Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 319 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2020, 04:56 AM - 6 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About 18 years ago we moved from South Africa, where we'd lived for 5 years, and is one massive photo opportunity, to Dorset in the UK - it took a bit of getting used to after SA, but it has a great coastline and rural interior. For the last 10 years we lived on the edge of Poole Harbour.

About a month ago, we moved to South Wales (UK) We are close to the Gower peninsular and with the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park to the north and Brecon Beacons to the east - and 3-4 hours south of Snowdonia. I'm really looking forward to exploring!

Anybody would think that we let photography influence our choice of place to live!

12-03-2020, 07:17 AM - 16 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ottawa and region

Ottawa is a modern capital city of 1 million people. Of course, we have the Houses of Parliament, government buildings, more government buildings, museums and monuments, business districts, and so on, so there are plenty of typical photo subjects within our core.

Annual Tulip Festival

Street buskers

But living in Ottawa means there is a lot more to see.

Glorious foliage colours in the fall, with our abundance of maple trees

Rivers and streams

Animals within our many Greenbelt parks and trails.

Fantastic winter scenes

And plenty of hidden landscapes

Within a 2-hour drive, there are many sights.

The Gatineau hills, looking towards the Ottawa River valley:

Interesting small towns and villages (Here is Almonte, only 25 minutes from my house. By the way, that's our Mississippi River)

The great city of Montreal is only 2 hours away

12-03-2020, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I live in Suffolk,one of the most rural counties in England.A mixture of coastal and country landscape good for wildlife and cloudscapes.

Edit.We’re doing pics then?

...and not forgetting the historic churches
One of the joys of forum life... seeing images from where other people live.
12-03-2020, 08:27 AM - 16 Likes   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What photographic opportunities do you have access to.....because of where you live ?
Everything the Highlands of Scotland has to offer.

12-03-2020, 08:40 AM - 11 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Living rurally in the Canadian Rockies gives plenty of opportunities from the porch, quite literally:

Going off on a wee adventure away from the house gets even more variety of shots:

12-03-2020, 01:07 PM - 15 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lancaster got its name from the Romans, Luncastrum, castle on the Line. In 80AD they built a fort close to the ford in the river. From there roads went north, south and east. The current castle has been built up in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries but the oldest parts, the Keep and John O Gaunts gate were built in the 12th century

The town built up around the castle and courts were held there. It became more of a prison than a castle. The Pendle Witches (our version of Salem) were tried and executed here. In 1745 Bonny Prince Charlie stayed nearby on his way to Derby and on his return to Culloden. In the 18th & 19th century, convicts were detained here prior to transportation to Australia. We even had a child catcher! Lovely place

The Quaker movement was deeply embedded in Lancaster and abolitionists lived shoulder to shoulder with people who made vast sums from the slave trade.

Sculptures of reformers. The workshop is in the walls of the castle

Lancaster was one of the UK's busier ports, benefitting from imports of cotton and mahogany.

The industrial revolution brought the canals and railways, both of which still run through the city

There are still plenty of old parts but, being a small city, we are never far from the countryside or the sea

12-03-2020, 01:30 PM - 12 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am greatly enjoying all the photos and descriptions everyone is posting.

I'm in northwest NJ and due to various commitments and responsibilities rarely travel more than 15 miles from home. Stil, there are some opportunities...

12-03-2020, 01:36 PM - 4 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I am greatly enjoying all the photos and descriptions everyone is posting.

I'm in northwest NJ and due to various commitments and responsibilities rarely travel more than 15 miles from home. Stil, there are some opportunities...

These images are stunning. I am a bit concerned however at the number of pentaxians at risk of being attacked by bears! The worst we get here are squirrels with attitude
12-03-2020, 03:31 PM - 6 Likes   #24
PDL
Pentaxian

On my wildlife camera in the back yard I have videos of:
Bear
Deer
Coyote
Bob Cat
Possum
Rabbits
Squirrels
and scariest of all - humans.
12-03-2020, 03:40 PM - 3 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
These images are stunning. I am a bit concerned however at the number of pentaxians at risk of being attacked by bears! The worst we get here are squirrels with attitude
Thanks! I'm fortunate enough to have a couple of lakes, ponds, and a few rivers/streams to visit; a fair number of critters and feathered friends to hang out with; and over a dozen species of butterflies to celebrate. Maybe nothing truly spectacular, but pretty nice.

Black bears are usually passive and avoid trouble - a couple times I was working in the yard and turned around to find a bear mildly watching me, no more than 50 feet away - although large ones may be aggressive toward humans late in the year as the search for food grows more urgent with winter approaching. A few years ago a young man was et by a bear about 30 miles from me. Folks out west get the larger and more dangerous brown/grizzly bears.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
12-03-2020, 06:14 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One of the joys of forum life... seeing images from where other people live.
I was going to express the same sentiment.
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
The Quaker movement was deeply embedded in Lancaster and abolitionists lived shoulder to shoulder with people who made vast sums from the slave trade.
Very interesting, I had no idea Lancaster had so much history, and dating back to the Romans.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Everything the Highlands of Scotland has to offer.
Everyone of those images make me want to return immediately, I've only been to Edinburgh and Biggar. So much more to see.
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm in northwest NJ
I grew up in Ringwood, western Passaic County, the NJ Botanical Gardens at Skylands were literally my playground. In no-Covid times I'd make a trip to NJ from the Cape May ferry slip to monument at High Point with a few scenic stops in between. The best parts of the state are furthest away from the NJ turnpike . Great photos
12-03-2020, 07:01 PM - 7 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What do you find photographically appealing and readily accessible about where you live ?
I'll go with a very strict interpretation of "where you live", which is within walking distance This summer I've taken photos primarily while walking in my neighborhood, same streets every day. So I slowly started taking more abstract photos. This was a bit of a departure for me, although I was used to taking street shots along my commute into Boston.

These two are less than a block away, ignored for years

And two examples from walking maybe 15 minutes

Last edited by aaacb; 12-03-2020 at 07:16 PM.
12-03-2020, 08:39 PM - 9 Likes   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I live just north of Portland, Oregon, USA and am blessed with a wealth of photographic potential, both local and regional. I started to make a list, but stopped because it would be too long. It is enough to say that I have the ocean, multiple rivers, several large wildlife refuges, a major city, farms, mountains, big mountains, an active volcano, high desert, water falls, and amazing forests.

Steve
12-03-2020, 08:44 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I live just north of Portland, Oregon, USA and am blessed with a wealth of photographic potential, both local and regional. I started to make a list, but stopped because it would be too long. It is enough to say that I have the ocean, multiple rivers, several large wildlife refuges, a major city, farms, mountains, big mountains, an active volcano, high desert, water falls, and amazing forests.
You photograph it all so well.
12-03-2020, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Folks are killing it with the quality of photos in this thread. Inspiring!