Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2021, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
And why is it that delivery services ALWAYS get surprised when Christmas comes ? Every year, it's the same - 'Items delayed due to volume of packages'. In the Sixties (ah - happy times !) legions of students were employed at peak times to deal with this very situation, but no more. Do Post Office calendars not mention the advent of Christmas any more ?
In my area, they did an amazing job this year despite a Corona lock-down of retail stores adding yet more on top of already crazy Christmas volumes - everything arrived on time. As we also have some birthdays in December, it's a lot. My LAOWA 100 was electronically labelled by the importer/retailer on Dec 23, 12:30, picked up by DHL (Deutsche Post) at 14:30, traveled from the very southern tip of Germany to the north and was delivered to us on Dec 24th around noon - just in time for my wife to wrap it and put it under the tree. Presents are exchanged on Christmas Eve here ... Standard service, not express.

01-21-2021, 04:25 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
In my area, they did an amazing job this year despite a Corona lock-down of retail stores adding yet more on top of already crazy Christmas volumes - everything arrived on time. As we also have some birthdays in December, it's a lot. My LAOWA 100 was electronically labelled by the importer/retailer on Dec 23, 12:30, picked up by DHL (Deutsche Post) at 14:30, traveled from the very southern tip of Germany to the north and was delivered to us on Dec 24th around noon - just in time for my wife to wrap it and put it under the tree. Presents are exchanged on Christmas Eve here ... Standard service, not express.
My Christmas gifts all arrived within 48 hours of being dispatched to DHL* as well - within Germany the service is extremely fast in my experience. International is when the things get rough .

Incidentally, I dread having a package delivered by GLS, because whoever is assigned NEVER bothers to even try delivering (this has happened the 3 times we've have such courier, both to me and my flatmates), they just say "recipient not at home" whether we are or not... and the only package station they have is in the middle of nowhere, 7 or 8 km away, and only open during office hours. Pain in the butt to go pick anything up there.

*Okay one box was Hermes, but it arrived quickly all the same .
01-21-2021, 05:04 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Recently ordered a CD copy of 'Lizard', by King Crimson, from a business company whose user name ends in '-uk', which led me to believe that they are UK based, as am I. Today had an email update giving tracking number - when I checked this, I found that not only is the company based in Germany, but they are using the dreaded Deutsche-Post to send the CD. I wonder whether it'll arrive by Easter - or even arrive at all.

As you have discovered a web name is no guarantee of location, never has been. Thanks to Brexit you might also find yourself with additional costs to pay for any items sourced from the EU just like you would from any other country outside the UK. These costs might include VAT and customs duties depending on the value of the shipment and administration fees in most cases even if VAT and duty don't apply. That is going to kill the second hand import market for photo stuff to and from the EU.

Happily for UK King Crimson fans the solution is to buy from Burning Shed - I have the 40th Anniversary editions of the early stuff which come with high resolution, DTS5.1 surround sound DVD-As as well as the standard CD. They sound superb!
01-21-2021, 06:14 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
As you have discovered a web name is no guarantee of location, never has been. Thanks to Brexit you might also find yourself with additional costs to pay for any items sourced from the EU just like you would from any other country outside the UK. These costs might include VAT and customs duties depending on the value of the shipment and administration fees in most cases even if VAT and duty don't apply. That is going to kill the second hand import market for photo stuff to and from the EU.

Happily for UK King Crimson fans the solution is to buy from Burning Shed - I have the 40th Anniversary editions of the early stuff which come with high resolution, DTS5.1 surround sound DVD-As as well as the standard CD. They sound superb!
Thanks for the warning - and the link !

01-21-2021, 07:09 AM   #35
Veteran Member

$111 for a phone call, who are you using? Drop your phone supplier and use a VOIP urgently or Skype, call are normally less than .05 cents per minute
01-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
I contacted various numbers, and couldn't get a hold of anyone. When I did eventually get a hold of someone they transferred me to one of their friends that didn't speak English. They ended up hanging up the phone on me. To make matters worse that phone call costed me $111.00.
How sure are you the seller didn't use DHL? Deutsche Post ships only mail and small packages inside germany.

