Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2020, 06:53 AM - 5 Likes   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have a lot of noteworthy places around, but my favorite spot is a small area near Green Bay, WI with a deep ravine, waterfall (depending on rain/season), and large culvert. It's heavily wooded overhead, so it's s almost total darkness and great for my light painting. The culvert especially makes for a well protected area to do steel wool work, which is where I got one of my favorite photos.

Last edited by Mooncatt; 12-07-2020 at 06:59 AM.
12-07-2020, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm fortunate where I live, in Western Canada, on the prairies.

I'm at the northern edge of the Great Plains of North America, but also only 90 miles from the western boundary of the Canadian Shield and about 125 miles south of the Boreal Forest. The wild animals and birds that I have seen, but unfortunately not photographed as much as I would like to have, over the years have been incredible.

I'm also live about 1.5 kilometers from a riverine , old growth forest preserve that has by conservator's count....some 66 species, including reptiles, birds, amphibians, mammals, fish snd the of course all the flora.

Some photographers live in great cities, with many architectural wonders available to photograph...and of course a wealth of street photography to pursue.

Others live by jungles, forests, plains , lake, river, ocean, sea...etc.

What do you find photographically appealing and readily accessible about where you live ? What stands out in your mind ....and why ?
I live in Western New York and I am 30 minutes away from the best hidden state park in the state, Letchworth State Park. I am also 45 minute to 1.5 hours away from the wonders of the Finger Lakes region. Also the great lakes of Erie and Ontario are a short 30-45 minutes away. And lastly of course Niagara Falls and the region around the falls is a short 45 minute trip. Western New York is a treasure trove for landscape photographers and others also.
12-07-2020, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
it's a good thing you stayed to show how wrong they were....
Aaawww, you are too kind.
12-07-2020, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I took an early retirement 10 years ago to a sleepy'ish place an hour from Sandy..... Goolwa (South Australia).... river meets ocean.... not a bad place to do things at my speed (mostly slow these days that is). Goolwa just happens to be a "Cittaslow" town.... so I am right pace right place.

Those are stunning images. I don't seem to be able to get such clarity. What a gorgeous place

12-08-2020, 08:10 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I'm in Baltimore, MD which offers a wide variety of photographic opportunities.
I enjoyed visiting Baltimore in pre-COVID times, plenty to do and see and capture as images. More than the long vacations, I miss the short business travel that offered me opportunities for a free afternoon of exploring cities.

As for work, living in close proximity to such beauty makes it harder to sit behind a desk. Today I did not have time to leave my house and take pictures!
12-08-2020, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Few awesome place in New Mexico
White sand crazy white sand and blue sky
Mounts Taos
Or dry desert
A definitely Ballon Fiesta time
Drive few hours Grand Canyon or to north Colorado
Just I hope after vaccine can drive around
12-09-2020, 04:18 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The White Sands/Alamogordo are is ruggedly pretty, and don't forget Carlsbad Caverns!

12-09-2020, 06:07 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sorry too much bat remain about Covid
Another great place Tent rock national monument
12-09-2020, 06:48 PM - 3 Likes   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shoot, I forgot my other favorite place near me, a local drag strip! It's a small one, so they are somewhat lax on track side access, and I go freelance there when the jet cars run. At your bigger and well known tracks, they are very strict on access (more so due to other media contracts). Snapping away as you stand about 15 feet from a jet engine belching smoke and flames, and kicking off full afterburner is a thrill that's hard to beat.
12-09-2020, 09:09 PM - 3 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

Maybe a slightly different answer than most here but being in Florida within driving distance of both Miami and Orlando has afforded me the opportunity to work with some truly beautiful women. Also having access to so many beaches, natural areas, and various waterways has certainly influenced my style.
12-10-2020, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
afforded me the opportunity to work with some truly beautiful women.
That's quite a burden you toil under
12-10-2020, 10:55 AM - 3 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
That's quite a burden you toil under
He frequently takes one for the team,what a trooper!
12-12-2020, 05:50 PM - 5 Likes   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A new trail using an abandoned railroad tunnel recently opened nearby. It is very interesting, with a lot of historic value, and draws a lot of visitors. Fortunately I was able to visit before sunset and the crowds were fewer.

Though I think I was not alone, what was that in the darkness ahead?
12-13-2020, 12:42 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
A new trail using an abandoned railroad tunnel recently opened nearby. It is very interesting, with a lot of historic value, and draws a lot of visitors. Fortunately I was able to visit before sunset and the crowds were fewer.

Though I think I was not alone, what was that in the darkness ahead?
OK, that is well creepy. Interesting though, seeing how rough hewn the walls are
12-13-2020, 07:55 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Interesting though, seeing how rough hewn the walls are
It is mostly rough hewn, though there is some brickwork in part of the tunnel