Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 319 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2020, 02:12 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

What photographic opportunities do you have access to.....because of where you live ?

I'm fortunate where I live, in Western Canada, on the prairies.

I'm at the northern edge of the Great Plains of North America, but also only 90 miles from the western boundary of the Canadian Shield and about 125 miles south of the Boreal Forest. The wild animals and birds that I have seen, but unfortunately not photographed as much as I would like to have, over the years have been incredible.

I'm also live about 1.5 kilometers from a riverine , old growth forest preserve that has by conservator's count....some 66 species, including reptiles, birds, amphibians, mammals, fish snd the of course all the flora.

Some photographers live in great cities, with many architectural wonders available to photograph...and of course a wealth of street photography to pursue.

Others live by jungles, forests, plains , lake, river, ocean, sea...etc.

What do you find photographically appealing and readily accessible about where you live ? What stands out in your mind ....and why ?

12-02-2020, 04:08 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live about 3 miles, as the crow flies, from the border of the Great Smoky Mtns National Park . I love to photograph birds I see, bears, and deer too. We have some nice waterfalls and pretty good views including fall foliage. Though I have seen several bobcats, I have yet to photograph these elusive creatures. I enjoy extended backpacking trips of 3 to 6 days which offer up loads of photo opportunities. Wildflowers in spring are another favorite subject especially since they don't run away!! In fact, our rainy, humid weather was a major factor for choosing Pentax with their WR gear, and that same wetness is what gives us all our lush greenery and qualifies some areas as temperate rain forests complete with super thick, spongy deep moss on the forest floor and on the trees! I love it!!!

Last edited by que es tu; 12-02-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: correct misspellings
12-02-2020, 04:47 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A lot of people think of Hong Kong as urban, concrete jungle. In actuality something more than 30% if its land area is green space. Hiking opportunities abound and trails are beautiful. Lightly inhabited islands with beautiful bays and beaches are a short ferry ride away. The variety of butterflies and moths here is stunning. There is a lot of history and culture, so lion dances, fire dragon displays, WWII-era defensive tunnels, Hakka villages and "bun festivals" are all on offer throughout the year. Buildings on both sides of Victoria Harbor are decorated with Christmas lights every year and the historic and photogenic Star Ferries cost less than 50 U.S. cents to cross the harbor. Vibrant downtown areas present unlimited street photography options. And in normal times places like Cambodia, Thailand, Japan, The Philippines, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam etc. are all a short flight away.

My time in HK will be coming to an end next summer and I'll be heart-broken...
12-02-2020, 05:24 PM - 9 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

I live in Suffolk,one of the most rural counties in England.A mixture of coastal and country landscape good for wildlife and cloudscapes.

Edit.We’re doing pics then?

...and not forgetting the historic churches

Last edited by timb64; 12-03-2020 at 09:43 AM.
12-02-2020, 06:57 PM - 4 Likes   #5
PDL
Pentaxian

PNW (Pacific North West) USA.

Beaches, Rain forests, three national parks within 3-4 hours drive (Rainier, Olympic and North Cascades), Mountains (see previous listing of NP's), deserts, urban and rural areas. Oh and rain - lots of rain - (he says hoping not to get people to move out here. )
12-02-2020, 07:28 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in Baltimore, MD which offers a wide variety of photographic opportunities. We've got city scenes--including a working port--of course but nature isn't far. In fact, I do a lot of nature shooting from my back porch since we're adjacent to one of the largest urban wilderness parks in the US. Farther afield, there's the Chesapeake Bay to the east and hilly and historic farm country to the west so nice landscape and nature opportunities (also good fishing in both directions, btw). An additional feature is proximity to Washington, DC. I don't go down there much--just not into monumental stuff--but I am fairly political so have made the run on occasion for demonstrations and other events.

Yeah, ok, I get it: this really should be a place to post some illustrative photos. Stay tuned...

