Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very good news.

12-20-2020, 11:54 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
So how are/were the side effects of the first shot? I've read they can be pretty painful, hopefully you're feeling decent.
My arm became sore about 8 hours after the injection. Had a bit of headache and low grade fever. Felt slightly ran down. It was more than I had anticipated, but overall iy wasn’t too bad.
12-21-2020, 05:15 AM   #48

Watching, listening and waiting.
12-21-2020, 07:43 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure how my positive COVID-19 antibodies test result in June (after my "flu" in March) will affect my eligibility to receive the vaccine.
Except for health care workers I expect most of the rest of us "essential workers" will be pretty far down the list...

Chris

12-21-2020, 12:27 PM   #50
Pentaxian

We was told antibody no reason not receive or remove from list for vaccine
12-22-2020, 05:39 AM   #51

Looks like my T cells are getting a workout this year.
12-22-2020, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I'll have a jab when it's offered - or if. Re masks - I visited a friend in hospital the other day, wearing a mask as usual when close to people, and was asked to remove it. I was then given a hospital mask to wear instead.

The reason ? The mask has a design based on Grateful Dead 'Skulls and Roses', and it was thought it might distress elderly patients ! I can quite understand and agree with that, just happened to be the one I had in my pocket, as I had washed the other two. As for age - 70 early next year, have COPD and limited mobility, so probably low priority.
Did they not know how long Grateful Dead has been around? They came together in 1965. All of us who were around when they made it big are elderly now. BTW, I turn 70 next year myself. Condescending young whippersnappers.

Yes I will get the vaccine if comes around for me.

12-22-2020, 08:03 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Us too...., I'm not expecting the Covid vaccine until March at the earliest. I'm not in a area with Covid cases, the closest cases being an hours drive away, I live in the bush, I'm in contact with maybe 5 people a week,I suspect won't be in the first group, or the second , or the third....... probably Moderna will be my option which the pharmacist at the drug store will have at some point.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Pfizer one, of course. Hoping this is the beginning of the end . . . . . . .
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't believe that glutamate or aluminum salts are added constituents of the current preparation. I also doubt that there is risk of runaway cytokine production as side-effect of a limited antigen challenge. That said, if you are receiving immune suppressants for RA, you will probably want to consult both your regular doctor and rheumatologist before considering the COVID-19 vaccine. It is possible that it simply would not work on account of your therapy.

Edit: Some additional notes regarding ingredients and adjuvants. Firstly, the Pfizer vaccine does not include adjuvants such as aluminum salts or squalene derivatives. Secondly, the ingredient list is pretty simple:
  • mRNA (three types)
  • Lipids (including ((4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis(2-hexyldecanoate), 2 [(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide, 1,2-Distearoyl-sn-glycero-3- phosphocholine, and cholesterol) intended as a chemical protectant for the mRNA strands and as an assist for traversing the membrane into the host cells.
  • Potassium chloride, osmotic balance and stability enhancement
  • Monobasic potassium phosphate, pH buffer
  • Sodium chloride, osmotic balance and stability enhancement
  • Dibasic sodium phosphate dehydrate, pH buffer
  • Sucrose, stability enhancement

Steve

(...not trying to be a know-it-all, just have a varied education and diverse resume' heavy in the biological and medical side of things...)
Here is a little info from Canada on the vaccine, in this day and age of so many conspiracy theories I am a firm believer in doing my own research!

By the way I don't think it is a bad thing, like "old age" the alternatives to NOT aging aren't good!
https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/9257-COVID19_Vaccine-Fact-Sheet_11Dec2020.pdf
12-22-2020, 01:29 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to hear your experience.

I just received a text message from my medical center telling me that they are receiving the first doses and will let me know my estimated date in the next year.

My arm became sore about 8 hours after the injection. Had a bit of headache and low grade fever. Felt slightly ran down. It was more than I had anticipated, but overall iy wasn’t too bad.
12-22-2020, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok. Now the side effects are completely gone. A bit more than I thought it would be. I wonder if the reactions are going to be milder or worse on the next one. Mentally - I feel slightly better about going to work each day. An equivalent to a video game character getting a shield or something like that.
12-22-2020, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #56
mee
Veteran Member

Ok. Now the side effects are completely gone. A bit more than I thought it would be. I wonder if the reactions are going to be milder or worse on the next one. Mentally - I feel slightly better about going to work each day. An equivalent to a video game character getting a shield or something like that.
Any newfound hunger for brains or desire to shuffle your feet slowly while wandering aimlessly about?
12-22-2020, 06:56 PM - 5 Likes   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Any newfound hunger for brains or desire to shuffle your feet slowly while wandering aimlessly about?
No. But I grew a hand off of my forehead but since it has been helpful I decided to not sweat it.
12-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #58
mee
Veteran Member

haha you're a hoot!
12-23-2020, 04:05 AM - 5 Likes   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got vaccinated last evening. Some arm soreness, but nothing else.

Well, I guess I should mention that I can only write and speak German now, but fortunately Google has wonderful translation software so it shouldn't affect my presence on the Forum.

(My wife says she appreciates me so much more now that she can't understand a thing I say).
12-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #60

I am more worried about the exponential growth of antibiotic resistant pneumonia and other lethal bacteria evolving in hospitals than this mRNA vaccine designed for last year's strain of the virus. My doctor wouldn't even waste an antibody test on me in September because my bout with Covid was a mild fever for two days last January (when the experts told us the virus was nothing to worry about.)
My brother got over his virus in July, and his wife and daughters all tested positive with zero symptoms.
Closed Thread