Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2021, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My friend got Saturday.more chill more pain in arm little fiver but it’s expected still more generally as onset flew
today he said slowly back to normal may still very tired

We in Pfizer path my will be in 4 day
I give my count when got mine

I work on the hospital so mask and gear never stop
I hope we can travel without 14 day stay at home
After full vaccination
How long immunity stay nobody know

01-04-2021, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm a trucker and there has been some speculation that they could tie the vaccine to our medical cards (required to maintain a commercial driver's licence in the U.S.). I, and a large portion the trucking industry are ready to give up our licences if forced to take it. If you want to take it by choice, I have no issue with that. For me, there is just too much spin and misinformation from the medical community and media for me to be willing to be one of their guinea pig's on such a new drug. My wife and kids won't either due to a history of severe reactions to other vaccines (including being hospitalized as a result).
01-04-2021, 10:25 PM - 3 Likes   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
For me, there is just too much spin and misinformation from the medical community and media for me to be willing to be one of their guinea pig's on such a new drug.
The spin and misinformation is on the vaccine critics and conspiracy theory side. Good luck.
01-05-2021, 06:15 AM - 3 Likes   #94
Veteran Member

Ok , you don’t want it , stop here, no need of anti vaxxer here on PF.

01-05-2021, 06:56 AM   #95
Pentaxian

My fiancé had hers today (Pfizer, I believe).
Achy arm a la flu jab but nothing else. Was notified of her appointment this morning, had jab early afternoon and is back in work again now (hospital pharmacy).
As an under-30, non-healthcare worker (but key worker nonetheless), I'll be continuing with my 7:30-4:30 job, Monday to Friday, sans vaccine for some time to come.
01-05-2021, 08:48 PM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
The spin and misinformation is on the vaccine critics and conspiracy theory side. Good luck.
No, I'm basing my views on what I'm seeing from the medical community and media trying to advocate various lockdowns and restrictions in general, and finding holes in their arguments. Sometimes major holes. My original reply to you got too political for the forums, so I'll just present this video trying to show masks being effective as an example. The actual demonstration shows the opposite when you consider what they say and how they edited it.

That isn't from some hoax propaganda site or conspiracy theorists.

Another question my wife brought up today was the issue of viral shedding from the vaccines. She was trying to look up info on how they work and if there's any risks associated with viral shedding as can happen with live virus vaccines. Her parents are being scheduled for it, so we are trying to find out if we need to be mindful of that with her parents or others that are being vaccinated. She hasn't been able to find anything on this, which in itself is somewhat concerning. If anyone here happens to have any articles or whatever on that topic, we would love to see it.
01-06-2021, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines aren't live virus vaccines, though. It's actually a snippet of viral DNA that codes for the spike proteins on the shell of the virus. You can't shed the virus from this vaccine because there is no virus in this vaccine. Can't contract it and you can't spread it from these vaccines.

01-06-2021, 01:15 AM - 2 Likes   #98
Pentaxian

My original reply to you got too political for the forums, so I'll just present this video trying to show masks being effective as an example. The actual demonstration shows the opposite when you consider what they say and how they edited it.
I'm afraid I'm missing your point here.
I think we're seeing the same video, appreciating the same aspects but are able to put a different spin on it.
I see it as wearing masks + socially distancing (as is prescribed here in UK) = reduced likelihood of inhalation of droplets from someone else in the vicinity. The video did show that without masks, droplets travel further (in the case of coughing as demonstrated).
It doesn't eradicate it, because that's not feasible for mass populous (cost and resource constraint).
The distance travelled is significantly greater without a mask. If you're not also social distancing in that regard then you're at even greater risk of inhalation of, potentially COV-containing, droplets.

In general, and in my opinion, it's a simple case of:
x portion of population is infected with a virus.
In order for virus to spread, they must be in contact with, or transmit via breathing, y portion of population.
If restrictions/lockdowns are followed as prescribed, then x population is at a significantly reduced probability of being in contact with y population.
If there must be some potential crossover of x population and y population, then other mitigating measures (e.g. hand sanitising for reducing contaminated contact surfaces, social distancing for reducing physical contact, mask wearing for reducing spread of contaminated droplets) should be adopted and adhered to. Contaminated droplets are also not solely person-to-person. They may be person to surface, at which point reducing the distance of spread is also valuable at reducing cross-contamination.
If they are not adhered to (as we are all aware of), then the lockdown/restriction/mitigating measures fail.

In short, the failure is not in the lockdown or mitigating measures themselves, it's in the human population's ability to follow instruction.

Last edited by Benz3ne; 01-06-2021 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Further description.
01-06-2021, 01:50 AM - 2 Likes   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The actual demonstration shows the opposite when you consider what they say and how they edited it.
No, the take away from this video is wear a mask! Stay at least 6 feet away from anyone wearing a mask (other than those you live with) and keep completely away from anyone not wearing a mask. Spend as little time with others as possible.

the issue of viral shedding from the vaccines
This page seems about right except the bit about viral shedding which is not well written: UConn Health's Dr. David Banach Explains the COVID-19 Vaccine - UConn Today

Mikey says:
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
You can't shed the virus from this vaccine because there is no virus in this vaccine. Can't contract it and you can't spread it from these vaccines.
But that's not quite true. Apart from the fact that the vaccines are only 95% effective (and that's still really good), vaccines don't stop you from being infected. They prepare the immune system to fight the infection (SARS-CoV-2) so that so that you either do not develop the disease (Covid-19) or only develop a mild case.

