Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2020, 09:25 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Well your country was completely closed boarder ,at least it was in our news .
Yes, but we did that, closed our borders to the other states. We had a ring of police around Melbourne on the main roads in and out. At the state borders, police and soldiers ensured that only delivery trucks with registered drivers moved in and out.

You can do that.

You are also free to fly into Australia from overseas, but you must pay for 14 days quarantine when you get here.

I don't understand ... how could you do otherwise? Why restrict your local residents but let others come in, you don't know what they've got. And if they're asymptomatic (up to a third, according to Spanish statistics), they don't know what they've got either.

And there are pretend lockdowns and real lockdowns. Real lockdowns can eliminate, pretend ones can't, you're in the medical field, so you already know that.

Whenever we found a single person with covid, we isolated them, their contacts, and the rule now is we test contacts of contacts, too. You can't do any of that with thousands of people visiting each other in houses or not wearing masks in workplaces, resulting in thousands of cases per day. It's impossible.

But if everyone follows the rules, your state can do it too.

New Mexico has two million population? Victoria has six million, five million in the Melbourne area. We tried local suburban lockdowns, it didn't work, we just did it across the whole city and got it over and done with rather than have it pop up again here, there and everywhere like that old game, Whack-A-Mole.

Last edited by clackers; 12-10-2020 at 09:57 PM.
12-10-2020, 09:34 PM - 2 Likes   #32
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
I'll tell you this, from my experience with it - I was sick with a cough for a week or so, no other symptoms so I didn't pay much attention. Then one particular evening a fever hit me along with a sore throat and still the nagging cough, so I laid in bed and by morning I couldn't move. My legs were extremely sore and I couldn't get out of bed. My wife had to help me to the restroom and back and just doing that simple task wore me down to the core. I also had zero appetite and could barely eat for the better part of 4 days. Now, here's the strangest thing of all, after about 5 days or so I was able to move around and I felt like I was on the mend, for about 3 days I was feeling like I beat this thing, but "BAMB"! I feel so tired and run down right now and the cough is back, so are muscle aches.
Kevin,
I'm not a medical doctor, nor would I give medical advice publicly in a forum even if I was. And I realize your post was from 5 days ago, so this may be too late. But I do keep on top of the covid news both personally and professionally. There are cases of people who were on the mend who then got hit really hard a few days later and got much sicker than originally. So all I want to suggest is that if you do start to feel better, don't push yourself. Give yourself a lot of time to recover slowly even if it feels like you are making progress.
12-10-2020, 10:27 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here in USA contact tracers are getting little cooperation, only around 50% according to most reports.

Chris
12-10-2020, 10:32 PM   #34
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Here in USA contact tracers are getting little cooperation, something on the order of 50% according to most reports.
We had an update today from our chief medical officer and a colleague with their current projection models. One of the trends that was flagged for the city of Toronto proper is they they couldn't trace the origin for 70% of the cases. They pointed out that people were asked if they had any significant contacts recently only to be told none, but then later after more questioning would mention a gathering of friends or some office event, but of course "nobody at this thing showed any symptoms". So some of the problem is that people don't realize what is significant or not. The other is that when case numbers get high, proper contract tracing is almost impossible because there are too many names to contact.

12-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I got it from my job, my entire family had it.... barely sick for two days, I had colds worse then this (and not even in the top 10 flu's in my lifetime).
The good thing about it, I got 14 days off vacation paid by the state (my regular wages) and all while not being sick.
12-13-2020, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fiveseven Quote
I got it from my job, my entire family had it.... barely sick for two days, I had colds worse then this (and not even in the top 10 flu's in my lifetime).
It's terribly unfortunate you and your family caught it, but fortunate you weren't especially sick and recovered quickly. You were all very lucky. That's one of the problems in convincing folks how serious this is... age and underlying conditions aside, how it affects each of us seems to be something of a lottery. Unfortunately, the deniers latch on to cases like yours where the illness wasn't serious or protracted, claiming "It's no worse than a cold or mild 'flu" - which, in some cases is true. It's inconvenient for them to confront the cases where folks died (around 1.6M globally as of 12th December), were hospitalised for extended periods, have experienced on-going symptoms or ended up with permanent damage to their lungs and other organs

COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects - Mayo Clinic

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-13-2020 at 04:15 AM.
12-13-2020, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sympathise with the OP, and wish him and his family well for a full recovery.

My opinions on this subject are strong, but I will not voice them here. I would encourage others to do the same
12-13-2020, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I sympathise with the OP, and wish him and his family well for a full recovery.

My opinions on this subject are strong, but I will not voice them here. I would encourage others to do the same
Iím afraid if I open that floodgate it will be hard to shut it. On top of which - this thread isnít a general thread, it is about a member of our forum family. We shouldnít take away from that by veering off into debates and the politics of the virus.