Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 188 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #106
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Package volume has simply overwhelmed USPS capacity.
Unlike other shippers we are not allowed to say "no".

Your local post office - we call them stations - will be closed on Christmas Day.
However our sorting facilities remain open and continue to process the backlog.

I will be working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.
I volunteered, but many of my coworkers were mandated "for the needs of the service".

So when you are in your warm home with family, full of holiday cheer
remember USPS employees will be working hard around the clock to fulfill our mission.

Happy Holidays,
Chris
USPS Brooklyn P&DC
it is easy to point a finger and complain

my Nana when she caught us pointing a finger said: " count how many are pointing back to you "

thanks for giving us the view point of the hard workers at the USPS

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-21-2020 at 03:17 PM.
12-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
it is easy to point a finger and complain

my Nana when she caught us pointing a finger said: " count how many point back to you "
This is why I point with all 5.

And while yes, I do recognize the extra volume of this season, my personal issues with the USPS are long standing, so it's hard for me to have much extra sympathy for them.
12-21-2020, 05:56 PM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Package volume has simply overwhelmed USPS capacity.
Unlike other shippers we are not allowed to say "no".

Your local post office - we call them stations - will be closed on Christmas Day.
However our sorting facilities remain open and continue to process the backlog.

I will be working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.
I volunteered, but many of my coworkers were mandated "for the needs of the service".

So when you are in your warm home with family, full of holiday cheer
remember USPS employees will be working hard around the clock to fulfill our mission.

Happy Holidays,
Chris
USPS Brooklyn P&DC
Thank you Chris.
12-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dhebard Quote
One can only hope that at some point, in the very near future, things will return to some sense of normalcy. I refer to the old normal, not the "new" normal some folks are touting...
I decided to make some gifts this year because we couldn't travel. The first USPS package was exactly on time, the second was delayed a couple of days and arrived at the height of a northeaster. So USPS did better than me. Here's one corner of my handcut dovetail box, which fits perfectly except not the way it's supposed to fit.

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2kjeM4K]IMGC9042[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/60863347@N04/]Dave[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

I do have an Amazon story. I ordered a couple of LED panel lights just after Thanksgiving for a project my wife has. For some reason, they shipped separately: one via FedEx and one via Amazon. The Amazon box was late, then really late. Then they said it was probably lost, click here for a refund. OK, no big deal, I'll get a refund and reorder eventually. I got the refund, it was processed quickly, showed up on my CC, then the package showed up the next day. I waited a week to see if they'd charge me for it, then contacted customer service to get them to bill me. I think it's sorted out.

12-21-2020, 07:43 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just spent over 3 hours on hold with the USPS, of course I was rocking a sleeping granddaughter most of that time so a win for me anyway. I've had a package in New jersey since December 6th. They were going to send them a complaint to see if they can find it.

On the flip side of this, I ordered a FA*80-200 off fleabay from Japan, I got the shipping notification on the 16th, it arrived on the 18th. I was amazed it could get here so fast. Of course there wasn't one in the market place here until after I bought this one. I bet it was only hours and one showed up here.

Tim

Last edited by fuzzyphotos; 12-21-2020 at 08:30 PM.
12-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #111
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Things took a bit longer than usual but everything has arrived. My shopping is done, gifts are wrapped and under the tree!
12-23-2020, 06:56 AM - 2 Likes   #112

FedEx emailed me at 6:40 pm last night that at 8:17 pm no one was at home when their imaginary driver from the future, an hour and half after the email, knocked his ghostly fingers on my door.
Artificial Intelligence is melting down faster than Antarctica.
After sunset we were watching Jupiter collide with Saturn with my old 8x50 Nikon binoculars. Not a FedEx truck anywhere, but at least they had a good excuse to cheer me up.

12-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My items are stuck all over the country and haven't moved in days.
I guess I too will be giving tracking numbers as gifts this year.
OTOH at least I will save on wrapping paper...

