Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The "Too Many Clubs" club

I know..I'm a grumpy old man. But isn't the fact that we own a pentax camera and post on this site "club" enough for everyone? Do we need bloated threads that further divide our already segregated populous?

11-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

blame pentax's multi lens support
11-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

why not? if you're looking for lenses of that type, what better place to start than to look at those samples
11-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
why not? if you're looking for lenses of that type, what better place to start than to look at those samples

I agree, I think they are a good thing. there is no 'disrespect' of other lenses, so I see no harm.

11-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The clubs are not exclusive and are intended as a place where enthusiasts/owners for a particular type of lens can comment and provide image examples. Seems pretty harmless to me and very useful to anyone doing research prior to purchase. It is all done in good humor and for fun. You might notice that almost all the "clubs" involve lenses that are not particularly expensive and/or are cult classics.

The only negative that I have been able to detect is a tendency for "club" lenses to take a steep increase in auction prices after a flurry of posts. A prime example would be the various Sears lenses.

Steve

(Founder of the "Off-brand Club" and proud supporter of the "Dirt Cheap Club"...)
11-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Damn Brit

If it wasn't for these bloated threads Grumpy I and many others I'm sure might never have stumbled on their favourite lenses.
11-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd rather see a dyxum style section devoted to lens samples than the club topics as they exist now...something that is more organized, and easier to find images by those gems. IMHO the clubs are an artifact of some missing forum infrastructure.

11-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
I'd rather see a dyxum style section devoted to lens samples than the club topics as they exist now...something that is more organized, and easier to find images by those gems. IMHO the clubs are an artifact of some missing forum infrastructure.
So, this grump thread should really be a "site suggestion" thread in that forum, is what I hear ya saying.

Jim (me, I kinda like the clubs - and it's really easy to skip over stuff I don't find appealing)
11-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Maybe it's just me, but isn't that the way it is now? If I want to check on a Tak, I go to the Tak thread. Same with the Tamron.
11-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The clubs allow interaction within the forum community that wouldn't exist quite to the same degree without them, I think. Its just really fun to see what others are doing with their lenses, and to post what you shot today. "post your photos" is a good place for that also, but I like having the option to do it in a lens-specific thread - the gear, especially inexpensive, under-appreciated gear, is a fun part of the hobby.

11-12-2008, 10:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Its a great way to look at photos from certain combination of lenses and cameras.
11-13-2008, 03:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I like them and feel more comfortable and less obtrusive posting Takumar images to the Takumar Club thread than I do posting them in the regular photo posting subforum. Very few of my photos are worth starting a whole new thread in that section, but I know they'll find an interested and receptive audience among current Takumar users and those contemplating acquiring them. They serve a purpose of providing illustrative examples of the lenses' capabilities and not just a "hey, look what I took".
11-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
Inactive Account

How can you say we have too many thread?!

We haven't even got a thread dedicated to lenses made by Grong-Grong Bottlemaking and Optics Limited!
11-13-2008, 09:15 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

one of the problems I have noticed and also complained about occasionally on the forum, is that although we have all sorts of clubs, and I admit the sin of joining one of them (the takumar club), I am hard pressed to see that many reviews of the lenses by people in the "clubs" posted in the lens review database.

It would be useful, not only seeing the photos people have taken while professing thier love for a specific lens, but to have real solid feedback on the performance of the lens, how it meters on their camera, any funny things notices, the "feel and feedback on the focusing collar, zoom creep, specific softness at big apatures, etc.

I agree it is difficult to wade through all the posts in the various clubs with the hopful idea that you will strike gold and see a comment about the lens you are interested in
11-13-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I know..I'm a grumpy old man. But isn't the fact that we own a pentax camera and post on this site "club" enough for everyone? Do we need bloated threads that further divide our already segregated populous?

It's true they get rather long, these club threads, and I can see that for an 'outsider' they lose their appeal, having to slog through pages and pages... and that forum search isn't all it could be either.

But for the enthusiasts in any club it's a neat way to stay in touch, see what everyone's doing with their lenses... I'm with everyone above's reasons for posting in the clubs.

I started a couple of the club threads, for the very purpose of having a little nook for particular enthusiasms. I don't think the clubs stop the questions / samples of specific lenses in other threads... and the forum search I find is cumbersome to find a particular item, often.

Did I mention I don't like the forum search?

Actually, I'd thought of starting a "not in any club" club