Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Don't buy if the seller uses deutsche post!

I brought a rare lens on Ebay from Germany on November 2nd. It's December 8th and I still haven't received my package. When checking the tracking status it always says "November 3, 2020, 5:26 am
Processed Through Facility
FRANKFURT/FLUGHAFEN,*GERMANY"

"Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece."

I contacted various numbers, and couldn't get a hold of anyone. When I did eventually get a hold of someone they transferred me to one of their friends that didn't speak English. They ended up hanging up the phone on me. To make matters worse that phone call costed me $111.00.
I tried contacting them on social media and was ignored. The kids that work there seem more preoccupied taking garbage selfies of themselves instead of doing their damn job.

I than looked up the postal service the seller used. I was shocked to see the horrible reviews. Have a look if you like
Deutsche Post Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.deutschepost.de
I have already contacted the seller and he says that I should give it another two weeks. I'm concerned if I ever do get this lens it'll be damaged from mishandling or condensation.
What should I do?

12-08-2020, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You need to have a lot of patience. It took me two months to get a photobook shipped from an individual via Deutsche Post. Covid has not been kind to international shipping, however the fact that you have no real recourse at the present coincides with the fact that they're "working" on getting the package to you. Caveat emptor. It sucks, but you've just got to keep waiting.
12-08-2020, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think a lot of postal services are suffering at present. Certainly, the UK's Royal Mail is under strain due to the combination of seasonal volume and the pandemic. I've a couple of items delayed in transit with them right now - one of which was handed to Royal Mail by the supplier five working days ago, but on Royal Mail's tracking service it shows as "This item is on its way to Royal Mail. The sender has advised they’ve despatched your item to us". Even Amazon is running three days late on a Prime delivery for me. It's frustrating, but can happen with any national or international service at times, and especially near Christmas.

I think you're experiencing and combining two separate problems - the delay in receipt (which, as I say, isn't so unusual right now) and poor customer service - and it's the latter that's the real issue here. I wonder if you have a German contact (perhaps here in the forums) who might be able to talk to them on your behalf in their native language and with a local phone call? I figure that might get this sorted quite easily...
12-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good to know I'm not alone here. However this is my first purchase from Germany. I haven't had any issues with Japan and Russia. I've also read complaints from Deutsche Post going as far back as 2014. 🤷🏽 I haven't experienced any issues with Fedex or Amazon yet either. 🤔

12-08-2020, 12:35 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
brought a rare lens on Ebay from Germany on November 2nd. It's December 8th and I still haven't received my package.
I know it can be frustrating when shipments take a long time to arrive. Did you have a rough date of when to expect delivery? Was the shipping mode specified (e.g., express air, regular surface, etc)?

Postal services around the world -- especially those run by governments -- seem to be criticized often for poor performance. Look at the same 'Trust Pilot' site for USPS: 93% "Bad" (2,600 reviews); Canada Post: 95% Bad (3,390). Australia Post (at Product Review au): 1.7/5 (10,000). It's a wonder that mail moves anywhere at all!

Canada Post started advising clients in early November to order their online items early, and to ship their Christmas gifts well before Christmas this year because they were expecting heavy volumes and reduced staff levels. Still, the mail is flowing fairly well, albeit with relaxed delivery 'guarantees' for their premium services.

No delivery service is foolproof, and a small percentage of items do go missing or get lost. Hopefully your item will arrive in good condition. I assume that the hand-off from Deutsche Post to USPS is as seamless as the one from Canada Post to USPS. However, there may be further delays at the US Customs checkpoint.

You may wish to look at some restrictions for Deutsche Post services: Current information on the coronavirus | Deutsche Post.

Scroll down to FAQs/International. There is a possibility that certain items may be deferred to shipping by ocean freight to the USA (and Canada), owing to severely restricted air transport capacity:

"USA:
At this time, transport capacities to the US are considerably reduced. In light of this, special measures are required in order to maintain mail and parcel service. Please note that effective September 15, 2020, we will ship some products to the US via ocean freight until further notice. As a result, very lengthy transit times of at least 25 to 30 days should be expected. For destinations in the western United States or in remote regions, the transit time may be considerably longer.