Chris
12-23-2020, 04:53 PM   #114
Pentaxian

"This side of the Pond", so not USPS but somewhat illustrates the "chaos" that postal deliveries are in many countries, I guess!:
- very good UK trade supplier (CPS-Farnell): ordered stuff Saturday evening, shipped sometime on Monday -: this morning tracking said it was coming by Royal Mail and due on the 29th but it arrived this afternoon! (good job - small presents for step-daughter due to be delivered tomorrow when we go over to - socially distanced - see her)!
- ebay - replacement fan for my main laptop: order projected Tuesday 29th delivery - and then it also arrived this AM by Royal Mail -> "disabled" laptop now sort-of up and running but a lot of work still to do because k/b doesn't work = another semi-stripdown and then reassembly job

Apart from that, the kitchen sink then stopped draining out this evening, and - after "some work" - i need to get another sink drain trap tomorrow, fit it and THEN sort out exactly where the blockage actually is ! .
12-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #115
PDL
Pentaxian

My story this year is issues with WhiteWall. I love the company and its products, but I ordered three copies of a picture shipped to three different addresses. The upload/order on 2020/12/07 shipped on 2020/12/09. Shipped via USPS - nothing yet anywhere. I bought them under the idea that they would be delivered "before Christmas" so they have until tomorrow.

I understand that the USPS is having issues, exemplified by my order for medication. Ordered on a Wednesday and it normally takes three days max, the pharmacy did not contact me about the following. I contacted the pharmacy on Monday (I had run out of my "normal" dose on the previous Saturday) and they said no stock on hand and were waiting for a shipment. Later on that Monday I received a email from the pharmacy stating that my order had been shipped. After emailing my physician about the effect of cold turkey quitting a medication I have been taking daily for nearly 25 years he said that my condition is under control and that I should not see any side effects. Well on FRIDAY the meds showed up along with additional medication ordered on Tuesday. When I looked at the USPS shipping tracking - the package had gone from the pharmacy to nearly every suburb of Seattle on the East side of Lake Washington - some of them twice. Sometimes the Kimchee hits the fan. (Just in case you are wondering I love Kimchee)

I also sent out calendars, again. Some of them hit their spots in three days. The last one, that I can confirm, hit it target today. We watched in spin around between cities in the Midwest for almost a week. I need to check with my sister an niece to make sure that they have their copies.
EDIT: Texts and emails have verified that all calendars have arrived and everyone is doing OK out there.

Gees, you almost think I was sending ballots around (I know, politics is not kosher here, but the USPS has been slowed down specifically to deter such things).

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 05:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Here's one corner of my handcut dovetail box, which fits perfectly except not the way it's supposed to fit.
Well, at least I don't show my mistakes here. I would burn through any quota pretty quick. However, if I were showing you my completed project(s) I am genetically compelled to mansplain every last possible mistake with gestures and foul language (as appropriate)

Last edited by PDL; 12-24-2020 at 05:35 PM.
12-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was funny.
Looks like I'm going to be doing the same.

My items are stuck all over the country and haven't moved in days.
I guess I too will be giving tracking numbers as gifts this year.
OTOH at least I will save on wrapping paper...

Chris
12-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CNN: USPS delays: 'Perfect storm' of high package volume, employees out with COVID slowing deliveries before Christmas

NPR: Millions of Christmas gifts may arrive late due to overload at the Postal Service

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-23-2020 at 11:00 PM.
12-24-2020, 02:59 AM   #118

Last night a Fedex overnight package from Saturday arrived at 930 pm. The envelope had a crude map drawn on it of all the streets in my neighborhood. I hope the driver made it back home.
A "secret Santa"surprise came via USPS earlier yesterday. It was a Pentax ML-60 AF Cross-lined Matte Focusing Screen. I never ordered that, so it must be Santa. I finally figured out that it must have been the Pentax O-ME53 Viewfinder that I ordered in mid November and was cancelled weeks ago.
The weird thing is this focusing screen was mailed from the West Coast in December, and the viewfinder was from a guy in Japan. The only connection is that both the viewfinder and the focusing screen are packaged in similar boxes.
12-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #119

Hoping this corrects itself after the holidays. I've also noticed my packaging in label printed status and not received by the post office yet. It seems like a way for the post office to pad the extended times even more.

I have a small side hustle and now I'm responding to emails from customers who think I have not shipped there package yet.

A few months ago I had a delayed in shipment on a package to that took over 2 months to arrive.

I've also noticed alot of ebay shipping stating do to postal delays they are shipping fedex.

One issue is if this keeps up more and more people will rely on amazon. Especially since they have their own distribution / shipping. This is not good for small business.

Steve
12-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My last batch of calender shipments arrived in a timely manner earlier this week to which I am relieved. Too bad screwed up a personalized date on that batch 😣