Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2020, 02:21 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

I'll have a jab when it's offered - or if. Re masks - I visited a friend in hospital the other day, wearing a mask as usual when close to people, and was asked to remove it. I was then given a hospital mask to wear instead.

The reason ? The mask has a design based on Grateful Dead 'Skulls and Roses', and it was thought it might distress elderly patients ! I can quite understand and agree with that, just happened to be the one I had in my pocket, as I had washed the other two. As for age - 70 early next year, have COPD and limited mobility, so probably low priority.

12-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
I do not believe in quality of testing done. Much of the information is.... manipulated more than in Europe.
I can understand that.
I would be wary of that too.

Nonetheless ... All the best. Stay well.
12-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Just one - I think essential - comment on this.

As long as a fair number of people are wearing masks, there is a much reduced risk of pneumonia and/or flu. I know a lot of people do not behave sensibly, but I still think we won't see much of a flu season this year.

If you want to protect yourself against a disease that is likely to actually affect you this season, the COVID shot is the more important one to get.
If the recent Australian flu-season is anything to go by (https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/cda-surveil-ozflu-flucurr.htm/$File/National-Influenza-Season-Summary2020.pdf), you’re likely to have a reduced risk from that source in the Northern Hemisphere winter. That’s provided people act sensibly, which is always the unknown.
12-19-2020, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
Not for me, I reckon. Folks with autoimmune disorders can have all sorts of new and different symptoms as well as worsening of whatever symptoms they already had. People with unusually aggressive immune systems can't handle the glutamic acid and aluminum salts they add to the vaccine, proper ("excipients"), to stimulate the patient's immune response. Could be deadly, and could actually cause the cytokine storm that some people experience when infected. The good part is that such people have an overactive immune response and probably don't ever "catch cold" at all (and all cold viruses are coronaviruses, this just happened to be the 2019 outbreak of a new mutation - hence the -19 in the name).

And, having already experimented with monoclonal antibodies (usually derived from the ovaries of golden Chinese hamsters) as a treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, I know for a fact that it'll be far better for me to "catch cold" than to get the shot. And, since I've been on one of the two proven preventatives, hydroxychloroquine, for years (Ivermectin being the other), I figure I'm at really low risk either for infection or transmission. Which is a good thing, since I can't breathe well enough to wear a mask.
I wouldn't rely on hydroxychloroquine to protect you.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanrhe/article/PIIS2665-9913(20)30390-8/fulltext

12-19-2020, 06:56 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
If the recent Australian flu-season is anything to go by (https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/cda-surveil-ozflu-flucurr.htm/$File/National-Influenza-Season-Summary2020.pdf), you’re likely to have a reduced risk from that source in the Northern Hemisphere winter. That’s provided people act sensibly, which is always the unknown.
Thanks for that - I was looking at some very similar data from a different source. And you are right wrt acting sensibly - the two concerns I see for the immediate future is (1) people refusing the vaccine, and (2) people causing a third wave on account of false sense of security because a vaccine is available. If recollection serves, the Biontech/Pfizer vaccine has to be taken in two doses a few weeks apart to reach maximum efficacy. The Moderna one may be similar, I've just heard less about it.

So even assuming enough vaccine is available and people actually do take the shot, it will be many weeks, probably months, before we might see anything resembling herd immunity and a subsiding of infection numbers.

Some countries will choose to vaccinate their elders first, which is socially acceptable but means a further delay to herd immunity as that's not really a "spreader" group. So people wearing their, as one Sofia Coppola movie would have put it, "broody masks", is going to continue to be crucial until early summer, in all likelihood.

Rant end.
12-20-2020, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The pneumonia shot is lifetime. It a 2 shot vaccine. I got the first one last year before covid was in the news. I have always gotten a flu shot. I will get the second pneumonia shot. A lot of what is killing people who get covid is secondary infections. I take large doses of vitamin D and C also. It one of the best things you can do right now. The majority of people who get seriously ill from covid are vitamin D deficient.
Twenty five years ago my mom was advised by her doctor to take Vitamin D. She is now 96 and going strong.
12-20-2020, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I can understand that.
I would be wary of that too.

Nonetheless ... All the best. Stay well.
Same to everyone!

12-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #38
Veteran Member

As far as I can tell it will be April before it gets distributed to my level here , at 60 I may have some priority over younger but no other issues to get it earlier. I figure the earliest we will hit any level of vaccinated plus recovered with antibodies to be safer it will be fall. The issue will be getting hesitant people onboard as we head into summer when the disease declines a little ....
12-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #39
Pentaxian

My fiancé is due one probably within the next week, being NHS staff and working with aseptic drugs. Looking forward to her having it, as I know she is.
Stay safe all.
12-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EnglishBob Quote
Twenty five years ago my mom was advised by her doctor to take Vitamin D. She is now 96 and going strong.
I was advised by my doctor to start taking it about 8 years ago when the bloodwork during a routine yearly physical showed I was deficient. People who live in the northern latitudes need to supplement themselves with Vitamin D as we aren't outside enough all year around to absorb UV light through exposed skin to naturally produce it. Darker skinned people need even more as they absorb even less. On top of that, there are people in the medical community who discourage exposure to sunlight. It may solve one problem but creates another as our immune systems are weakened if we are Vitamin D deficient. I recently read that Great Britain realized this and are now giving seniors Vitamin D.
12-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I<snip> I recently read that Great Britain realized this and are now giving seniors Vitamin D.
At 69, I would classify myself as a 'senior' (body at least - mind has not yet caught up !), but have not yet been offered Vit D. I am, however, taking it, having purchased some six months' supply recently. In summer, of course, I am generally in T-shirt, sandals and shorts, plus statutory bald patch, so I am trying to use every last vestige of sunshine that I can.
12-20-2020, 09:29 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So how are/were the side effects of the first shot? I've read they can be pretty painful, hopefully you're feeling decent.
12-20-2020, 09:40 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye it was the a first time for me... due to me now being on a NHS "Hit List" (collapsed lung earlier this year).

Not fancying the prospect of Flu for Xmas, as a result of this jag...

Yikes! That is scary. If anything happened to you who would keep these buggers in line?

It'd be chaos! ..oh wait...
12-20-2020, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #44
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
Yikes! That is scary. If anything happened to you who would keep these buggers in line?

It'd be chaos! ..oh wait...
I thought I was the chaos...
12-20-2020, 10:23 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
So how are/were the side effects of the first shot? I've read they can be pretty painful, hopefully you're feeling decent.
Nothing really little sore near injection side after vaccination I try work in home gym
Only I noted more tired as usually next day was normal No fever no headache
We have 10 people in my place 2 also immuno compromised ,but nobody report any issue
Closed Thread