Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2021, 02:33 PM   #151
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
USPS failed to deliver January issue of monthly I should have received end of November. OK, that happens on occasions. Called publisher early December, they will send another. End of December my February issue arrives as it should, but second sent January issue still not here. Timely arrival of this magazine is important as it deals with celestial occurances.

What do they do with these things, toss them in the trash? I mean, it's not like an election ballot, afterall!
My wife just received her “Notice of changes and available plans for 2021” for her health plan today. January 7. Plan enrollment change period ended October 31st. Requested in home date on the large packet, September 1-7, 2020. Good thing we checked all her information online!

---------- Post added 01-07-21 at 04:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
fingers crossed

my LX bought from a forum member from Washington State has started its journey

scheduled to be delivered to Topeka KS on Saturday January 9 2021
When someone buys the Kiron 105/2.8 Macro I have listed for sale, here and elsewhere, it is being shipped UPS!!

---------- Post added 01-07-21 at 04:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Poor Jeff. He isn't the richest man in the world anymore, you should send him a sympathy email at least.
Can I send him a burning bag full of dog excrement instead?

01-07-2021, 02:44 PM - 2 Likes   #152
Veteran Member

Son wanted a pair of new hand grips for his mountain bike from a specific bike shop about 40 minutes away.
USPS shipping shows they went out Dec. 14, were hung up on the 18th for days, now on the move again.
One of his Christmas presents will be a bit late.
01-07-2021, 03:32 PM - 2 Likes   #153
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
Must have been a WWI surplus biplane.
More likely a WWII glider. They don't do well with the absence of thermals in Winter.
01-07-2021, 06:21 PM - 3 Likes   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
USPS failed to deliver January issue of monthly I should have received end of November. OK, that happens on occasions. Called publisher early December, they will send another. End of December my February issue arrives as it should, but second sent January issue still not here. Timely arrival of this magazine is important as it deals with celestial occurances.

What do they do with these things, toss them in the trash? I mean, it's not like an election ballot, afterall!
All mail including periodicals - we call them flats - are sorted by machine.

At my facility most flats are sorted by this machine, the AFSM100:

It's a complicated machine.
Sometimes a flat will miss the bucket in the carousel, fall between the conveyor rollers and wind up on the floor.

As with all types of our sorting machines a daily mail search is performed.
But there are plenty of hiding places under that machine and it is inevitable
that an occasional mailpiece is missed.

Mailpieces may arrived damaged; some may be damaged by the sorting machine.
If address label is missing, defaced or otherwise illegible mailpiece is undeliverable.

Chris
USPS Brooklyn P&DC

01-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #155
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you meant to post that in the Joke Thread.
Nope.

I have sent him numerous e-mail messages over the years. No, he doesn't answer them personally, but when he gets customer complaints, they are forwarded to whoever is appropriate to respond, and the expectation at Amazon is the issue will be resolved.

I loathe Amazon, but for some things it is the only viable option. As I mentioned, there have been times that I wasn't getting the satisfaction I desired, and a quick note to him has always resulted in action.

One of the few good things I can say about Amazon.
01-07-2021, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Jeez, there’s an extensive thread on this very subject on my other hobby website, Board Game Geek. For the Postal Service my home is on a route often used for training. We get a new mail carrier fairly often. When having items mailed to my home I always request the shipper spell out South Galt Avenue because many carriers seem to think the letter S stands for North. I have traded phone numbers with the family on North Galt Avenue.

