Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2021, 11:54 PM - 3 Likes   #2281
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,776
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I see the world is at 5,150,000 deaths.

To put that in perspective, here's a graphic.

That's 11,000 747 airplanes full of people.

If you parked all those 747s nose to tail, that will be a line of airplanes from New York City to Toledo.
747s eh?

Now that's something I can relate to.

11-25-2021, 12:26 AM - 3 Likes   #2282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,133
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I see the world is at 5,150,000 deaths.

To put that in perspective, here's a graphic.

That's 11,000 747 airplanes full of people.

If you parked all those 747s nose to tail, that will be a line of airplanes from New York City to Toledo.
Now, some people* will say that’s proof it’s a hoax, because there were only 1,556 747s made.

*One of my relatives used to say that we shouldn’t mock the afflicted, but this sort of twisted logic is being deployed daily, so I’m happy to make an exception for them.
11-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #2283
Pentaxian
swanlefitte's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Minneapolis
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,650
Looks like a new variant might out compete delta.
Covid-19 “super variant” surging in Gauteng ? may be all over South Africa

Dubbed B.1.1.529, Imperial College London virologist Tom Peacock highlighted that the new variant contains a high number of mutations, including more than 30 in the spike protein.

“Probably by tomorrow, we will have one of the greek variant names to help us use the terminology,” said Richard Lessells, doctor of Infectious Diseases and HIV/TB researcher at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
11-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #2284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,148
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Looks like a new variant might out compete delta.
Covid-19 “super variant” surging in Gauteng ? may be all over South Africa

Dubbed B.1.1.529, Imperial College London virologist Tom Peacock highlighted that the new variant contains a high number of mutations, including more than 30 in the spike protein.

“Probably by tomorrow, we will have one of the greek variant names to help us use the terminology,” said Richard Lessells, doctor of Infectious Diseases and HIV/TB researcher at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
Mutations in the spike protein might be an issue with the vaccine formulation. It's like this just doesn't want to end.

11-25-2021, 03:20 PM - 3 Likes   #2285
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,951
I had my third Pfizer shot on Monday, seven months after my second. It hit me a little harder than the first two; I got a little tired walking the dog the next morning, and had mild core muscular aches for two days. I was glad to have organised Tuesday off work. All good now.

Timing could not have been better; it came the day before South Australia drastically decreased our border restrictions. We even have an interstate guest staying with us at the moment; she is, of course, fully vaccinated and had a negative PCR test on arrival. What's more, two more guest will arrive from Melbourne tomorrow!
11-25-2021, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #2286
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,333
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
two more guest will arrive from Melbourne tomorrow!
Doomed, Doomed
11-25-2021, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #2287
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 15,197
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
two more guest[s] will arrive from Melbourne tomorrow!
"Guests" = "Vectors".

What a sight that will be, you all watching Netflix in the living room, the guests relaxing in pyjamas, your family in NBC suits.

11-25-2021, 06:13 PM   #2288
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 1,204
Another reason to get the vaccine.
New Covid Variant in South Africa Causes a "Serious Concern" - Bloomberg
Read the news in the morning and see the senseless or better say panic selloff in the Tokyo market give me a real headache.
11-26-2021, 02:45 AM   #2289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,148
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
What a sight that will be, you all watching Netflix in the living room, the guests relaxing in pyjamas, your family in NBC suits.
Someone needs to make an exhibit with such photographs, now that you mention it. Portraits of the everyday life and all that...
11-26-2021, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #2290
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 24,286
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Mutations in the spike protein might be an issue with the vaccine formulation. It's like this just doesn't want to end.
It's clear that it won't "end." I think the hope would be that between naturally acquired immunity, anti-virals, and vaccinations, we will have a situation where COVID is more flu-like -- something that makes people sick but doesn't typically kill them.

Influenza does cause 20 to 30 thousand deaths a year in the United States, sometimes more. We don't get too worked up over it. I think the hope is that COVID eventually gets to the same place.
11-26-2021, 03:45 AM   #2291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,148
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It's clear that it won't "end." I think the hope would be that between naturally acquired immunity, anti-virals, and vaccinations, we will have a situation where COVID is more flu-like -- something that makes people sick but doesn't typically kill them.

