Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2021, 03:32 AM   #1831
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
. . . Malaria isn't new. It is endemic in many countries. In 2019 there were apparently around 230 million cases of malaria around the world and over 400,000 deaths from it. I don't know that most Americans care that much unless they visit those countries and have to take anti-malaria medication. . . .
according to a pest control company:

QuoteQuote:
MALARIA IN THE UNITED STATES
Stephanie Richards, PhD, Medical Entomologist

WHAT CAUSES MALARIA?
Mosquitoes in the genus Anopheles are responsible for transmission of the protozoan (single-celled microorganism) that causes malaria. The species of malaria that infect humans include Plasmodium falciparum, Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium ovale. Mosquitoes transmit the protozoan to humans and humans are considered the reservoir (e.g., if a mosquito bites an infected human, the mosquito can potentially become infected and transmit the pathogen to another human), hence traveler-imported cases into the United States can occur. A small number of cases have been reported where transmission has occurred through congenital (mother to child) means and blood transfusion.

WHERE IS MALARIA?
Malaria is a global public health issue, primarily in Africa and Asia. In 2015, approximately 214 million malaria cases were documented worldwide, including 438,000 deaths (90% of cases in sub-Saharan Africa). Malaria has been difficult to control in endemic countries due to a variety of issues, including lack of infrastructure for mosquito surveillance and control programs; however, insecticide-treated bed nets and indoor residual spraying can be used to suppress mosquito populations and protect public health.

Malaria has been difficult to control in endemic countries due to a variety of issues, including lack of infrastructure for mosquito surveillance and control programs. Insecticide-treated bed nets and indoor residual spraying can be used to suppress mosquito populations and protect public health; however, insecticide resistance is of increasing concern.

IS MALARIA A RISK TO RESIDENTS OF THE U.S.?
Widespread local transmission of the malaria protozoan has not been experienced in the U.S. since the 1950s. In the U.S., we currently primarily have traveler-imported malaria cases (approximately 1,500–2,000 malaria cases per year). For comparison, from January 1, 2015–September 28, 2016, the U.S. experienced 3,565 imported cases of Zika. However, periodically, there are locally transmitted (victim did not travel) cases of malaria. From 1957–2015, there were 63 outbreaks of locally transmitted malaria cases in the U.S. that included a traveler-imported case leading to local transmission by mosquitoes in focal areas. Hence, traveler-imported cases remain a concern for malaria. . . .
Does Malaria Exist in the United States? | Terminix

10-08-2021, 04:40 AM   #1832
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As to whether high numbers of malaria deaths would be reported, I actually doubt it. Malaria isn't new. It is endemic in many countries. In 2019 there were apparently around 230 million cases of malaria around the world and over 400,000 deaths from it. I don't know that most Americans care that much unless they visit those countries and have to take anti-malaria medication. It's just somebody else's problem. If it jumped by 50 percent or some such number, it might warrant reporting, but otherwise, I guess not.
Definitely not that many people know about how much of a threat malaria is. A good vaccine against it would certainly be one of the most important inventions of the century.

I know some people who had malaria from P. falciparum and it's really, really not a joke. One of them had it onset in Nepal in the middle of the mountains - he almost didn't make it. Needless to say, there were antipaludic tablets in our suitcase when we went to India.
10-08-2021, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #1833
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
. . . Needless to say, there were antipaludic tablets in our suitcase when we went to India.
when we went to Tanzania, we started on the antimalaria pills before we left and had to continue them for a while after we got back
10-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #1834
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My partner just got a job in the medical field. She is getting jabs frequently. Next up a booster MMR because the mumps part has waned. She past the chicken pox test and doesn't need that one.

Does anyone know if the Chicken Pox vaccine would work for shingles? She had chicken pox as a child so I wonder. Most people who get the chicken pox vaccine would never get chicken pox to have to worry about shingles.I believe the chicken pox vaccine is different from the shingles one.

10-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #1835
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Does anyone know if the Chicken Pox vaccine would work for shingles?
If she had chicken pox then no. You are right that they are two different vaccines.
10-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #1836
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . believe the chicken pox vaccine is different from the shingles one.
here is some information to review:

QuoteQuote:
. . . Shingles
After developing chickenpox, the virus can remain undetected in your spinal nerve roots or near where your spinal cord attaches to your skull.