Last edited by Perfessor5646; 01-07-2021 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Clarity
01-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #157
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In the past two months, I have watched several USPS Priority Mail packages make it to within 55 miles of my home only to be mis-directed by the Pittsburgh USPS hub at Warrendale, PA. Two of the packages were sent east to Harrisburg then Lancaster. The packages then went back to harrisburg, then across the state to Warrendale. One then went to Johnstown, then finally to my local PO. The other was sent BACK across the state to Harrisburg AGAIN, the Lancaster, back to Harrisburg, back to Warrendale where it then sat for three days, finally going on to Johnstown, then the next day, my hometown PO. I also had a package mailed from 330 miles away in NY state disappear from tracking after leaving the sender's PO. Eleven days later the tracking updated and the package finally made it out of the Syracuse, NY distribution center. Four days after that I finally had it.
One of my board gamer friends has had a USPS shipment yo-yoing back and forth between Lancaster and Harrisburg. I don’t have the time to post my adventures with FedEx. When I post an item for sale in the PF Marketplace it WILL be shipped via UPS.

01-07-2021, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #158
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Nice looking machine Chris.

The mailroom looks clean and tidy. Like the people who work there take pride in their jobs.

I wish the post offices in my area were like that, but unfortunately no. The buildings are run down, long overdue for maintenance and paint. The floors inside are dirty, having been neglected for many years. There is clutter everywhere, and many of the postal workers are slovenly, poorly groomed, wearing uniforms that look like they slept in them. At one of the offices, the woman who is the post master is in her 50's, has tattoos everywhere (sleeves, and ink going up her neck to the chin), and looks like she fell face first into her daddy's tackle box (facial piercings, etc.). That office is the one that delivers our mail, and in 16 years we have had nothing but poor service. Misdelivered mail, mail not delivered because it snowed an inch (what happened to neither wind, nor rain, nor snow, nor dark of night?), packages that should have been delivered to the porch because they were too big for the box but we're crammed into the box, damaging what was in the package.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If address label is missing, defaced or otherwise illegible mailpiece is undeliverable.
Isn't a bar code printed on the mailpieces to aid in sorting and routing them?
01-07-2021, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Nice looking machine Chris.

The mailroom looks clean and tidy. Like the people who work there take pride in their jobs.

That photo is the ideal. It was not taken where I work. Maintenance and custodial staff have been cut dramatically and it shows,
at the sorting facility where I work and at the station where you mail your letters.

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Isn't a bar code printed on the mailpieces to aid in sorting and routing them?

That is correct. However normally it is located adjacent to the printed address, often on the same label.
If one is damaged, defaced or missing likely the other one is too.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-08-2021 at 05:00 PM.
01-08-2021, 06:35 AM - 3 Likes   #160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At my facility most flats are sorted by this machine, the AFSM100:
You mean they aren't sorted by hands?

01-08-2021, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
You mean they aren't sorted by hand?

Even today mention mail sorting and likely most people envision a roomful
of old grey-haired men casing mail i.e. stuffing envelopes into pigeonholes.

Chris
01-08-2021, 05:58 PM   #162
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Even today mention mail sorting and likely most people envision a roomful
of old grey-haired men casing mail i.e. stuffing envelopes into pigeonholes.

Chris
funny

I thought it was more like the Harlem Globetrotters throwing the basketball around

01-09-2021, 07:14 AM   #163
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, we need Mr. Mc Feeley and his “Speedy Delivery”. Just received a letter postmarked in October. Glad it was in regards to something unimportant. My package mailed Monday is still MIA, even the local Postmaster couldn’t find a scan of the parcel since it left town. I hope it isn’t laying under a conveyor somewhere.
01-09-2021, 08:00 AM   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cato woman accused of failing to deliver mail for USPS, feds say - syracuse.com.

QuoteQuote:
Syracuse, N.Y. -- A 37-year-old United States Post Service employee has been accused of not delivering mail for about two weeks late in 2020, according to a news release issued by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of New York.

Priscilla Czyz, of Cato, was charged with obstructing the mail, federal prosecutors said Friday. She “willfiully” failed to deliver mail between Sept. 24, 2020 and Oct. 7, 2020, according to to federal prosecutors.
01-09-2021, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #165
Veteran Member

It took 25 days for the bike grips I ordered for my son to arrive from about 30 miles away.
The package is in pristine condition, I'm a bit surprised.