Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #721
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I've read that part of the rationale for the pause is so that guidance can be developed for medical providers as to risk factors that might cause them to have a patient get Moderna/Pfizer instead of AZ/J&J as well as to update the information sheets for things to watch for that should cause a vaccinated individual too seek medical treatment. Unfortunately, the general public is not awesome at quantitative reasoning (especially when it comes to very unlikely events), and they don't seem to listen beyond "OMG, this vaccine's usage was paused!!!!!"
In the US, they had been using the J&J vaccine in situations where giving a second shot might be awkward - at Indianapolis Motor Speedway they switched to Moderna immediately.

04-16-2021, 09:28 AM   #722
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In the US, they had been using the J&J vaccine in situations where giving a second shot might be awkward - at Indianapolis Motor Speedway they switched to Moderna immediately.
Yeah, the health department had been coming onto campus here to vaccinate students with J&J since summer break is going to be here before a second dose of Moderna would be scheduled. (Pfizer is almost to the point of being outside of the window for the end of our final exams.) There was a clinic scheduled for 0830 on Tuesday that was cancelled at I think 0755. Hopefully the pause can get sorted so we can reschedule some of these before the end of the semester. (It's been great both for the students to get the vaccine and for the nursing students to be able to go help with giving the vaccines.)
04-17-2021, 03:31 AM   #723
Pentaxian

Update with my second dose of pfizer. The site of injection seems to be getting a bit swollen and is pretty warm, anyone else experience this?
04-17-2021, 06:01 AM   #724
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That’s not uncommon, @ZombieArmy. Sign of your immune system kicking in.

04-17-2021, 07:23 AM   #725
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
That's always been a possibility.
Agreed, I didn't indicate that I was a bit annoyed with myself that I didn't think about that right away but that was what I was getting at.
04-17-2021, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #726
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not taken a vaccination today but I have had both injections of the Moderna Vaccine. Got my second shot an April 6, so I'm almost immune, at least until they determine if we need a booster after six months or not. Even if we do need a booster, I feel it will be worth it to have better immunity to the deadly virus.
04-17-2021, 01:28 PM   #727
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The vaccine has only been available for a couple of months so blaming anti vaxers on the known varients isn't a valid argument because they were already circulating late last year. The vaccines have been around a little longer than 2 months but they weren't available to most people and up until this week, there were long lines and waiting lists to get shots. The hullabaloo around the Johnson & Johnson shot seems to have quenched demand around here and now anybody who wants the shots can now get them. You can blame not wearing masks but the astonishing statistics on the drop of flu and cold cases this winter show that more people are wearing masks than not and yet covid keeps spreading. Maybe there is no blame. **** happens.

I think any chances of stopping the virus has long past. Its here and will probably be endemic and we will have to learn to live with it. That may sound cold but it's reality. People have the choice to get vaccinated or eventually get exposed and catch it. I've had my shots and hope they work. Whether the vaccine fails or succeeds, I will continue eating right, working out and staying in the best possible physical condition and continue my vitamins which got me through the first year of all this.
I guess I am discouraged by a place like Brazil where under 5 percent of the population is vaccinated. Maybe this is simply a lack of resources, but the President of Brazil was decidedly negative on vaccines when talking about them earlier this year: Bolsonaro Claims COVID-19 Vaccines Could Turn People Into 'Crocodiles'

The more people get the vaccine, the fewer are likely to transmit the virus on and it is that process of transmission where mutations are passed on. The hope was that mutations would make COVID weaker and less deadly, but several of the variants are not only more contagious, but seem more virulent as well.

I guess I hate the flu comparison because it seems clear that this is quite a bit worse than the flu. The world wide death toll from COVID is over 3 million. In the US it is nearing 600,000 these are totals that dwarf typical flu seasons.
04-17-2021, 01:35 PM   #728
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The hope was that mutations would make COVID weaker and less deadly, but several of the variants are not only more contagious, but seem more virulent as well.
In my (unprofessional) opinion, the path for this virus will be that it'll mutate to become far more contagious but way less deadly over time out competing the problematic variants and becoming what most other coronavirus are... a common cold.

Maybe that's just optimism but it doesn't seem that unlikely in the long run.

04-17-2021, 01:38 PM   #729
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
In my (unprofessional) opinion, the path for this virus will be that it'll mutate to become far more contagious but way less deadly over time out competing the problematic variants and becoming what most other coronavirus are... a common cold.

The medical evidence right now is if that even if you were to get infected now, it would not be as deadly as it would be if you weren't vaccinated.
04-17-2021, 01:45 PM   #730
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bunch of bioinformatics researchers have looked at all theoretical mutations. They analyzed which ones would produce viable variants, and it turns out that they're already out there circulating. (The one endemic coronavirus is speculated to be the virus that caused an epidemic in Russia in the late 19th century.)
04-17-2021, 01:54 PM   #731
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

The variants that survive will be those that can reinfect those who have had COVID already and/or defeat the antibodies produced by the vaccines. As to whether they cause milder or worse disease will depend on the strain. Certainly the death toll from the P.1 variant has been really high, but that may simply be because medical systems in Brazil are overwhelmed.

Even bad COVID doesn't kill people right away. Since most people live for at least a couple of weeks with it, the important thing as to what becomes prevalent is contagiousness of a strain, not its virulence. Obviously if a strain appeared that killed its host in a matter of hours, it would die out very quickly, but that doesn't seem typical of any of the strains we see currently.
04-20-2021, 03:00 AM   #732
Veteran Member

I've had my first Pfizer jab. 2nd one scheduled for May.
04-20-2021, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #733
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my last Pfizer shot was 2 weeks ago about 8:45 AM local

so as far as I know, I will have achieved full protection later today

but no change in what I do, mask and social distance

just in case

but increasing activity outside the home will be occurring
04-20-2021, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #734
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

All COVID vaccines currently being used are not on the FDA's approved list. They are experimental vaccines under a preliminary "emergency use authorization"

What I am really concerned about is using an experimental drug and having side effects. I'm not so sure my insurance company covers health conditions caused by experimental/unapproved vaccines. I'd rather take my chances than trust the rush around this virus.

The last thing I want to be is a guinea pig.

I'll be at the end of the longest line waiting for the vaccination.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 04-20-2021 at 06:07 AM.
04-20-2021, 06:09 AM   #735
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

being in ontario is kind of crazy right now with vaccinations. Not sure when i'll be vaccinated, and no clue when things will get better either.
just keep on keeping

Last edited by Racer X 69; 04-20-2021 at 07:27 AM.