The virus can remain in your nervous system indefinitely without causing symptoms, but in about 1 in 5 people, the virus becomes reactivated in the form of shingles. It’s possible to develop shingles more than once.

You can’t catch shingles from another person. It’s only possible to develop shingles if you’ve already had chickenpox.. . . .

You can only get shingles if you’ve previously had chickenpox. After a chickenpox infection, the virus stays in your nervous system. If the virus becomes reactive again, it leads to shingles. The first time you’re infected with the virus it leads to chickenpox. . . .

Shingles vaccines
The CDC recommends that healthy adults over the age of 50 get two doses of the shingles vaccine called Shingrix.

Shingrix is more than 90 percent effective at preventing shingles and long-term nerve pain that can be a side-effect of shingles.
Chickenpox vs. Shingles: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-08-2021 at 12:54 PM.
10-08-2021, 01:41 PM   #1837
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-08-2021, 02:37 PM - 2 Likes   #1838
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My partner just got a job in the medical field. She is getting jabs frequently. Next up a booster MMR because the mumps part has waned. She past the chicken pox test and doesn't need that one.

Does anyone know if the Chicken Pox vaccine would work for shingles? She had chicken pox as a child so I wonder. Most people who get the chicken pox vaccine would never get chicken pox to have to worry about shingles.I believe the chicken pox vaccine is different from the shingles one.
Varicella vaccine is a live virus vaccine given to kids. Zostavax was a version of this vaccine that was given to older people. The problem was that it didn't generate much of an immune response and there were a lot of breakthrough shingles cases with it.

Shingrix is a vaccine that uses concentrated proteins to produce an immune response. It is more effective and has more side effects (arm aching, etc).

Shingles is a reactivation of Chicken Pox. Basically, when you get over a chicken pox infection as a child, the virus hides out in the nervous system and if at some point down the road the immune system gets run down, it reactivates along a nerve ending. If you never got Chicken Pox, but instead had the vaccine, you can probably still get Shingles because the vaccine is a live, attenuated vaccine and not a killed one. I would guess the chance is reduced, but that is just a guess.
10-09-2021, 05:07 AM   #1839
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The monkey wrench is that immunity looks quite temporary. Between 3 months for a gentle infection to 5 years if it was severe, 16 months median. That makes the goal of somehow getting herd immunity not much of a thing. Boosters and masks will likely be a way of life for the rest of it. We can at least reduce the numbers and outbreaks to a much more tolerable level.

Big questions are how long does protection from hospitalization/severe last with vaccine? Symptomatic protection declines 2-6 months.
Will it mutate again and get worse, as it did with Delta
Either of those could mean flare ups indefinitely as other nasty diseases have done in the past. For now it will flare up as it just did in the USA indefinitely in the pockets of unvaccinated and effecting some percent of vaccinated as well, though they’ll be protected for now from severe cases. Note my coworker who didn’t die, but it wasn’t pleasant (below) and is vaccinated.

“ Reinfection by SARS-CoV-2 under endemic conditions would likely occur between 3 and 63 months after peak antibody response, with a median of 16 months. This protection is of less than half the duration revealed for the endemic coronaviruses circulating among humans.”

From the lancet last week on a study of durability of immunity.

I go in for round three of Pfizer next week. Still wearing N95’s at work (I work with a ton of soldiers in close quarters, who don’t show symptoms in general when they get it).

I just had a coworker, aged 29 get covid a few weeks back, vaccinated, no comorbidy’s in good health, not overweight etc. Was on oxygen for two weeks and in hospital twice. So best to stay vigilant as it’s not over.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 10-09-2021 at 05:17 AM.
10-09-2021, 05:15 AM   #1840
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Varicella vaccine is a live virus vaccine given to kids. . . .

If you never got Chicken Pox, but instead had the vaccine, you can probably still get Shingles because the vaccine is a live, attenuated vaccine and not a killed one. I would guess the chance is reduced, but that is just a guess.

