Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just Missed it... Deals or Sales That Got Away

We've all been there... You've a great price for something that you've really wanted. You wait a little while to mull it over and then you go to buy it and you just miss it. Or you simply forgot about it and by the time you remember, the opportunity has passed.

So what are some of the opportunities to score a great deal or something you've really wanted that just happened to pass you by?

12-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I saw an FA* 250-600 for $5000 Canadian ($4000) American on Kijiji. Used 12 times on a trip to Arica 20 years ago. The box hadn't been opened since. Someone scooped in before I even read the ad. I could have sold it for $7000 the next day if I decided I didn't want it.
12-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I saw an FA* 250-600 for $5000 Canadian ($4000) American on Kijiji. Used 12 times on a trip to Arica 20 years ago. The box hadn't been opened since. Someone scooped in before I even read the ad.
Ouch.
12-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Too many to count - some people do not realise that auction bidding takes precedence over all other activities ! Then again, I have had several bargains, sometimes when the seller has either mis-described an item or when the images have been less than helpful, shall we say. I work on the principle that if I miss out on something, then that one was not intended for me, and I'll just wait for the next one at an acceptable price.

12-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just last week I saved a lot of money because ebay thought it'd be a great idea to limit a 50€ off coupon to 4pm on the same day. Must have missed going through until I could enter the coupon code by about 2 minutes max. because I didn't know that the coupon was limited and read reviews here and elsewhere to decide if I really needed wanted the lens for that price. The coupon would not even have taken a significant percentage off the full price, but I said to myself that if I had to think that long to purchase it with the rebate, I wouldn't want it without it.
12-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In 2011, I passed on a sale that was listed in an online classified (Kijiji). I spotted the listing almost as soon as it went online. The seller was located about a three-hour car drive from me, I was free for the day, and the listing gave their telephone number so I could have snapped it up. I looked up the lenses in our database. I hemmed and hawed for a few minutes, then decided not to chase it. After stewing on the deal for a while, I decided later in the day to buy the items. Of course, they were already gone.

The lenses?

SMC Pentax 55mm f/2

SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.4

SMC Pentax 200mm f/2.5

and...

SMC Pentax 28mm f/2 (yes, that one)

The asking price? CAD $150 for the lot. (USD $120 at the time).

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-09-2020 at 06:03 AM.
12-23-2020, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Hardly ever....years ago I used to miss stuff as I agonised over the pros and cons. These days if I want it and the price is right its done right there. Bagged a few beauties of late but like a velocoraptor I am always hunting with my sharp eyes and even sharper claws

12-24-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure I've missed some great deals but I think those are outweighed by the good ones that I have scored. If I'm bidding on an auction I just bid what I'm happy with and leave it at that and if I win, so be it. If I lose I don't worry about what might have been. If a seller will consider offers I submit something below my maximum just to try my luck. If they knock it back I'll counter until we get something we're both happy with or I'll walk away. I've sometimes ended up with an even better deal by doing that.

As has been said many times before......there's always another deal out there
12-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Hardly ever....years ago I used to miss stuff as I agonised over the pros and cons. These days if I want it and the price is right its done right there. Bagged a few beauties of late but like a velocoraptor I am always hunting with my sharp eyes and even sharper claws
I've found agonizing over the pros and cons is helpful though in not spending a lot of money needlessly/impulsively. I usually wait awhile before buying something I think I want, just to see if the honeymoon dies down. If I still want it, then I'll hunt it down.

A number of times I have wanted something, waited, then realized I didn't. Saved money, time, and hassle (trying to return or resell).
12-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A year or two ago I passed a deal for a Tamron Adaptall-2 180/2.5, only $300-ish. Double that now.
12-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #11
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since you raised this thread, I'll moan and groan about something that has been bugging me for the last little while. *bay offering of a SMC Pentax 135/2.5 at a good price. It was both auction or best offer. I sent an offer above the minimum bid, and it lapsed. In the end the lens sold for the minimum auction price and this was less than I had offered. Guess it just wasn't meant to be.

On the flip side, I look at the prices being asked today, and I'm grateful the bulk of my LBA was several years ago, when it was still possible to pick up Helios or 50/1.4 lenses for a lot less than current auctions for 50/2 lenses.
12-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Since you raised this thread, I'll moan and groan about something that has been bugging me for the last little while. *bay offering of a SMC Pentax 135/2.5 at a good price. It was both auction or best offer. I sent an offer above the minimum bid, and it lapsed. In the end the lens sold for the minimum auction price and this was less than I had offered. Guess it just wasn't meant to be.
I had that happen to me once, too. I guess somebody wasn't paying attention.
12-24-2020, 07:31 PM   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I had that happen to me once, too. I guess somebody wasn't paying attention.
Well me on the one hand for not bidding again
That said, it was a seller who had had an account for a while, but a 0 rating so you never quite know what the story is.
I also can't complain too much. I launched the bid late Friday and it may have expired Sunday so anyone doing something over a weekend might have missed it. No idea if *bay protocols would have allowed the seller to alert me that that was the situation.
Oh well, money not spent is money I can direct towards a different purchase
12-24-2020, 07:50 PM - 2 Likes   #14
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
A year or two ago I passed a deal for a Tamron Adaptall-2 180/2.5, only $300-ish. Double that now.
Over twenty years ago I pondered buying Amazon shares, but decided not to because they were just a bookstore and who is going to buy books from them when Barnes and Noble are everywhere?

Try not to ruminate too much in hindsight. It will eat you alive!
12-25-2020, 06:53 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Over twenty years ago I pondered buying Amazon shares, but decided not to because they were just a bookstore and who is going to buy books from them when Barnes and Noble are everywhere?

Try not to ruminate too much in hindsight. It will eat you alive!
I liked B&N, miss having them around.