Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2021, 04:56 PM   #2386
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It makes sense to look at the evidence and see whether the bulk of evidence suggests that Omicron produces milder symptoms or not. At this (early) stage, it looks like it produces milder symptoms. It also looks like it's more transmissible. But, more research and data is needed to confirm those initial ideas.

I don't think there's any sense in treating it as "more deadly" as yet, just like there's no sense in treating it as "less deadly" as yet.

At this stage, it seems that 90% or more Covid infections in parts of South Africa are with the Omicron variant and there's a big spike in infection numbers but no resultant spike in hospitalizations and deaths. That seems to indicate mild infection with this variant.

11-30-2021, 05:10 PM   #2387
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, interestingly, Omicron was spreading in Europe before it was found in South Africa. It will be interesting to see if it displaces Delta as the dominant variant in Europe.
11-30-2021, 05:21 PM   #2388
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Also, interestingly, Omicron was spreading in Europe before it was found in South Africa. It will be interesting to see if it displaces Delta as the dominant variant in Europe.
this is what I have found about that

QuoteQuote:
The new Covid-19 variant, Omicron, was present in the Netherlands earlier than previously thought, officials say.

It was identified in two test samples taken in the country between 19 and 23 November, which is before the variant was first reported by South Africa.

It is not clear whether those who took the tests had visited southern Africa. . . .
Covid: Omicron variant in Netherlands earlier than thought - BBC News

and a warning

QuoteQuote:
Covid: WHO urges those at risk from disease to delay travel if not fully vaccinated

The World Health Organization has said people who are unwell or vulnerable should delay travel to Covid hotspots if they are not completely vaccinated.

In its latest travel advisory, the UN agency includes in that category people over 60, and those with conditions like heart disease, cancer and diabetes. . . .
Covid: WHO urges those at risk from disease to delay travel if not fully vaccinated - BBC News
11-30-2021, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #2389
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It will be interesting to see if it displaces Delta as the dominant variant in Europe.
I think that will be up to the media.

11-30-2021, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #2390
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gotta give it to them - This is quite a brilliant idea!

Vienna brothel offers free entry to those willing to get Covid-19 jab on-site
11-30-2021, 07:34 PM - 2 Likes   #2391
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I caught a cold. Started on Saturday evening, in my sinuses, last evening it moved into my chest.

But hey, I tested negative for Covid last Friday.
11-30-2021, 08:09 PM - 2 Likes   #2392
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I caught a cold. Started on Saturday evening, in my sinuses, last evening it moved into my chest.

But hey, I tested negative for Covid last Friday.
My son, DIL, and and my two grandchildren were here for Thanksgiving. My granddaughter turned 5 while they were here. My grandson, a ten month old Petri dish, had a cold, (or flu, plague, croup, denque fever, whoknowswhat). I'm just waiting for symptoms to appear.

12-01-2021, 12:00 AM   #2393
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
We have to wait and see what happens in Austria once it becomes compulsory.
In Austria a month in jail if you refuse. At least that is how plans looks like.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 12-01-2021 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Removed distasteful reference.
12-01-2021, 12:17 AM   #2394
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
In Austria a month in jail if you refuse. At least that is how plans looks like.
Where did you see that? This link just talks about fines.
https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/short_news/austria-considers-e7200...-unvaccinated/

Last edited by MarkJerling; 12-01-2021 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Edited quote.
12-01-2021, 01:01 AM   #2395
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today polish newspaper.
12-01-2021, 01:14 AM   #2396
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Interesting idea.
BBC News - Covid: Greece to fine over-60s who refuse Covid-19 vaccine
Covid: Greece to fine over-60s who refuse Covid-19 vaccine - BBC News
Every country should be doing this by this point in time, in combinations with banning the unvaccinated from public buildings, public transport, cinemas, theatres, restaurants etc. Basically any place that people congregate.

In the last couple of weeks here in Spain, people who had previously not gotten the vaccine have come forward due to an increased threat of a disrupted christmas period and various regions introducing vaccine passport schemes for access to restaurants etc. All the pressure that can be applied should be, anything else is irresponsible .

On a separate note, given that the spike protein is both the target of the vaccine and the virus's key to getting into cells, it will be interesting to see if the mutations it needs to evade the vaccine also impact it's ability to infect.
12-01-2021, 01:40 AM   #2397
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
wow! But I guess, the hardcore one might be willing to be jailed? I'm just guessing, I can not really understand what the vaccine hesitancy people are thinking anyway. IMO, their action or better say lack of action are the whole reason for hospital overloaded, multiple lockdown, late reopening, economic damage, etc
Anyway, hope people grow up and think more for the society they are living in. Nobody wants this virus. In a normal time, nobody wants to wear a mask and get vaccine, but it's not hard to understand we are not in a normal time. We all see what happened last winter.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 12-01-2021 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Removed part of quote.
12-01-2021, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #2398
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have our work Christmas function next week. With almost all restaurants now requiring proof of vaccination there are a few people in our office who will not be going to the Christmas function, venues have been booked long before the latest rules came out. On the one hand I feel sorry that they won't be able to join us, on the other, I feel choices have consequences. Still, tough one.
12-01-2021, 03:29 AM   #2399
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

according to today's Washington Post web site

QuoteQuote:
3:43 AM: Where the omicron variant has been detected around the world

Nigeria, Saudi Arabia and Brazil are among the latest nations to confirm cases of the omicron coronavirus variant.

Here’s where else around the globe cases have been reported, so far:

North America - Canada

South America - Brazil

Europe - Austria, Belgium, Denmark, England, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, Switzerland (suspected cases)
Czech Republic (suspected cases)

Africa- Nigeria, Botswana, South Africa, Reunion Island (France)

Middle East- Saudi Arabia, Israel

Asia and the Pacific- Australia, Japan, South Korea (suspected cases)

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-01-2021 at 03:38 AM.
12-01-2021, 03:52 AM   #2400
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All that article says is that "sometimes" viruses mutate to be more deadly. Mostly, however, viruses become less deadly. We only need to look at something like Ebola which is super deadly and kills between 6 and 16 days after infection (usually). That's one of the reasons why Ebola has seldom managed to infect that many people. It's too good at killing. Then, on the other hand we have common cold viruses which are often corona viruses. Very good at replicating and spreading from person to person but seldom deadly. It's highly likely that Covid will, in due course, be just another common cold. Of course, it's early days (in terms of the evolution / mutation of a virus) and time will tell.
I'm not sure why COVID would need to become less deadly over time. The big things for a virus to continue are that it doesn't kill its host immediately (COVID probably kills around a half percent of people who get it and never immediately), that it is contagious enough that the host gives it to other people (this is where we have seen mutations make COVID quite a bit more infective), and that immunity to it wanes (COVID seems to be able to come back around for people every 12 months or so).

There are lots of viruses that have never changed to become less deadly -- polio, small pox, and viral hepatitis come to mind.

All pandemics come to an end, but typically they come to an end when the majority of people who are susceptible to an illness finally get over it and that can take multiple waves and years of time. The Antonine Plague took 15 years to burn itself out in the Roman Empire (AD 165-180) and the Plague of Cyprian lasted for 13 years (AD 249-262). The Bubonic Plague lasted from 1346 to 1353. I think the thing is with modern medical technology we can temper how severe an illness and come up with vaccinations for prevention and anti-viral agents for treating it. A couple of years seems like a long time, but in terms of pandemics, this one has actually been relatively mild -- primarily because of the different tools that have been brought to bear on it.
Closed Thread