Usually all take 15 min set up
At least it was last week
Plus they I mean in pharmacy very quick set up
Plus for health worker go in your workplace

08-27-2021, 02:47 AM   #1457
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here, you can walk into most CVS or Walgreens locations without an appointment and get a vaccine.

As far as the vaccine protocols go, they were designed based on the studies and in the studies they were given 3/4 weeks apart to try to get the studies done more rapidly. It is possible that separating the doses by 7 or 8 weeks is a little better, but there is a caveat. Initially, a single dose of Pfizer/Moderna gave 65 to 70 percent protection against the original strain of COVID. This could cover people for the extra weeks till they got their second shot. It seems clear that a single dose of vaccine only provides about 20 percent protection against Delta. So, if you dose people 8 weeks apart that means it takes them 10 weeks to get adequate protection and plenty of time to catch COVID in the meantime.
08-28-2021, 12:34 AM   #1458
Pentaxian

Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this headline? I read the article and couldn't see anything to justify it.
BBC News - Covid: Delta patients twice as likely to need hospital care
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58354342

08-28-2021, 01:55 AM   #1459
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this headline? I read the article and couldn't see anything to justify it.
Covid: Delta variant patients twice as likely to need hospital care - BBC News
The BBC quotes the raw numbers with the conclusion; the explanation of the adjustment that is done on the paper is missing. The authors claim that, since the Delta variant patients were younger (median age 29, vs 31 for alpha), a given person has a significantly higher risk of hospitalization and bad outcomes. Other variables are mentioned, but I don't have nearly enough knowledge to understand why the unadjusted hazard ratio (1.03) jumps all the way to 2.2 when accounting for these...

08-28-2021, 02:09 AM   #1460
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The BBC quotes the raw numbers with the conclusion; the explanation of the adjustment that is done on the paper is missing. The authors claim that, since the Delta variant patients were younger (median age 29, vs 31 for alpha), a given person has a significantly higher risk of hospitalization and bad outcomes. Other variables are mentioned, but I don't have nearly enough knowledge to understand why the unadjusted hazard ratio (1.03) jumps all the way to 2.2 when accounting for these...
I expected to see double the percentage of hospital admissions among those infected with Delta but none of the figures tally. I saw 2.3% compared to 2.2% and something like 5.7% compared to 4.6%. I have no idea what unadjusted or adjusted hazard ratio are . Nowhere in the paper does it claim the risk is double, as far as I could see they just say higher.

08-28-2021, 02:14 AM   #1461
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I expected to see double the percentage of hospital admissions among those infected with Delta but none of the figures tally. I saw 2.3% compared to 2.2% and something like 5.7% compared to 4.6%. I have no idea what unadjusted or adjusted hazard ratio are . Nowhere in the paper does it claim the risk is double, as far as I could see they just say higher.
The Hazard Ratio is the comparison of risk between variants. The adjusted ratio is 2.26 (which is slightly over double), but a scientific paper won't ever say things like "the risk is double", they'll just point to the number and say "increased".

The thing is that we know that younger people are hospitalized less often. Thus, if the average age of the hospitalized patients is lower for Delta (because older demographics are more vaccinated and avoiding risk more), yet the hospital admission ratio is the same, a person of a given age has twice (or whatever exact number as age is not the only variable) the risk with Delta.
08-28-2021, 02:27 AM   #1462
Pentaxian

The Hazard Ratio is the comparison of risk between variants. The adjusted ratio is 2.26 (which is slightly over double), but a scientific paper won't ever say things like "the risk is double", they'll just point to the number and say "increased".

The thing is that we know that younger people are hospitalized less often. Thus, if the average age of the hospitalized patients is lower for Delta (because older demographics are more vaccinated and avoiding risk more), yet the hospital admission ratio is the same, a person of a given age has twice (or whatever exact number as age is not the only variable) the risk with Delta.
I see. I wonder how they came up with an HR of 2.26 from 2.3% vs 2.2% but only an HR of 1.45 from 5.7% vs 4.2%.

08-28-2021, 02:35 AM   #1463
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What they are saying is that the ones in the alpha group should have been healthier based on their pre-COVID risk factors. It looks like they were a little younger and there were probably other things that should have made them have better outcomes. Only 1.3 percent of the alpha cases were fully vaccinated (listed as >21 days after second vaccine dose) while 3.9 percent of the delta cases requiring hospitalization were fully vaccinated.

