Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2021, 04:47 AM   #2431
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
They skipped 4 characters from Alpha to Delta.
No, they didn't. There are Beta and Gamma variants.

12-02-2021, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #2432
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
They skipped 4 characters from Alpha to Delta.

Wonder why they skipped from Delta to Omicron? That's 10 characters. Are they thinking there won't be many more mutations?
They did not (well, they did skip Nu and Xi, for obvious reasons) - it's just that Beta and Gamma were quite minor compared to Delta: the WHO has a list of all the previously considered Variants of Concern (VoC) here: Tracking SARS-CoV-2 variants

At the top (current VoCs) one can see Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta and Omicron. Delta was (and is) so problematic that it has eclipsed all the subsequent variants in terms of epidemiology1, Omicron is under monitoring now.

1: Under "Variants of Interest", we have Mu and Lambda. Then we have "Variants under monitoring", down in the page, where one can see Kappa (B.1.617.1), Iota (B.1.526) and Eta (B.1.525), while "Formerly monitored variants" lists Epsilon, Zeta and Theta.
12-02-2021, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #2433
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
1: Under "Variants of Interest", we have Mu and Lambda. Then we have "Variants under monitoring", down in the page, where one can see Kappa (B.1.617.1), Iota (B.1.526) and Eta (B.1.525), while "Formerly monitored variants" lists Epsilon, Zeta and Theta.
To paraphrase Shakespeare, "It's all Greek to me".
12-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #2434
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A report of another positive Omicron test of an individual in Minnesota with travel history of NYC

12-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #2435
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
As far as I know, many countries still using taxes money to fund the hospital bills for the unvaccinated. I think this one from Singapore is making sense.
Singapore will stop paying the medical bills of unvaccinated COVID-19 patients : Coronavirus Updates : NPR

If they have no shame going to a hospital once get COVID, they should be responsible for their own decision and pay for the bill themselves.
There is starting to be some talk of that here with our government funded health care. In a nutshell, the vaccinated are getting tired of paying to treat those who choose to not get vaccinated.
On the one hand I agree, but on the other hand, it is the start of a slippery slope that i would prefer we don't start sliding down.

---------- Post added Dec 2nd, 2021 at 10:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It's easy enough to look at this Poland's deaths per million are 2,186 and Germany's deaths per million are 1,198. COVID Live Update: 260,494,723 Cases and 5,202,916 Deaths from the Coronavirus - Worldometer

Obviously all of this is multi-factorial, but I think it is clear that restrictions and masks reduce spread of COVID.
It's also clear that some of the people who post to this thread have an agenda...

---------- Post added Dec 2nd, 2021 at 10:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
A fast spreading mild virus could be good news I suppose.
It beats the heck out of it mutating into something more like Ebola.
12-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #2436
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
There is starting to be some talk of that here with our government funded health care. In a nutshell, the vaccinated are getting tired of paying to treat those who choose to not get vaccinated.
On the one hand I agree, but on the other hand, it is the start of a slippery slope that i would prefer we don't start sliding down.
I've heard talk of that as well but never fully looked into it but it would definitely be a push down the slippery slope.
12-02-2021, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #2437
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Given the history of many viruses (including the human response) that may well be the case. So far, this one has not followed the path of slow atrophy over several variants, but it may pan out that way, eventually (the Omicron variant has proven more transmissible but early suggestions are that it is less deadly). The common scientific wisdom is that a virus needs a host to survive, so killing the host isn't a good idea (not that a virus can have ideas). Nonetheless, there are now many more hosts available on the planet than previously, so that doesn't necessarily follow, at least not immediately, or even in the foreseeable future.
The virus wants a host for long enough to replicate and move on. If that host dies a couple of weeks later, so what? The host has done his/her/their/whatever/ job by providing the raw materials for replication and infection. If viri were able to give what they do any thought, that would be what their thoughts would be.

