Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #751
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
That goes both ways - the health guidelines include prohibitions on getting vaccinated and wearing masks.
Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC
and
COVID-19: Considerations for Wearing Masks | CDC

It can be dangerous for a person with autoimmune disorder (a genetic condition) to receive any vaccine serum because of the adjuvants. Such people who are already on immunosuppressant drugs (methotrexate, etc.) may be classified as "immunocompromised" and ought to take it notwithstanding the effect of the adjuvants.
I bet you are talking about something like .00001 of the population, not the 25% or so of the population that is refusing the vaccine in the USA or 12% in Canada.

04-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #752
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My mother and brother have so far received both doses of the Pfizer vaccine and are fine.

I'm still in queue.

Last edited by luftfluss; 04-20-2021 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Typo
04-20-2021, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #753
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I was a guinea pig - for the vaccine developed by someone named Jonas Salk.
This vaccine has already received short-range testing.
I know people who were infected by a son coming home from college - and the wife and their older daughter were still {the last time I heard} dealing with "long haul" effects - things like uneven heart beat.
Personally, I would rather 'take a chance' on the vaccine.
Thank you for your involvement with Salk's Polio vaccine. I remember a young girl who, in second grade, was stricken with polio and knowing her then is a devastating memory.

In the current pandemic, friends of my son's family have had the disease through most of the family. One of that family's sons, a classmate of my grandson, was infected with COVID and now has cardiac symptoms at the age of twelve. I also have lost a couple classmates to the disease. This coronavirus is not something to disregard or consider a hoax, IT IS REAL.
04-20-2021, 01:04 PM - 3 Likes   #754
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Thank you for your involvement with Salk's Polio vaccine. I remember a young girl who, in second grade, was stricken with polio and knowing her then is a devastating memory.

In the current pandemic, friends of my son's family have had the disease through most of the family. One of that family's sons, a classmate of my grandson, was infected with COVID and now has cardiac symptoms at the age of twelve. I also have lost a couple classmates to the disease. This coronavirus is not something to disregard or consider a hoax, IT IS REAL.
Yep, and until everyone, including the scaredy-cats who are quaking in fear and are hiding under their beds from syringe bearing health care professionals, puts on their big person pants and develop a little bit of common sense and courage, this pandemic will continue to be with us.
The only saving grace is that eventually the vaccine refusers will come face to face with the disease, with the distinct possibility of being removed from the gene pool and increasing herd intelligence in the process.

04-20-2021, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #755
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Yep, and until everyone, including the scaredy-cats who are quaking in fear and are hiding under their beds from syringe bearing health care professionals, puts on their big person pants and develop a little bit of common sense and courage, this pandemic will continue to be with us.
The only saving grace is that eventually the vaccine refusers will come face to face with the disease, with the distinct possibility of being removed from the gene pool and increasing herd intelligence in the process.
New data is providing a picture of just how effective the COVID-19 vaccines really are. The CDC disclosed Monday that it had confirmed just 6,000 infections in 84 million adults who have been fully vaccinated—meaning 14 days after they received the second dose. Just as heartening, CNBC reports, is that none of those who contracted the virus post-vaccination got severely ill or died—and 30 percent had no symptoms at all. The CDC director, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, said the 6,000 is likely an undercount, but that doesn’t change the overall picture: “These vaccines are working.
Moderna and Pfizer you should get Noble
CDC report 4/19
04-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #756
Pentaxian

Eventually, everyone has had so much time to get vaccinated that "Vaccine Passports" will make certain activities {such as, my wife and I can again visit Canada's Pt. Pelee NP} possible for those of us who have been vaccinated, and those remaining can just complain about having their liberties limited.
04-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #757
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
New data is providing a picture of just how effective the COVID-19 vaccines really are. The CDC disclosed Monday that it had confirmed just 6,000 infections in 84 million adults who have been fully vaccinated—meaning 14 days after they received the second dose. Just as heartening, CNBC reports, is that none of those who contracted the virus post-vaccination got severely ill or died—and 30 percent had no symptoms at all. The CDC director, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, said the 6,000 is likely an undercount, but that doesn’t change the overall picture: “These vaccines are working.
Moderna and Pfizer you should get Noble
CDC report 4/19
Actually 396 people were hospitalised and 74 died out of the 6000. Where did you get your information?