It doesn't surprise me. The viral loads with Delta are hundreds of times higher than with Alpha and it seems as though it is much more damaging to people and we do see more breakthrough cases with it.
08-28-2021, 07:41 AM - 4 Likes   #1464
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Covid: Delta variant patients twice as likely to need hospital care - BBC News
I can explain it.
A headline of "Mrs. O'Leary's cat kicked over it's saucer of milk" wouldn't have sold nearly as many papers as "Mrs. O"Leary's cow kicked a lantern and set Chicago ablaze".

The two governing maxims in journalism are:

"If it bleeds it leads"
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
08-28-2021, 08:03 AM   #1465
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I can explain it.
A headline of "Mrs. O'Leary's cat kicked over it's saucer of milk" wouldn't have sold nearly as many papers as "Mrs. O"Leary's cow kicked a lantern and set Chicago ablaze".

"If it bleeds it leads"
The paper *does* say what is claimed in the article, though, it's just that it's badly explained
08-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #1466
Pentaxian

The paper *does* say what is claimed in the article, though, it's just that it's badly explained
I am surprised the headline wasn't "more than twice as likely"

08-28-2021, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #1467
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I can explain it.

"If it bleeds it leads"
I think the important thing is that they have a link to the article. A lot of the more dubious sites out there quote tiny bits out of an article that distorts what the article says and then have no connection to the actual article.

When I see a news item, I try to find the sources of that item, rather than reading a summary that a reporter tried to make of it. Understanding as well, that seldom are the headlines written by the same ones who write the stories.
08-28-2021, 05:05 PM   #1468
Inactive Account

This is what just happen in Tokyo
Koike Apologizes over Youth Vaccination Center in Tokyo | Nippon.com

They try to open a walk-in vaccination center in front of "Shibuya Station" which is one of the busiest in Tokyo. They try to get young people to be vaccinated. A lot of PR before the day and on TV, people talk a lot about there are not enough younger people get vaccinated that's why new cases in Tokyo keep going up which I has always thing that it is wrong to blame the younger people. The real reason is the shortage in number of vaccine given out in large metropolitan areas. This is telling from my direct experience trying to reserve a shot recently.

Any way the Tokyo Government Office people prepare only 300 doses for people in Shibuya!
They have to close the vaccination center by 7:30 am because they ran out of vaccine.
They didn't say what time did they open the center. Maybe the center was open like 7:30 and immodestly close?
They are people from the Tokyo government office, but they seem to have no idea how many people are in front of Shibuya station. You don't prepare only 300 dose for Shibuya's busiest intersection!

Last edited by tokyoscape; 08-28-2021 at 05:12 PM.
09-01-2021, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #1469
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
This is what just happen in Tokyo
Koike Apologizes over Youth Vaccination Center in Tokyo | Nippon.com

They try to open a walk-in vaccination center in front of "Shibuya Station" which is one of the busiest in Tokyo. They try to get young people to be vaccinated. A lot of PR before the day and on TV, people talk a lot about there are not enough younger people get vaccinated that's why new cases in Tokyo keep going up which I has always thing that it is wrong to blame the younger people. The real reason is the shortage in number of vaccine given out in large metropolitan areas. This is telling from my direct experience trying to reserve a shot recently.

Any way the Tokyo Government Office people prepare only 300 doses for people in Shibuya!
They have to close the vaccination center by 7:30 am because they ran out of vaccine.
They didn't say what time did they open the center. Maybe the center was open like 7:30 and immodestly close?
They are people from the Tokyo government office, but they seem to have no idea how many people are in front of Shibuya station. You don't prepare only 300 dose for Shibuya's busiest intersection!
At the same time, it seems incredible that people only get vaccinated when someone puts a vaccination centre right in front of them on their way to work.
09-01-2021, 03:58 PM   #1470
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
At the same time, it seems incredible that people only get vaccinated when someone puts a vaccination centre right in front of them on their way to work.
We've doubled our caseload in the past few days here in now (finally) sunny Saskatchewan. In six weeks, we have gone from 21 active cases per 100k to 202. Our seven day rolling average has gone from 25 to 263 new cases per 100k.
And our local government has decided that there is nothing to be done to try to slow it down.
They are stupid, irresponsible people.
Closed Thread