Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2021, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #1861
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So today at The Big Shed the hot topic of discussion is all those who aren’t going to get vaccinated whining about how “they” can’t force us to get a shot.

So many shortsighted people who care only about themselves and not a bit about humanity as a whole.

Gonna get real quiet here after December 8.
The big failing in the US is failure to explain to the selfish that we are in this together - my health depends on not being infected by my neighbor ….. and his health depends on not being infected by me.

added: I just watched Shatner’s trip to space. It succeeded not because of the rugged individualism of the characters he played {he was an American actor}, but because of the team behind him.

Last edited by reh321; 10-13-2021 at 09:33 AM.
10-13-2021, 10:45 AM - 2 Likes   #1862
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The big failing in the US is failure to explain to the selfish that we are in this together - my health depends on not being infected by my neighbor ….. and his health depends on not being infected by me.

added: I just watched Shatner’s trip to space. It succeeded not because of the rugged individualism of the characters he played {he was an American actor}, but because of the team behind him.
The problem is with the people being told we are all in this together not listening because they have been brainwashed to a great degree to take a dogmatic knee jerk response to anything not coming from one particular mouthpiece and to disregard, often violently, anything coming from "the other side".

As an aside, William Shatner is Canadian.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 10-13-2021 at 01:17 PM.
10-13-2021, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #1863
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So today at The Big Shed the hot topic of discussion is all those who aren’t going to get vaccinated whining about how “they” can’t force us to get a shot.

So many shortsighted people who care only about themselves and not a bit about humanity as a whole.

Gonna get real quiet here after December 8.
A lot of big employers with a mandate have reported 97-98% vaccination rate by the deadline. I think some of the complainers are thinking "they can't fire us all", but two or three percent is not big gamble for Boeing. It is not like they are all going to work for Airbus.
10-13-2021, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #1864
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It is not like they are all going to work for Airbus.
Unless they want to move to Alabama, and work for half the pay without union bargained wages, benefits and working conditions.

10-13-2021, 12:44 PM   #1865
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
As an aside, William Shatner is Canadian.
And the oldest person to ever go into space.
10-13-2021, 01:18 PM   #1866
Loyal Site Supporter

And the oldest person to ever go into space.
And good for him.
10-13-2021, 01:43 PM   #1867
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

both suborbital " flights "

William Shaftner

QuoteQuote:
65.8 miles up . . . ,
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/william-shatner-blue-origin-space-flight/

Alan Shepard 125 miles above the earth

Trajectory of Alan Shepard's Historic Flight | NASA

does the term " astronaut apply "

that depends:

QuoteQuote:
The term "astronaut" derives from the Greek words meaning "space sailor," and refers to all who have been launched as crew members aboard NASA spacecraft bound for orbit and beyond. The term "astronaut" has been maintained as the title for those selected to join the NASA corps of astronauts who make "space sailing" their career profession.
https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts

QuoteQuote:
An astronaut (from the Greek "astron" (ἄστρον), meaning "star", and "nautes" (ναύτης), meaning "sailor") is a person trained, equipped, and deployed by a human spaceflight program to serve as a commander or crew member aboard a spacecraft. Although generally reserved for professional space travelers, the terms are sometimes applied to anyone who travels into space, including scientists, politicians, journalists and tourists. . . .

Until 2002, astronauts were sponsored and trained exclusively by governments, either by the military or by civilian space agencies. With the suborbital flight of the privately funded SpaceShipOne in 2004, a new category of astronaut was created: the commercial astronaut. . . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronaut

QuoteQuote:
Definition of astronaut
: a person who travels beyond the earth's atmosphere
Astronaut | Definition of Astronaut by Merriam-Webster

QuoteQuote:
. . . so-called Kármán line. This boundary sits some 62 miles (100 kilometers) above Earth's surface, and it's generally accepted as the place where Earth ends and outer space begins.. . .

people who fly above an altitude of 60 miles (100 km) typically earn astronaut wings from the Federal Aviation Administration. Even the Ansari X-prize chose the Kármán line as the benchmark height required to win its $10 million prize, which was claimed when Burt Rutan’s SpaceShipOne became the first privately-built spacecraft to carry a crew back in 2004 . . . .
https://astronomy.com/news/2021/03/the-krmn-line-where-does-space-begin

perhaps " freight " or " cargo " might be accurate for some seeing how they have no training for the trip ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-13-2021 at 01:59 PM.
10-13-2021, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #1868
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Technically he did surpass the 100km standard as to where space begins. He also got a lot closer to it than most of us ever will.

One has to wonder what he saw when he looked out the window.

For me I think Denny Crane was his best role.
10-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #1869
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Technically he did surpass the 100km standard as to where space begins. He also got a lot closer to it than most of us ever will. . . .
My question isn't limited to Shatner

And I didn't come to a conclusion either
10-13-2021, 02:10 PM - 6 Likes   #1870
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope he didn't see a monster out on the wing...

Chris
10-13-2021, 02:14 PM - 3 Likes   #1871
Pentaxian

A recent thread asked for times when you regretted not having your camera with you. Going into space would definitely qualify

10-13-2021, 02:21 PM   #1872
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
That’s going back a bit, eh?
10-13-2021, 03:03 PM   #1873
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

That’s going back a bit, eh?
more than 58 years

[ no I didn't see the original broadcast ]

QuoteQuote:
"Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" is episode 123 of the American television anthology series The Twilight Zone, based on the short story of the same name by Richard Matheson, first published in Alone by Night (1961). It originally aired on October 11, 1963 and is one of the most well-known and frequently referenced episodes of the series. The story follows the only passenger on an airline flight to notice a hideous creature wandering around the wing of the plane while it is in flight. . . .

It originally aired on October 11, 1963. . .

William Shatner as Robert "Bob" Wilson. . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare_at_20,000_Feet#Cast

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-13-2021 at 03:36 PM.
10-13-2021, 06:43 PM   #1874
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
When Tim Allen gets the call there will be insects.
10-14-2021, 02:45 AM - 2 Likes   #1875
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
my first knowledge about large protests against vaccination against disease came from the protests in California against mandatory Measles vaccinations

this article is from that period but gives a history of protests against vaccination -

https://www.oah.org/tah/issues/2015/august/vaccination-resistance/
I really think that people's medical decisions are done on a personal level. What I mean is that many people's perception of a disease's severity has more to do with the experience of their close friends and family members than it does with media reports. When childhood diseases were ubiquitous, people knew how bad you felt when you had measles and mumps and maybe even knew a child who had had to spend time in the hospital because of a severe case of one of those. Now, because of vaccines, few people know someone who even had measles and so it doesn't feel as crucial to get your child vaccinated against it.

COVID is the prime example in that many people did have mild cases -- particularly with the alpha strain -- and so if someone's experience is that "COVID isn't that bad" then it is easy to believe that this is all just a media construct designed to push some agenda and take away personal liberty.

On the other side, there are too many people (even doctors) who enable this sort of behavior by telling people that they don't need vaccines, because with the write medications and supplements they will sail through all of these illnesses without problem. Joseph Mercola has turned this into a hundred million dollar empire and plenty of others are doing the same.
Closed Thread