---------- Post added Dec 2nd, 2021 at 10:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I do not read or listen to the news... While it is a bad idea to get advise from the web, I trust the people of this forum for this specific Question:

Are they saying that new boosters might be done to try and treat the new variants? I am likely due for a booster with Pfizer, but I do not know if it be wise to wait... (2nd dosed on April 3, 2021)
If your second dose was in April, you should be about due for a booster. My understanding is that immunity starts to wane after about 6 months. It will be a few months at least before an updated vaccine geared towards Omicron will be available, and meanwhile, Delta is still floating around.
I'm not seeing any downsides to getting booster shots against this disease, but I am seeing significant downsides to catching it.

12-02-2021, 10:09 AM   #2438
Pentaxian

The most recent table of new deaths in a day must have some correlation with vaccination take up.

12-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #2439
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Just so we’re also clear, I don’t drink and understand all too well the problem of alcohol abuse and the numbers dying each year because of it. I don’t quite see your point though, we can do things to reduce the transmission of Covid and we should do things because the death toll from the disease in your country and mine in just 20 months is appalling. What your government decides to do is your business and your government’s. (equally, I wouldn’t expect you to tell me what the UK should do)

However, while agonising over relative death rates attributable to other important causes, people are still catching and suffering from Covid. I recommend reading the history of the great flu pandemic of 1919 in your own country to see the difference between how cities and states dealt with that, or didn’t, and what the outcomes were. It’s sobering. How well history judges us and this time is not yet known.

People bleat in my own country about liberties being infringed when we’re required to wear facemasks. I don’t like them either, but you don’t hear these complaints at the funeral of a Covid victim.
It's important to remember that drinkers aren't filling up hospitals to the point of having people dying on gurneys in the hallways.
Covid is.

---------- Post added Dec 2nd, 2021 at 11:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
I've heard talk of that as well but never fully looked into it but it would definitely be a push down the slippery slope.
It's more likely to happen in your country than mine due to the different way health care is funded in our countries.
12-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #2440
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's important to remember that drinkers aren't filling up hospitals to the point of having people dying on gurneys in the hallways.
Covid is.
If people are dying on gurneys in a hospital because beds are full 2 years into the pandemic then it sounds like a hospital problem(unless numbers are peak levels or higher). The numbers are nowhere near where they were when everything was at its peak. Hospitals should already have plans in place for those peak numbers and how to accommodate it. If not plans for this disease then what about the next one that may happen?

My place of work can't be the only place that comes up with counter measures for the unexpected things that happen in life after they happen so that they are better prepared for if it happens again.

Wouldn't it be easier to transfer patients to other hospitals with a universal healthcare system in play?? I can see those transfers being more difficult here because of insurance reasons...
12-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #2441
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
If people are dying on gurneys in a hospital because beds are full 2 years into the pandemic then it sounds like a hospital problem(unless numbers are peak levels or higher). The numbers are nowhere near where they were when everything was at its peak. Hospitals should already have plans in place for those peak numbers and how to accommodate it. If not plans for this disease then what about the next one that may happen?

My place of work can't be the only place that comes up with counter measures for the unexpected things that happen in life after they happen so that they are better prepared for if it happens again.

Wouldn't it be easier to transfer patients to other hospitals with a universal healthcare system in play?? I can see those transfers being more difficult here because of insurance reasons...
I think you need to educate yourself a bit more on the subject.
12-02-2021, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #2442
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The minute you "bend the rules" to save people, other individuals will use the same logic to hurt them.
12-02-2021, 11:49 AM   #2443
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The minute you "bend the rules" to save people, other individuals will use the same logic to hurt them.
This is how it has always been.
12-02-2021, 12:08 PM   #2444
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you need to educate yourself a bit more on the subject.
On which subject? Please be specific so that I can narrow it down for research. I assume it is not the be prepared part of my opinion...but hey, you never know.

---------- Post added 12-02-21 at 02:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
This is how it has always been.
Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. I see it more often than I care to admit unfortunately.
12-02-2021, 12:14 PM   #2445
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

A proverb by Henry G. Bohn about a road paved with good intentions comes to mind.
Closed Thread