Merchandise shipments for private customers:
  • Small packages and parcels without Premium Service will be sent to the US via ocean freight until further notice. From September 15, 2020, franking will only be possible online.
  • DHL Paket International with Premium Service remains available for faster shipping; in this case, items are shipped to the US via air freight. This product can be ordered online and in retail outlets."
I would think that your item could be in a large sea container somewhere, although that doesn't seem to coincide with the tracking report. The reference to Frankfurt suggests the airport sorting facility, so perhaps it's a problem with heavy shipping volumes and limited flight capacity.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-08-2020 at 01:39 PM.
12-09-2020, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The internet loves to rail against things and to magnify any small number of problems into gigantic clusters, but it's rarely the worst-case scenario, it's just 2020
12-09-2020, 01:24 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think a lot of postal services are suffering at present. Certainly, the UK's Royal Mail is under strain due to the combination of seasonal volume and the pandemic. I've a couple of items delayed in transit with them right now - one of which was handed to Royal Mail by the supplier five working days ago, but on Royal Mail's tracking service it shows as "This item is on its way to Royal Mail. The sender has advised they’ve despatched your item to us". <snip>
One item I ordered was 'given a tracking number' by Royal Mail on Nov 30, due to arrive Dec 5. No sign yet. Then again, another two items apparently due to arrive last Friday or Saturday - had e-mails from Ebay regarding both today, telling me they had just been posted ! So - it is not always the fault of the postal service, but one of the many vicissitudes we knew to expect when any public services were taken over by commercial concerns, whose concern appears to be merely making money, not providing the service for which we pay. (This is not intended as any kind of political comment - but may be read that way if you so wish, I can't stop you.)

And why is it that delivery services ALWAYS get surprised when Christmas comes ? Every year, it's the same - 'Items delayed due to volume of packages'. In the Sixties (ah - happy times !) legions of students were employed at peak times to deal with this very situation, but no more. Do Post Office calendars not mention the advent of Christmas any more ?

12-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I know it can be frustrating when shipments take a long time to arrive. Did you have a rough date of when to expect delivery? Was the shipping mode specified (e.g., express air, regular surface, etc)?

Postal services around the world -- especially those run by governments -- seem to be criticized often for poor performance. Look at the same 'Trust Pilot' site for USPS: 93% "Bad" (2,600 reviews); Canada Post: 95% Bad (3,390). Australia Post (at Product Review au): 1.7/5 (10,000). It's a wonder that mail moves anywhere at all!

Canada Post started advising clients in early November to order their online items early, and to ship their Christmas gifts well before Christmas this year because they were expecting heavy volumes and reduced staff levels. Still, the mail is flowing fairly well, albeit with relaxed delivery 'guarantees' for their premium services.

No delivery service is foolproof, and a small percentage of items do go missing or get lost. Hopefully your item will arrive in good condition. I assume that the hand-off from Deutsche Post to USPS is as seamless as the one from Canada Post to USPS. However, there may be further delays at the US Customs checkpoint.

You may wish to look at some restrictions for Deutsche Post services: Current information on the coronavirus | Deutsche Post.

Scroll down to FAQs/International. There is a possibility that certain items may be deferred to shipping by ocean freight to the USA (and Canada), owing to severely restricted air transport capacity:

"USA:
At this time, transport capacities to the US are considerably reduced. In light of this, special measures are required in order to maintain mail and parcel service. Please note that effective September 15, 2020, we will ship some products to the US via ocean freight until further notice. As a result, very lengthy transit times of at least 25 to 30 days should be expected. For destinations in the western United States or in remote regions, the transit time may be considerably longer.

Merchandise shipments for private customers:
  • Small packages and parcels without Premium Service will be sent to the US via ocean freight until further notice. From September 15, 2020, franking will only be possible online.
  • DHL Paket International with Premium Service remains available for faster shipping; in this case, items are shipped to the US via air freight. This product can be ordered online and in retail outlets."
I would think that your item could be in a large sea container somewhere, although that doesn't seem to coincide with the tracking report. The reference to Frankfurt suggests the airport sorting facility, so perhaps it's a problem with heavy shipping volumes and limited flight capacity.

- Craig
Thanks for putting things into a clear perspective. The estimated delivery date was between November 6th and November 25th. 36 Days and still no sign. The shipping the seller chose was standard. I really wanted to use this lens for a Fall shoot. Now, I'll have to wait until sometime next year. I just got a K&F Pro adapter in the mail tonight, and that thing was as cold as ice with condensation. Which concerns me how my lens will arrive. If the seller didn't put any silica packets in the box than it will likely have moisture underneath the optics. Which will really tick me off since this is an ultra rare lens, and a replacement won't be easy to find let alone in mint quality. Another thing that bothers me is that when I reached out to them on social media they read my message, and intentionally ignored it. Continuing on with their foolish selfies added to their story. One of the photos was of a bunch of packages laying outside on the ground in the snow.