I than looked up the postal service the seller used. I was shocked to see the horrible reviews. Have a look if you like
Deutsche Post Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.deutschepost.de
How sure are you the seller didn't use DHL?
By the way, Deutsche Post has a very good reputation for delivering mail inside germany.
The reputation of USPS inside USA seems to be kind of ... destructing.
United States Postal Service Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.usps.com

DHL is a separate daughter company of Deutsche Post AG, which booth has been created out of the German federal post office (Deutsche Bundespost) during privatisation in 1994.
DHL ships freight, cargo, packages etc. worldwide. One of their planes got shot down in Iraq 2003 and two employees got shot in Afghanistan 2008.
2003 Baghdad DHL attempted shootdown incident - Wikipedia
Two foreign nationals, one Afghan killed in Kabul shooting - CNN.com
Two DHL executives killed by their bodyguard

Have a look at the children that work there. Look up Deutsche Post on social media. Must be nice to get paid clowning around all day everyday.
Your talking about the employees of Deutsche Post AG isn't fair. You have to know that the company got privatized in 1994. New delivery employees get worse contracts, which led to the biggest strike of decades in 2015.
The reality is different than the PR shows.

His response.
""Hello again,
If it would be an individual case, and all other packages came in time, I were totally with you. But it is all the same with US shipments at the moment.
But, finally all packages I shipped in October and some shipped in beginning of November are now scanned from USPS and go on. So hopefully at your package also soon. Crazy long time! I have learned about it and announce this long delay in my US offers."
You have to consider that the USPS at this time has just finished the biggest postal voring in the history of the USA. So the amount of already delayed packages could've been immense. New incoming freight at this moment could possibly be delayed because of this events.
2020 United States Postal Service crisis - Wikipedia
2020 United States presidential election - Wikipedia
2020 United States Postal Service crisis - Wikipedia
Postal voting in the United States - Wikipedia
Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on politics - Wikipedia
01-26-2021, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

I withdraw my reservations about DP - the CD arrived today, having been given a delivery window between 25/01 (yesterday) and 09/02.

01-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #38
Pentaxian

As i said before, Deutsche Post as well as DHL are reliable.
01-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
As i said before, Deutsche Post as well as DHL are reliable.
Yeah, the hiccups happen mostly when it's international stuff during high-traffic times.
For the record I ordered a coffee machine on Saturday at noon (from the other side of Germany) and it was here today in the morning, so top shelf.
01-26-2021, 09:53 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My package seems to be moving...I probably won't get any more tracking info till it's sitting in US Customs...

eBay still says delivery between Feb 8 and Feb 16...
Attached Images

01-26-2021, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

You guys are lucky. When I was at the elementary school age, I'd spent my summer vacations with my grandparents in the countryside. As soon as I arrived, I'd write letters to friends in my hometown... I would send them with the Romanian Post Office, spent the 2 months of vacation, got back as the school would start again - and the letters would follow me, some months later.
You try an tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you
01-26-2021, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

In the days when I suffered from employment, on holiday once I sent my colleagues (both of them, plus the other occupants of the office) a Picture Postcard with the message 'I decided not to send a card this year'. Royal Mail joined in the joke - they decided not to deliver it.
01-27-2021, 02:25 AM   #43
Pentaxian

In the days when I suffered from employment, on holiday once I sent my colleagues (both of them, plus the other occupants of the office) a Picture Postcard with the message 'I decided not to send a card this year'. Royal Mail joined in the joke - they decided not to deliver it.
No, no, they are delivering it for sure, it's somewhere in transit...
01-27-2021, 02:31 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Just send a picture postcard from rural France to Germany and you're almost there ... Not months, but weeks.
01-27-2021, 02:40 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You guys are lucky. When I was at the elementary school age, I'd spent my summer vacations with my grandparents in the countryside. As soon as I arrived, I'd write letters to friends in my hometown... I would send them with the Romanian Post Office, spent the 2 months of vacation, got back as the school would start again - and the letters would follow me, some months later.
New Zealand Post will not receive any mail for delivery to South Africa. They say that, because mail delivery in South Africa is so poor, that they can't guarantee service so simply won't try.
2 months would be nice. Try never!