So where the UConn article says :

“For instance, people who get the vaccine might still potentially shed virus, potentially at a lower level. The vaccine will prevent them from actually becoming ill, but vaccinated individuals might still be able to have virus in their nose and their respiratory system."

I believe it is referring to people who are infected before or after receiving the vaccine, certainly not as a result of receiving the vaccine.
01-06-2021, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
In short, the failure is not in the lockdown or mitigating measures themselves, it's in the human population's ability to follow instruction.
Well, that should be inability. But otherwise, Hell Yes!
01-06-2021, 01:55 AM - 2 Likes   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
I believe it is referring to people who are infected before or after receiving the vaccine, certainly not as a result of receiving the vaccine.
This is the statement that addresses Mooncatt's concerns about shedding the virus as a result of receipt of the vaccine.

Another bit worth noting is that although the vaccine doesn't stop you potentially carrying the disease, it does promote destruction of the disease by the body through antibodies.
If people are less infectious for a shorter period of time, that helps eradicate the virus, so virus shedding would be reduced also.
01-06-2021, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #102
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, the take away from this video is wear a mask! Stay at least 6 feet away from anyone wearing a mask (other than those you live with) and keep completely away from anyone not wearing a mask. Spend as little time with others as possible.

This page seems about right except the bit about viral shedding which is not well written: UConn Health's Dr. David Banach Explains the COVID-19 Vaccine - UConn Today

Mikey says:

But that's not quite true. Apart from the fact that the vaccines are only 95% effective (and that's still really good), vaccines don't stop you from being infected. They prepare the immune system to fight the infection (SARS-CoV-2) so that so that you either do not develop the disease (Covid-19) or only develop a mild case.

So where the UConn article says :

“For instance, people who get the vaccine might still potentially shed virus, potentially at a lower level. The vaccine will prevent them from actually becoming ill, but vaccinated individuals might still be able to have virus in their nose and their respiratory system."

I was referring to the fact that you can't contract COVID directly from these COVID vaccines, not that you won't contract COVID after receiving one.
01-06-2021, 01:57 AM   #103
Pentaxian

Well, that should be inability. But otherwise, Hell Yes!
A valuable correction, ha!
01-06-2021, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I was referring to the fact that you can't contract COVID directly from these COVID vaccines, not that you won't contract COVID after receiving one.
I understood that but needed to make it really really clear.
01-06-2021, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, I'm basing my views on what I'm seeing from the medical community and media trying to advocate various lockdowns and restrictions in general, and finding holes in their arguments. Sometimes major holes. My original reply to you got too political for the forums, so I'll just present this video trying to show masks being effective as an example. The actual demonstration shows the opposite when you consider what they say and how they edited it.

https://youtu.be/9ZLl3t5kOJo

That isn't from some hoax propaganda site or conspiracy theorists.

Another question my wife brought up today was the issue of viral shedding from the vaccines. She was trying to look up info on how they work and if there's any risks associated with viral shedding as can happen with live virus vaccines. Her parents are being scheduled for it, so we are trying to find out if we need to be mindful of that with her parents or others that are being vaccinated. She hasn't been able to find anything on this, which in itself is somewhat concerning. If anyone here happens to have any articles or whatever on that topic, we would love to see it.
None of the vaccines on the table right now are "live virus" vaccines. The two that are out currently are mRNA vaccines where you are injected with messenger RNA that tells your cells to make COVID spike proteins. It does that till the mRNA degrades and your body sees the spike proteins and makes antibodies to them. Down the road, Astra Zeneca, Merck, and Janssen are coming out with more traditional vaccines that involve growing virus and killing it. AZ's vaccine should be pretty close now (I think it has been approved for use in the UK).

I don't think anybody thinks that surgical/cloth masks or social distancing is perfect. It probably is less effective now than it was in the beginning due to new strains being more contagious and therefore requiring less virus to cause an infection, but it certainly doesn't hurt and probably helps a little bit. I think the goal has been trying to continue life as close to normal as possible while attempting to keep hospital systems from getting overwhelmed (which they are at present).

I thought this Yale study: Business Restrictions and COVID Fatalities by Matthew I. Spiegel, Heather Tookes :: SSRN was really interesting as they looked at what things really affected the growth rate of COVID and what didn't.

---------- Post added 01-06-21 at 06:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Until we reach “herd immunity” which at this rate of vaccine administration we will not reach in 10 years (in US), mask wearing and social distancing will be necessary for years to come. It will always be about the vulnerable people I suppose.

Have you had a second shot booster yet? How different of a sensation? My wifey had a Moderna one and had a heck of time, and 10 days later the malaise still comes and goes, although how attributable it is to vaccine we are not sure.
I had heard the Moderna vaccine was a bit worse on the second shot than the Pfizer one.
Closed Thread