Influenza does cause 20 to 30 thousand deaths a year in the United States, sometimes more. We don't get too worked up over it. I think the hope is that COVID eventually gets to the same place.
Yeah, I meant more that the "still very dangerous to remove restrictions" situation will be ongoing for a while longer. If we replace the flu with covid but the total death toll is similar, well, at this point I'll take that.
11-26-2021, 04:10 AM   #2292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: 3City agglomeration
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 767
In Poland there are literally NO restrictions, almost like in Sweden. There is only social distancing and wearing masks in public closed spaces (like shops). And even those are not really enforced (Police is mostly ignoring people who are not following those). People are not dying like crazy, there is no armageddon or anything like this. Heck, there are less people dying here then in 3x smaller Czech Republic or in Germany with all the lockdowns and passports. Everyone* here agrees that all lockdowns do is destroying social bonds in society and endangering economy. There are no medical gains. Masks and washing hands will do more then covid passports.

Last edited by Parallax; 11-26-2021 at 10:33 AM. Reason: political comment removed
11-26-2021, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #2293
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 24,286
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Yeah, I meant more that the "still very dangerous to remove restrictions" situation will be ongoing for a while longer. If we replace the flu with covid but the total death toll is similar, well, at this point I'll take that.
What I wish is that people would be willing to do common sense things. Wear masks when levels in a community are higher or if you are around a large group of people. Be willing to get tested for mild symptoms and isolate for those. Get vaccinated.

I think Asian countries have handled it much better because they were willing to follow guidance on many of these things, where other countries saw it as stealing their liberties.

The challenge with COVID is clearly the fact that people shed virus for a couple of days before the onset of symptoms. In this scenario, you can't just say, "Wear a mask and/or stay home if you don't feel good." On the other hand, people need to be able to get together with their families and spend time doing social activities.
11-26-2021, 05:23 AM - 2 Likes   #2294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,133
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What I wish is that people would be willing to do common sense things. Wear masks when levels in a community are higher or if you are around a large group of people. Be willing to get tested for mild symptoms and isolate for those. Get vaccinated.

I think Asian countries have handled it much better because they were willing to follow guidance on many of these things, where other countries saw it as stealing their liberties.

The challenge with COVID is clearly the fact that people shed virus for a couple of days before the onset of symptoms. In this scenario, you can't just say, "Wear a mask and/or stay home if you don't feel good." On the other hand, people need to be able to get together with their families and spend time doing social activities.
I think many Asian countries retain a culture of the common or greater good. We used to have that in Western countries, but affluence, social fragmentation and a false sense of invulnerability (or perhaps just a dulled perspective on life) have led us to largely abandon it, except in times of great emergency. Too many people have been convinced that the present situation doesn’t fit that description.
11-26-2021, 05:33 AM - 2 Likes   #2295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,148
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Heck, there are less people dying here then in 3x smaller Czech Republic or in Germany with all the lockdowns and passports.
Huh. And here I was thinking that Germany has ~5k more deaths than Poland (87k vs 82k) while being a touch over twice the population (84M vs 38M). We must be looking at different numbers, because if Poland were to have the population of Germany deaths would be at about 180k - that's double the death!

Not to mention that the median age in Germany is 48 years old, while in Poland it is 41 - the German population is significantly more vulnerable. One could argue that the quality of healthcare is massively different and that compensates. But, considering that the places in Germany where the lockdowns and measures are scoffed at (which, unsurprisingly, are also the areas where people are less vaccinated) actually have much higher deaths, I'm gonna have to go with "measures work".
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, care, cloud, countries, covid, disease, dose, effects, google, half, health, holes, interpretation, patients, people, percent, post, rate, risk, shot, strategy, system, term, test, translation, travel, vaccine, virus, web, wife
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Well I Got Surprised Today mhsp1948 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 07-25-2020 07:55 AM
I got myself a complete kit of a Pentax SLR with lenses today (Auto 110) MrKodak Pentax Film SLR Discussion 19 05-08-2019 10:08 PM
I got one - I got one - I got one (K1M2) rcolman Pentax K-1 & K-1 II 8 04-08-2018 09:34 AM
I got a sideswipe from a Pro today... Neville Photographic Technique 65 09-29-2015 07:52 AM
It isn't a Pentax, but I got another film camera today. little laker Non-Pentax: Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. 5 01-13-2010 11:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:15 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top