Last edited by Prince Harbinger; 12-09-2020 at 08:33 PM.
12-14-2020, 07:31 AM - 2 Likes   #9

This happened on Friday. A package had the state of the art FedEx tracker that shows the delivery truck location on a map of your area. As it got closer during the day, I could see the little icon suddenly pop up on the street around the corner.
Voila! Here it is.
Then I wait 15 minutes. No truck arrives. I then spot it on the FedEx tracker further and further away, as it is makes its rounds. Finally, hours laterin complete darkness a FedEx truck rolls past my house and stops next door.
I go outside and yell at the driver and his helper and repeat my address. The helper walks up and gives me my package. Two minutes later the driver dashes to my door and frantically raps away until I greet him.
He is convinced that he has delivered to the wrong address, and has confused my street with another because both have the same name but mine ends in "Court" and the other is "Lane."
I slow him down before he takes my package and am able to assure him that I am the right place.
Then I remember visiting Canterbury two years ago and my shock when the GPS took me to my hotel on Mill Road. It was completely residential with no cozy room waiting for me. I circled around in a complete daze, as I was still jet lagged and having enough fun with a stick shift in my left hand and a roundabout every half mile.
Turned out that Chaucer strolled down a Mill Road that was now scattered all over Canterbury. There were at least four of them before I stopped counting.
The kippers at my final destination were tasty, though, so it all worked out.

Last edited by EnglishBob; 12-14-2020 at 07:35 AM. Reason: typo
12-20-2020, 08:39 AM   #10

I brought a rare lens on Ebay from Germany on November 2nd. It's December 8th and I still haven't received my package. When checking the tracking status it always says "November 3, 2020, 5:26 am
Processed Through Facility
FRANKFURT/FLUGHAFEN,*GERMANY"

"Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece."

I contacted various numbers, and couldn't get a hold of anyone. When I did eventually get a hold of someone they transferred me to one of their friends that didn't speak English. They ended up hanging up the phone on me. To make matters worse that phone call costed me $111.00.
I tried contacting them on social media and was ignored. The kids that work there seem more preoccupied taking garbage selfies of themselves instead of doing their damn job.

I than looked up the postal service the seller used. I was shocked to see the horrible reviews. Have a look if you like
Deutsche Post Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.deutschepost.de
I have already contacted the seller and he says that I should give it another two weeks. I'm concerned if I ever do get this lens it'll be damaged from mishandling or condensation.
What should I do?
Have a package that has been sitting in Deutsche Post limbo since November 14. Seller told me to give it 10 more business days when I emailed him yesterday. I guess his idea of business days is a tad looser than mine.
12-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
And why is it that delivery services ALWAYS get surprised when Christmas comes ? Every year, it's the same - 'Items delayed due to volume of packages'. In the Sixties (ah - happy times !) legions of students were employed at peak times to deal with this very situation, but no more. Do Post Office calendars not mention the advent of Christmas any more ?
Probably difficult to get a lot of people working in the warehouses with the covid restrictions this year. Lack of funding is probably also part of the issue - infrastructure is expensive and 90% of the year it's not needed (coincidentally, that's why hospitals are getting slapped with the pandemic).
12-20-2020, 09:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EnglishBob Quote
Have a package that has been sitting in Deutsche Post limbo since November 14. Seller told me to give it 10 more business days when I emailed him yesterday. I guess his idea of business days is a tad looser than mine.
Have a look at the children that work there. Look up Deutsche Post on social media. Must be nice to get paid clowning around all day everyday.
12-21-2020, 03:56 AM   #13
dlhawes

...What should I do?
If you paid by credit card, you can have your bank back out the charges due to nondelivery if you complain within 60 days from the date the statement listing that charge was issued (which is day zero towards the sixty days - the first day subsequent to the statement date is day one). Check with the bank that issued the credit card.
12-21-2020, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From my experience, Deutsche Post remains one of the more trustworthy postal services here in Germany, although they make you pay for this. Still, I wouldn't have any issues with them if I ordered online and the seller used their services.
12-21-2020, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I've had only a couple of experiences with Deutsche Post and they've both been reasonably positive - they weren't the fastest but reached me without issue.
I'll absolutely second Sir BigMackCam's comments. I recently sent a parcel out First Class Signed For (24-hour delivery) here in the UK and was surprised it took an entire week.
I asked some friends whether they'd had similar experiences and found that mine is probably the average wait, that some parcels are taking between 11-14 days as First Class consignments.

Hopefully it'll happen sooner rather than later. Not a good impression though by allowing you to rack up a $111 phone call and handling it, by the sound of it, unprofessionally.