Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2021, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #2251
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Going crazy is ok, but try to ignore the facebook/youtube crazies. Most of them are really insane!
2 weeks ago on Instagram, I post a photo with people wearing mask visible in the photo, so I mentioned about COVID situation in Tokyo because it gets a lot better thanks to the mask and vaccine. Then you know what happens next? Instagram or better say Facebook's algorithm suggest me with photos from anti-vaccine and covid denial people for week. The latest one was last night. I sent them another feedback's report asking them (again) to stop recommend me with this stupid anti-vaccine posts.
FB make everything they touch so toxic.
I don't get it what kind of logic they use in their so call Artificial "Intelligence" to determine this kind of suggestion. I post, vaccine work, mask is good, Their AI recommend me the total opposite in return.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 11-22-2021 at 09:42 PM.
11-23-2021, 02:30 AM   #2252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I don't get it what kind of logic they use in their so call Artificial "Intelligence" to determine this kind of suggestion.
I call the Potstirrer Algorithm. It's tuned for maximum contrarianism - because if it shows you stuff that pisses you off, you will be more likely to comment on the content - so more engagement, which means more traffic, which in turn leads to both more add revenue, and a thicker datastream to draw information from.

It's by design. FB (now Meta©®™ because when everyone hates you, rebrand and hope people have goldfish memories) has been slammed recently because they *knew* their IG algorithms were directly responsible for messing up the self-esteem of girls due to the toxicity in the content shown to them. They *knew* FB was driving wedges between users with their algorithm for sorting political and pandemic content. They still went ahead, because money talks very loud.

I only open their things in a sandboxed tab of my browser. I also basically don't interact with posts that I haven't chosen to see on my feed. Luckily, the computer version of IG basically has no "additional" content in the feed. Zuckerberg gets as little of my data as I possibly can give.
11-23-2021, 02:53 AM   #2253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Algorithms are based on what you are most likely to react to, not on what you may like.

@serkevan - data for FB and Google (and Bing, Baidu and whoever wants) are gathered without need to visit their pages or services. Most webpages has some sort of plugin, observer etc that sends data to other companies. PF too.

I do not use FB or IG. I don't even have an account there. Google and YT too, though I do have account - required for my phone I do not read news there, I rather visit polish news services (from both sides of political barricade) and some services from other countries liky NYT, RT, AlJazeera, Guardian and so on. Technical and scientific publication same.
11-23-2021, 02:59 AM   #2254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Algorithms are based on what you are most likely to react to, not on what you may like.

@serkevan - data for FB and Google (and Bing, Baidu and whoever wants) are gathered without need to visit their pages or services. Most webpages has some sort of plugin, observer etc that sends data to other companies. PF too.

I do not use FB or IG. I don't even have an account there. Google and YT too, though I do have account - required for my phone I do not read news there, I rather visit polish news services (from both sides of political barricade) and some services from other countries liky NYT, RT, AlJazeera, Guardian and so on. Technical and scientific publication same.
And that is why I have noscript and tracker blockers. I know the algorithm isn't working particularly well on me because I get basically nothing that catches my eye . They might still be able to get traffic data at large, but big data is a completely different story. For news I also go directly to different online publications - I'm quite partial to the Guardian for international news, their reporting looks consistently solid.

11-23-2021, 03:28 AM   #2255
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I call the Potstirrer Algorithm. It's tuned for maximum contrarianism - because if it shows you stuff that pisses you off, you will be more likely to comment on the content - so more engagement, which means more traffic, which in turn leads to both more add revenue, and a thicker datastream to draw information from.

It's by design. FB (now Meta©®™ because when everyone hates you,...
Yeah, it's "Meta" now.
When things online get dicey, internet trolls know exactly what to do. Change user name!

I stop using FB and Twitter many years ago but still use Instagram mainly for photography. Meet a lot of good people from IG over the years. But every once in a while something like this happens which is annoying. Need a few blocking and avoid using some tags when posting the next photo. Sometimes I wish Facebook had never brought Instagram.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 11-23-2021 at 03:38 AM.
11-23-2021, 05:53 AM   #2256
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

According to the CDC

Over 440 million doses of vaccines for covid 19 administered in the US, just 0.0022 % have resulted in reports of deaths
11-23-2021, 07:19 AM   #2257
Pentaxian

I've put on hold my plans to go back to Scotland and see my family in spring. I haven't been back in two years but with rising cases here in Europe I don't want to risk cancellation, pricey tests for the whole family or having to isolate.

