Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2020, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #16

My seller in Germany acknowledged that 40 days means that the package has been lost but cheerfully sent a replacement into the void this morning.

12-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EnglishBob Quote
My seller in Germany acknowledged that 40 days means that the package has been lost but cheerfully sent a replacement into the void this morning.
Sounds like you ended up with a better seller than me. I decided to send them a message today. Here's what I said.

Hello, I was informed today that once a package passes 40 days it is lost. I think it's safe to say that the postal service you chose lost the package. It's been 51 days with no change. Will you be sending me the replacement, or should I get my cash back?

His response.

""Hello again,
If it would be an individual case, and all other packages came in time, I were totally with you. But it is all the same with US shipments at the moment.
But, finally all packages I shipped in October and some shipped in beginning of November are now scanned from USPS and go on. So hopefully at your package also soon. Crazy long time! I have learned about it and announce this long delay in my US offers. You have total insurance via PayPal for 120 days. After 9 weeks I declare it as lost. So I just can ask you for more patience. Kind regards and big thanks for your patience"

If I don't get this lens by January 7th. I think I'll just get my money back and put it toward a good AF lens.
12-23-2020, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Post across the planet is slow at the moment. I have a shipment of a container from China thats been sat on a ship since October. Loaded at Shanghai in October, got as far as Felixstowe and couldnt berth as no berths for it, had to lay off and wait. After ten days it got routed to Rotterdam, went to Rotterdam and couldnt berth there. Waited five days and finally went to Hamburg. Container offloaded but no lorries available so had to be put on another ship for consignment to Thames Gateway. Ship got there and managed to offload. No capacity to handle the container so its been sat there since start of December.

Meanwhile post using RM is slow taking up to 10 days.

One item being handled by a courier has taken 30 days end to end on a 4 day service.

Problem with web reviews is a few hundred people moaning can make a service look bad, but, you have to balance it against the millions of people who are shipping stuff around with no issues. When was the last time any of us got a letter delivered and thought ‘gee I am going to go to a review site and give a review on how amazing it was to get a letter delivered’ ? We just take it for granted until it goes wrong.

I’d bet your lens will arrive.
12-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Post across the planet is slow at the moment. I have a shipment of a container from China thats been sat on a ship since October. Loaded at Shanghai in October, got as far as Felixstowe and couldnt berth as no berths for it, had to lay off and wait. After ten days it got routed to Rotterdam, went to Rotterdam and couldnt berth there. Waited five days and finally went to Hamburg. Container offloaded but no lorries available so had to be put on another ship for consignment to Thames Gateway. Ship got there and managed to offload. No capacity to handle the container so its been sat there since start of December.

Meanwhile post using RM is slow taking up to 10 days.

One item being handled by a courier has taken 30 days end to end on a 4 day service.

Problem with web reviews is a few hundred people moaning can make a service look bad, but, you have to balance it against the millions of people who are shipping stuff around with no issues. When was the last time any of us got a letter delivered and thought ‘gee I am going to go to a review site and give a review on how amazing it was to get a letter delivered’ ? We just take it for granted until it goes wrong.

I’d bet your lens will arrive.
I've ordered 4 packages in the last couple weeks. In-country post (both Deutsche Post and DHL) has been nothing short of excellent - about two days delivery time with standard shipping.
The two international packages (one sent from my family in Spain, another sent from a colleague to his family in Italy) I know of were stuck for at least a week as "handed to the carrier in the destination country". Covid restrictions for postal workers, on top of the Christmas rush, on top of Covid-increased parcel deliveries (Three out of four packages I would not have bought online in other circumstances!) means that this year we'll all need a good dose of patience.

12-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
Sounds like you ended up with a better seller than me. I decided to send them a message today. Here's what I said.

Hello, I was informed today that once a package passes 40 days it is lost. I think it's safe to say that the postal service you chose lost the package. It's been 51 days with no change. Will you be sending me the replacement, or should I get my cash back?

His response.

""Hello again,
If it would be an individual case, and all other packages came in time, I were totally with you. But it is all the same with US shipments at the moment.
But, finally all packages I shipped in October and some shipped in beginning of November are now scanned from USPS and go on. So hopefully at your package also soon. Crazy long time! I have learned about it and announce this long delay in my US offers. You have total insurance via PayPal for 120 days. After 9 weeks I declare it as lost. So I just can ask you for more patience. Kind regards and big thanks for your patience"

If I don't get this lens by January 7th. I think I'll just get my money back and put it toward a good AF lens.
Sorry to say my experience has led me to believe the seller is accurate. Tracking doesn't get updated to say that it's just sitting in a US inspection warehouse, which is probably where it is.
12-24-2020, 03:26 AM   #21

Year Zero ends next week. Not sure what Year Zero Plus One will unfold, but never thought that 2019 would be the zenith.
12-24-2020, 04:31 AM   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I just received at least two weeks' regular post in one batch from Royal Mail. Bills, insurance renewal reminders, (lots of) Christmas cards... It's quite clear RM is snowed under right now, and I suspect many mail services around the world are in a similar pickle.