Last edited by dadipentak; 12-03-2020 at 09:46 AM.
12-02-2020, 08:22 PM - 11 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Is there anyone who doesn't know where I live?

Near Algonquin Park, Ontario , Canada

843 images to date.

Where's everyone's pictures?

12-02-2020, 09:05 PM - 13 Likes   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I live in the middle of a hay meadow; the acres and acres around us haven't been tilled or planted in the last 50 years or longer.... but it is mowed and baled every year...

The farmhouse we live in was built in 1925; the original structure is a Sears & Roebuck house from their catalog...

We get the four seasons here, but with a flat-lander's perspective...

Huge skies, perfect for sunrises and sunsets:

we get some wildlife:

mainly, squirrels & rabbits, though

owls

hawks

and even the occasional eagle

it's our slice of heaven and we love living here.....
12-02-2020, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

843 images to date.

Nice examples, Norm.
12-02-2020, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm in Ontario and I find there are lots of migratory warblers passing through here. That is certainly really nice for photography when I can actually lock onto them.
12-02-2020, 11:00 PM - 9 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I live by some great rocky mountain and high desert scenery. There is a National Park down the road and I can ride two different mountain bike trail systems (with great photo ops) from my house.
I feel very fortunate to live here.

Here's the airport.
12-02-2020, 11:36 PM - 4 Likes   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm fortunate where I live, in Western Canada, on the prairies.

I'm at the northern edge of the Great Plains of North America, but also only 90 miles from the western boundary of the Canadian Shield and about 125 miles south of the Boreal Forest. The wild animals and birds that I have seen, but unfortunately not photographed as much as I would like to have, over the years have been incredible.

I'm also live about 1.5 kilometers from a riverine , old growth forest preserve that has by conservator's count....some 66 species, including reptiles, birds, amphibians, mammals, fish snd the of course all the flora.

Some photographers live in great cities, with many architectural wonders available to photograph...and of course a wealth of street photography to pursue.

Others live by jungles, forests, plains , lake, river, ocean, sea...etc.

What do you find photographically appealing and readily accessible about where you live ? What stands out in your mind ....and why ?
My European home town used to be centered around the river, where sea transport, shipbuilding, government, university, and trade were the more important parts, while now shipbuilding is just an academic subject, and all things Volvo has taken over (bank, IT center, global headquarters, and car and truck manufacture, a big port for the transport of those vehicles, and so on).

For a photographer, the entertainment business used to be great, while the big parks, arboretum, and botanical garden also was a great attraction (for the botanically interested world class, as some species are only found here, outside China). The big archipelago just a short trip away is another source of photographic opportunities, with its connection to the fishing and naval marine history (not much left of either, although hundreds are still employed in such activities.

Said to be a friendly city, and in many ways, it is, where people have intermixed since humans arrived to occupy the big river and its banks. Traders came from the inland with furs and ship-building materials, and the fishermen came with their specialties and the government taxed this trade, and controlled its inhabitants, and kept the foe away (who could pass the city unhindered if they followed one road, and one road only, to get from their possessions south and north of my city.

The British arrived in force about 250 years ago and introduced modern shipbuilding, trams (originally horse-drawn), and trade with the British empire, all the way to Hong Kong flourished. And the fishermen traveled from my town to Aberdeen each week, fishing on the way there and back again, and almost all fishing vessels were built in the UK. Till modern times three ferry lines plied back and forth between my town and the UK, some of them even sailing up the Thames into London itself. Now they are all gone.

Since fairly recently the town is full of new immigrants, where speaking Arabic is helpful, but also Mandarin, as much of Volvo now is owned by the Chinese, and the drug barons rule the suburbs here, as in many other parts of my country.

The buildings of interest are mostly from the 18th century, where much of the older city was replaced, and then the city expanded and low-cost housing popped up all over the city perimeter, and when I was young those buildings were torn down and replaced by new housing made of brick and concrete, replacing the old brick-and-wood houses, unique to our city.