11-23-2021, 12:53 PM - 3 Likes   #2258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
According to the CDC

Over 440 million doses of vaccines for covid 19 administered in the US, just 0.0022 % have resulted in reports of deaths
It would be interesting to know how many of those were caused by the vaccine. If people can say that dying with Covid is not dying of Covid, dying after the vaccine also doesn't have to be dying of the vaccine, no?

Or do I give too much credit by expecting the same treatment for both events?

In fact, the CDC's graph for the VAERS is very interesting:

Notice that the deaths fall dramatically while vaccination doses continue much more steadily. Almost like deaths fall as the population's vaccinated percentages rises.
Almost like the deaths are, overwhelmingly, deaths from Covid that happen too fast after the jab for the immunization to take effect, not deaths from the vaccine.
Truly an astonishing revelation.

Last edited by Serkevan; 11-23-2021 at 12:59 PM.
11-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #2259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And in Spain the hospitals were almost putting patients on top of another because of lack of beds for all the people busy with their lungs collapsing from (clearly) not-covid. Must have been something else that blasts lungs. ...
Someone in western Colorado "explained" that their hospitals aren't over-capacity, they are just understaffed. Sure, the statement doesn't bear up to any consideration or logic, but I think the excuse supply situation is critical at the moment (absolutely not due to covid).
11-23-2021, 02:22 PM - 3 Likes   #2260
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

VAERS is very interesting
VAERS is very badly understood and often very badly misrepresented by anti vaxers.

It is very simply a database of people with a medical issue who also had a vaccine. You could do a similar database of people who had a medical issue after going to the football, it would not mean the football caused the issue.

It is NOT a record of people who had a medical issue caused by a vaccine although some issues may have been.

VAERS is there to see IF there is any correlation between a medical issue and the vaccine. For example if a large number of people had their teeth fall out it would be investigated as to if the vaccine caused this.
11-23-2021, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #2261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yesterday (in Scotland) I had both the flu vaccine and the Pfizer booster, so am now sorted for avoiding the worst effects of the pfu. No after-effects to report.
11-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #2262
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

VAERS is very badly understood and often very badly misrepresented by anti vaxers.

It is very simply a database of people with a medical issue who also had a vaccine. You could do a similar database of people who had a medical issue after going to the football, it would not mean the football caused the issue.

It is NOT a record of people who had a medical issue caused by a vaccine although some issues may have been.

VAERS is there to see IF there is any correlation between a medical issue and the vaccine. For example if a large number of people had their teeth fall out it would be investigated as to if the vaccine caused this.
Yep, exactly. I posted mostly because, to me, the entire thing looks fairly clear. Correlation does not equal causation and all that.
11-23-2021, 02:42 PM   #2263
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, exactly
The problem is that that chart seems to come from an anti-vax site pretending to be a VAERS related site so while the number of death may be correct the cause of those deaths is misrepresented.
11-23-2021, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #2264
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem is that that chart seems to come from an anti-vax site pretending to be a VAERS related site so while the number of death may be correct the cause of those deaths is misrepresented.
AFAIK, the VAERS only notes the deaths happening after the vaccine - so the cause of death is of course not "vaccine". It's just that even using the chart from an unrelated, possibly biased site, it's self-evident that the vaccine is safe.

I can try to find a more official graph, but at this point it feels like antivaxxers are impervious to logic, and I frankly can't fathom how much one would have to torture the data to come to such a twisted conclusion.
11-23-2021, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #2265
Inactive Account

As far as I know, many countries still using taxes money to fund the hospital bills for the unvaccinated. I think this one from Singapore is making sense.
Singapore will stop paying the medical bills of unvaccinated COVID-19 patients : Coronavirus Updates : NPR

If they have no shame going to a hospital once get COVID, they should be responsible for their own decision and pay for the bill themselves.
Closed Thread