Talk about a long term possible side effect of getting a vaccine

This is Not an argument in support of the idea of not having children vaccinated against chicken pox

flu season here. Got my shot a month ago

If you haven't

Think about it

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-09-2021 at 05:21 AM.
10-09-2021, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #1841
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
The monkey wrench is that immunity looks quite temporary. Between 3 months for a gentle infection to 5 years if it was severe, 16 months median. That makes the goal of somehow getting herd immunity not much of a thing. Boosters and masks will likely be a way of life for the rest of it. We can at least reduce the numbers and outbreaks to a much more tolerable level.

Big questions are how long does protection from hospitalization/severe last with vaccine? Symptomatic protection declines 2-6 months.
Will it mutate again and get worse, as it did with Delta
Either of those could mean flare ups indefinitely as other nasty diseases have done in the past. For now it will flare up as it just did in the USA indefinitely in the pockets of unvaccinated and effecting some percent of vaccinated as well, though they’ll be protected for now from severe cases. Note my coworker who didn’t die, but it wasn’t pleasant (below) and is vaccinated.

“ Reinfection by SARS-CoV-2 under endemic conditions would likely occur between 3 and 63 months after peak antibody response, with a median of 16 months. This protection is of less than half the duration revealed for the endemic coronaviruses circulating among humans.”

From the lancet last week on a study of durability of immunity.

I go in for round three of Pfizer next week. Still wearing N95’s at work (I work with a ton of soldiers in close quarters, who don’t show symptoms in general when they get it).

I just had a coworker, aged 29 get covid a few weeks back, vaccinated, no comorbidy’s in good health, not overweight etc. Was on oxygen for two weeks and in hospital twice. So best to stay vigilant as it’s not over.
I saw a Danish study earlier that estimated immunity to last about a year after COVID infection -- less for those over 65 and more for those under 65. For people over 65, there was only about 47 percent effectiveness within the calendar 2020 year (this would predate Delta's arrival). DEFINE_ME

I think it is pretty clear that people will either need periodic vaccine boosters or just catch COVID every year or two.

---------- Post added 10-09-21 at 08:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Talk about a long term possible side effect of getting a vaccine

This is Not an argument in support of the idea of not having children vaccinated against chicken pox

flu season here. Got my shot a month ago

If you haven't

Think about it
There is a reduction in amount of Shingles for kids vaccinated against varicella -- this says it drops form 170/100,000 to 37/100,000 kids. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/two-for-one-chickenpox-vaccine-lo...0in%20children
10-09-2021, 05:36 AM   #1842
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . .I think it is pretty clear that people will either need periodic vaccine boosters or just catch COVID every year or two ...
As I understand it the annual " flu " shot is the " best guess " as to which flu " variant " will be active in the oncoming " Flu Season "

At best it prevents infection, at worse it weakens it and you don't get as sick

" best guess ", " prevents ", " weakens "

This is what I foresee with covid if we are lucky

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-09-2021 at 07:31 AM.
10-09-2021, 05:41 AM   #1843
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

If you never got Chicken Pox, but instead had the vaccine, you can probably still get Shingles because the vaccine is a live, attenuated vaccine and not a killed one. I would guess the chance is reduced, but that is just a guess.
An attenuated viruses are killed by the body's immune response to them. In very rare cases they can revert to pathogenic.
Here's a good read on the subject: MODULE 2 ? Live attenuated vaccines (LAV) - WHO Vaccine Safety Basics
10-09-2021, 06:17 AM   #1844
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
An attenuated viruses are killed by the body's immune response to them. In very rare cases they can revert to pathogenic.
Here's a good read on the subject: MODULE 2 ? Live attenuated vaccines (LAV) - WHO Vaccine Safety Basics
Yes. Live attenuated vaccines should not be given to immunocompromised people. Of course, those folks probably shouldn't get the illnesses the viruses are designed to prevent either.
10-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #1845
PDL
Pentaxian

Breaking news in the PNW:
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/despite-wary-labor-un...istered%20User

This is going to be interesting, there will be a lot of rhetoric and gnashing of teeth. (I.E. whinning Remember, this is the place where during the 1918 epidemic if you were walking down the street WITHOUT a mask - the Police arrested you and put you in Jail - Which is NOT where you wanted to be, a crowded, semi-sanitary, close quartered facility)
Closed Thread