Lately, it has become a tourist's mecca, not least visited by Europeans and Americans, and the Chinese. Volvo has attracted thousands of Chinese, and many rich Chinese visit our famous camera factory, which started as an importer of Kodak cameras, approximately a hundred years ago, Mr. Eastman and the company owner being good friends.

The city's very old military bastions still stand, with their cannons aimed just as much at the citizens of my city as at the now distant foe, after half of that empire became independent, and other parts were taken by the foe's southern neighbor, ages ago, and even longer ago my country took all the foe's possessions on this side of the sound.

But you are now hard-pressed to find any military in town; the air force left over 50 years ago, the naval units are still here, but hard to find. The City Airport (the former AFB) is closed down, only allowing helicopters and training aircraft to use the runways.

The capital is much more influenced by the French than we are on the West Coast, so much so that the court spoke French long before we got a Frenchman as our king! In medieval times Germans ruled the seas around here (and the capital), so that was a language often used, and had a great influence on our language even today, while now English is the lingua franca! In Viking times, when most of the trade was turned to the East you probably would hear Finnish, Estonian, Russian, and Turkish spoken in the capital, as you indeed can today!

Our technical university is called Chalmers after its founder, a Scottish immigrant, a trader, while the central hospital Sahlgrenska is named after a Swedish merchantman (who got rich by trading with China, doing a little slave trade as well on the way out), who helped to finance the original hospital. The major shipyard was founded by Keillor, another Scotsman, and so on.

So British names still abound (like Hamilton and Montgomery), and an entire suburb was once exclusively British and connected with the city center via the town's only tram line, which was run by the Gothenburg Tramway Company (that was its name, although nowadays it has a Swedish name, and is no longer a private company (but might well return to private ownership soon, not least to Covid making it cheap to buy).

Being isolated, more or less, at home (I belong to those that would I catch the Covid I has a small chance in surviving, due to age and ailments, like allergy and heart problems), I mainly shoot birds on the balcony, as the risk of catching the Covid is very real here, and the Botanical Garden is not that much fun this time of the year, the downtown restaurants and shops mostly empty of folks, and the coastline windy and cold (the weather is not that unlike Seattle's).

In short, Gothenburg (Göteborg) is a great city, with an easily accessible archipelago, friendly people, and a lot of rain and wind! And, aye, most of the women are blondes, although the immigrants are mostly black-haired. A curious fact is that in Viking times most Swedes were black-haired, while people in northern Italy mostly were blondes in those days. One theory is that the blond 'blood' came from Russia, but I have not seen anything substantiating that idea!

Over and out,

Tord, nowadays mostly a Nikon user, but I still got my K-x!

---------- Post added 12-03-20 at 07:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

843 images to date.

Been over 50 years since I visited Algonquin!

I was there in '67, the Bicentennial Year!

Tord
12-02-2020, 11:46 PM - 8 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I live in the high desert in NW Arizona. Besides the desert itself there are several mountain ranges and the Colorado river within a 30 mile radius. Lots of petroglyph sites, old gold and silver mines and ghost towns in the area too.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Moto G Play  Photo 
12-03-2020, 12:25 AM - 9 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Adelaide Hills may not have the drama of the Rocky Mountains, but they are not without their charms either.

12-03-2020, 03:51 AM - 9 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I live in Central Virginia, on the eastern edge of the Shenandoah Valley and the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Just up the road there is a park with I often visit to find a suitable subject for the Single In Challenge.

Or just walk around town looking at historic homes

IF I get tired of this, I go up the way to the next town.

My region has breathtaking scenery and a fairly laid back way of life. I like to think of it as the Shire, quite the opposite of the land that lies 2.5 hours north by car, the land surrounding Washington D.C., or as I refer to it, Mordor.

I've started a PF group for Pentaxians living in the prettier and less populous areas of Virginia. I've lived here for 13 years now, after travelling and working in many other places, and I have not tired of this lovely place.