Meanwhile, I ordered a new phone from Amazon UK late evening on 22nd, and it arrived the following morning. Say what you will about Amazon, but their delivery service is impressive...

12-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got a replacement adapter from K&F that came from China. It came fairly quick. Not having any issues with any of my orders from Amazon either.
12-26-2020, 03:03 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Wll heres one for you....I shipped a motor drive to someone via courier over 60 days ago. Courier tracked it as far as the collection and then nothing. After 15 days of no updates the courier gives me a refund.
A couple of weeks later the tracking starts activating, shows it being transferred to a depot at the far end of the country and nowehere near where its supposed to be, a constant stream of tracking data all to completely the wrong area, recovered from delivery, transferred to a different depot, redelivered, recovered etc etc like a pinball. This goes on for a few days.

Then nothing......

Finally arrives back on my doorstep on Christmas eve with a note saying they were unable to deliver so returned to sender !!!!

Go figure.
12-26-2020, 03:18 AM   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Wll heres one for you....I shipped a motor drive to someone via courier over 60 days ago. Courier tracked it as far as the collection and then nothing. After 15 days of no updates the courier gives me a refund.
A couple of weeks later the tracking starts activating, shows it being transferred to a depot at the far end of the country and nowehere near where its supposed to be, a constant stream of tracking data all to completely the wrong area, recovered from delivery, transferred to a different depot, redelivered, recovered etc etc like a pinball. This goes on for a few days.

Then nothing......

Finally arrives back on my doorstep on Christmas eve with a note saying they were unable to deliver so returned to sender !!!!

Go figure.
I've received two parcels in the last few weeks that were either guaranteed 24hr or 48hr tracked delivery... each took around a fortnight to reach me, and neither received any tracking or delivery updates on Royal Mail's Track & Trace service. It's never a good time of year for deliveries, but I'm sure most of what we're seeing is the impact of the pandemic on existing staff and recruitment of inexperienced new staff, as well as third-party services used to make up the staffing shortfalls and clear backlogs...
12-26-2020, 06:55 AM   #26

Happy Boxing Day
12-26-2020, 07:17 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are interesting times. I ordered an FA 50mm f1.7 on Ebay from a Japanese seller on the evening of 20th Dec at a good price but pricy delivery through FedEx International Priority.

It arrived midday on 24th Dec. I was quite surprised to see the anticipated delivery date, and it arrived a day late but I'm not complaining. Very nice lens BTW.
12-27-2020, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
These are interesting times. I ordered an FA 50mm f1.7 on Ebay from a Japanese seller on the evening of 20th Dec at a good price but pricy delivery through FedEx International Priority.

It arrived midday on 24th Dec. I was quite surprised to see the anticipated delivery date, and it arrived a day late but I'm not complaining. Very nice lens BTW.
So I contact USPS by going to the top. I get a personal response:

"Dear EnglishBob,
Thank you for contacting the United States Postal Service® and taking the time to share your concerns with us. The Postal Service is experiencing unprecedented volume increases and limited employee availability due to the impacts of COVID-19.
Your inquiry has been processed and assigned to Service Request #xxxxx862 and has been forwarded to the appropriate management team for research and response.
We invite you to visit our Frequently Asked Questions page at: https://faq.usps.com/s/ for help with your future mailing and shipping needs.
Thank you again for bringing this to our attention, and for your patience while we investigate this matter.
Regards,
USPS"

Wow! HAL9000 sent me his "regards" and assigned his top management team! So then I get this:

"Dear EnglishBob,
Thank you for contacting the U.S. Postal Service®. This is in response to your recent inquiry regarding delayed mail.
As a result of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, Postal ServiceTM Priority Mail® products and First-ClassTM packages may temporarily experience delivery delays due to limited transportation availability. As soon as we receive your parcel at our facility we will deliver it to you.
Please be assured, the Postal Service’s goal is to move packages as expeditiously as possible, and we are committed to ensuring timely processing and delivery of essential packages. The Postal Service continually reviews its network capacity to provide the American public reliable, efficient, and fast delivery service.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this matter has caused.
Sincerely,
David Bowman
Postmaster
Discovery One Post Office
410-795-xxxx"

Expect to get this message next:

HAL 9000: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.
01-20-2021, 05:45 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Recently ordered a CD copy of 'Lizard', by King Crimson, from a business company whose user name ends in '-uk', which led me to believe that they are UK based, as am I. Today had an email update giving tracking number - when I checked this, I found that not only is the company based in Germany, but they are using the dreaded Deutsche-Post to send the CD. I wonder whether it'll arrive by Easter - or even arrive at all.
01-21-2021, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Recently ordered a CD copy of 'Lizard', by King Crimson, from a business company whose user name ends in '-uk', which led me to believe that they are UK based, as am I. Today had an email update giving tracking number - when I checked this, I found that not only is the company based in Germany, but they are using the dreaded Deutsche-Post to send the CD. I wonder whether it'll arrive by Easter - or even arrive at all.
Do keep us updated - if it's sent as a brief (cheaper than a package, which would have probably been using DHL) it might take a couple weeks.