. BTW, the road is not particualrly busy and there was never a previous problem emerging from those side lanes. It is called "calming".

11-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I either read or watched an interview about that one and the guy said it was so safe because no one knew how to use it and just crawled through trying to figure it out. Not many accidents are going to happen if just idling along. Lol
Try telling that to the logging truck drivers here by us!
11-26-2020, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If you drive on the left side of the road
Aaahhhhh, get off the road you madman!

I remember my fist trip to England when departing from the airport, and as the cabbie was merging into traffic, the direction of travel so strange to at that moment that I almost wanted to cry out, "Stop!"

I quickly became accustomed to it, but I never had reason to drive in the UK so I never have operated a vehicle there. I do like manual transmissions, left-hand drive would be an interesting experience.
11-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It often surprises me how many people struggle with this.

If you drive on the right hand side of the road, view this video:

How to use a roundabout - YouTube

If you drive on the left side of the road, view this video:

Road rules: roundabouts - YouTube

It appears many people struggle with knowing when to indicate left and right.
Where I'm from roundabouts are super common and I learned to drive on them. I'm a true believer and I hate normal crossings now . Seriously, roundabouts are magical in cities, they are great at distributing traffic.
11-26-2020, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #101
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote

I remember my fist trip to England when departing from the airport, and as the cabbie was merging into traffic, the direction of travel so strange to at that moment that I almost wanted to cry out, "Stop!"

I quickly became accustomed to it, but I never had reason to drive in the UK so I never have operated a vehicle there. I do like manual transmissions, left-hand drive would be an interesting experience.
Sounds a bit like my first driving experience in Manhattan.
11-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My driving experience in Manhattan involved getting the MTA card and installing Uber . No way I was going to do that to myself being there for a couple weeks .
11-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
My driving experience in Manhattan involved getting the MTA card and installing Uber . No way I was going to do that to myself being there for a couple weeks .
Nah, it was all good. Leaving the city by car is another matter altogether.
11-26-2020, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have driven more than once in Manhattan, did not enjoy the experiences. Generally, if I am travelling for work or pleasure solely within a city, I avoid getting a vehicle entirely. Not because of the traffic, but because there are usually better ways to get around the city, each of which allows me more time to photograph the city and its inhabitants

Last edited by robgski; 11-26-2020 at 03:39 PM.
11-26-2020, 05:06 PM - 2 Likes   #105
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote

It takes a few miles to get things to work. However, be careful of your passengers reaction as they try to climb into your lap. My significant other thought I was too close to the hedges and such while I was very aware of the 4-6 inches between the mirrors on "my" side. The single lane roads in Scotland were a bit "interesting" as were the single lane kilometer one way bridges in NZ (South Island going towards Arthurs Pass) Beautiful countries almost 180 degrees from each other on the globe.

My last trip to England, all travel between cities was by train. Otherwise it was walking or take a taxi. No more driving for me.