04-20-2021, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #758
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
All COVID vaccines currently being used are not on the FDA's approved list. They are experimental vaccines under a preliminary "emergency use authorization"

What I am really concerned about is using an experimental drug and having side effects. I'm not so sure my insurance company covers health conditions caused by experimental/unapproved vaccines. I'd rather take my chances than trust the rush around this virus.

The last thing I want to be is a guinea pig.

I'll be at the end of the longest line waiting for the vaccination.
I just always think you have to balance risk of vaccines versus the risk of infection. Vaccines do have side effects. Most are mild, although there are some rare, but serious ones. The risk of COVID seems to be hospitalization (mostly for those over 50), death (about 0.6 percent of the time), and long haul COVID with fairly profound, long standing symptoms.

Looking at countries like Brazil and India that are dealing with new variants that seem to be affecting younger people, I am really worried. Half of the ICU beds in Brazil are taken up with patients under 40 and the P.1 strain that is there seems able to infect people who have already gotten over standard strains of COVID. The crematoriums have been completely unable to keep up with deaths in India and it seems likely that many COVID deaths there are simply not being counted. India coronavirus deaths: Non-stop cremations cast doubt on counting of Covid dead - CNN

It is your choice not to take the vaccine, but I really think the disease is pretty scary. Much scarier than the fact the vaccines are being given under an emergency approval situation.
04-20-2021, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #759
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just always think you have to balance risk of vaccines versus the risk of infection. Vaccines do have side effects. Most are mild, although there are some rare, but serious ones. The risk of COVID seems to be hospitalization (mostly for those over 50), death (about 0.6 percent of the time), and long haul COVID with fairly profound, long standing symptoms.

Looking at countries like Brazil and India that are dealing with new variants that seem to be affecting younger people, I am really worried. Half of the ICU beds in Brazil are taken up with patients under 40 and the P.1 strain that is there seems able to infect people who have already gotten over standard strains of COVID. The crematoriums have been completely unable to keep up with deaths in India and it seems likely that many COVID deaths there are simply not being counted. India coronavirus deaths: Non-stop cremations cast doubt on counting of Covid dead - CNN

It is your choice not to take the vaccine, but I really think the disease is pretty scary. Much scarier than the fact the vaccines are being given under an emergency approval situation.
We've been making vaccines for about 225 years now. I suspect we have gotten pretty good about making safe ones in that time.

Apparently on Saturday I spent an hour in the presence of a person who tested positive but neglected to tell anyone he was being tested. He shouldn't have been at work at all.
So far, so good, no symptoms.
I'm a month into my first shot, and am confident I haven't caught the plague. I've become a big fan of vaccines.
04-20-2021, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #760
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't that similar to Darwin's theory of evolution? I recall a comment in a motorcyclist's magazine, "Easy Rider", quite a few years ago where someone wrote similar thoughts about bikers not wearing helmets. Darwin did say his theory was based on the idea of survival of the fittest. I think the fit part includes those with fit minds.
04-20-2021, 04:06 PM   #761
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Had a lady at work say her grand-daughter sneezed right in her face over the weekend, and turns out the little girl had a high fever the next day. We'll see if she comes down with anything in the next week or so.
04-20-2021, 04:35 PM   #762
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Actually 396 people were hospitalised and 74 died out of the 6000. Where did you get your information?
open CDC web
04-20-2021, 06:03 PM   #763
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife got her second dose of Pfizer today. I get mine on Saturday.
My daughter will get her first dose of the Moderna vaccine on Friday.

Chris
04-20-2021, 07:27 PM   #764
Veteran Member

We've been making vaccines for about 225 years now. I suspect we have gotten pretty good about making safe ones in that time.

Apparently on Saturday I spent an hour in the presence of a person who tested positive but neglected to tell anyone he was being tested. He shouldn't have been at work at all.
So far, so good, no symptoms.
I'm a month into my first shot, and am confident I haven't caught the plague. I've become a big fan of vaccines.
Should probably get tested, asymptomatic carriers are still a thing. That infected guy should be fired, unless he's the boss. Depending on the kind of work that can wreck the business.
04-20-2021, 10:48 PM   #765
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
open CDC web
A link would have been better.
"Out of the 6,000 or so breakthrough infections, 396 people were hospitalized and 74 people died, according to CDC data released last week."
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/19/cdc-says-there-have-been-less-than-6000-brea...americans.html
Or straight from the horse's mouth

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

Last edited by slartibartfast01; 04-20-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Closed Thread