Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2021, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #316
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I was under the impression (not verified) that it was also in part due to enlarged hearts as a result of the training typically required by professional athletes?
It would make sense that infections can make their way, unnoticed, into hearts and cause issues, especially with large numbers of professional sportspersons taking large doses of painkillers before/during/after games (I know rugby suffers with this trend) which could mask symptoms.
I'd also have assumed that evidence of blood-clotting, post-CoV infection, would have the probability of causing strokes, pulmonary embolism as well as embolism in the heart.
It's all such a lottery at present. My colleagues' children had both contracted CoV. One had loss of taste and smell for around 4 days and recovered perfectly. The other has long COVID, has clots on their lungs and hasn't worked since March on account of significant breathlessness even with the most sedentary tasks.
The woman I mentioned above has mystified the doctors in our area.
They have lots of the usual experience, but very little with Covid-19.

02-09-2021, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #317
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
My parents (both in their 70s) have now both had their first dose, one Pfizer and one AZ, so that leaves me a lot more relaxed.
Same here (though my mam is a little shy of 70).
Both grandparents done.
Older brother done.
Fiancé done.

Very confidence-inspiring.
02-09-2021, 11:16 AM - 2 Likes   #318
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Had the good news today that because of my occupation (working for the Library service)I am being moved up the priority list and can book an appointment!
02-09-2021, 03:56 PM - 3 Likes   #319
Forum Member

Had it a few weeks ago and every week since have been marshaling at the Covid clinic helping people find their way. So glad to help out even though the weather has been pretty cold. Please encourage all who are called up to attend.

02-09-2021, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #320
Pentaxian

When I received my shot - now a week ago - I was asked to register with a site called "vsafe" - run by the CDC; their operating it may be connected to the "emergency" approval given to the vaccines.
Every day it asks me to report reactions; so far, the only one I have noticed is being more tired and listless than before.
In another 23 days I'll receive the second shot.
02-17-2021, 04:41 PM - 2 Likes   #321
Pentaxian

Had my first AZ vaccination on Monday,left with mild flu-like symptoms for 24 hours and some very feverish dreams!
02-17-2021, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #322
Pentaxian

Had my first jab (Pfizer) Monday. Nice 3-mile walk round UEA Broad (Norwich) afterwards - longest walk this year. No ill effects apart from legs aching the following day, which was probably due to the walk.

02-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #323
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Had my first jab (Pfizer) Monday. Nice 3-mile walk round UEA Broad (Norwich) afterwards - longest walk this year. No ill effects apart from legs aching the following day, which was probably due to the walk.
Is the weird statue still there,the one that was supposed to scare the children?
02-17-2021, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #324
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Is the weird statue still there,the one that was supposed to scare the children?
Do you mean the bronze 'Stone Man' ? if so, yes, but none of the horde of brats (sorry - little kiddie-winks) around seemed worried by it.
02-17-2021, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #325
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Had my first AZ vaccination on Monday,left with mild flu-like symptoms for 24 hours and some very feverish dreams!
Reassured, that's a great sign - those symptoms mean a great response, that your body really reacted and should produce a heap of antibodies.

Where there's absolutely no reaction at all, well, there's that percentage chance (5% or whatever) that it hasn't helped you.

Of course, there's a tiny chance your body gets it completely wrong and anaphylaxis kicks in, but that's why you have to wait 15 minutes with somebody who has an epipen able to eyeball you, before they let you home!
02-18-2021, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #326
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Reassured, that's a great sign - those symptoms mean a great response, that your body really reacted and should produce a heap of antibodies.

Where there's absolutely no reaction at all, well, there's that percentage chance (5% or whatever) that it hasn't helped you.

Of course, there's a tiny chance your body gets it completely wrong and anaphylaxis kicks in, but that's why you have to wait 15 minutes with somebody who has an epipen able to eyeball you, before they let you home!
That was my understanding too,(and the comfort I took).

Last edited by timb64; 02-18-2021 at 05:05 AM.
02-18-2021, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #327
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I received my shot - now a week ago - I was asked to register with a site called "vsafe" - run by the CDC; their operating it may be connected to the "emergency" approval given to the vaccines.
Every day it asks me to report reactions; so far, the only one I have noticed is being more tired and listless than before.
In another 23 days I'll receive the second shot.
It is linked to the VAERS site: The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) Request With the COVID vaccines being new they are tracking any possible adverse reactions. The problem with the site is that people report severe reactions but it turns out that they weren't related to the shot. The CDC investigates each event and decides if they think it is related or not. So initially they were saying for the Pfizer vaccine that the rate of severe allergy (anaphylaxis) with it was 11 cases per million. After investigation they downgraded that to 5 cases per million.

From what I can tell there have been 13,000 "possible" severe reactions to the vaccine that they are currently investigating. But that is out of 60 million shots given. I think they are doing their best to check out all of these events to see if they are a concern.

(In the past, tracking of adverse events mainly happened when doctor's offices reported them to the CDC's vaccine arm. This app just makes the process more automated).
02-18-2021, 04:07 PM   #328
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is linked to the VAERS site: The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) Request With the COVID vaccines being new they are tracking any possible adverse reactions. The problem with the site is that people report severe reactions but it turns out that they weren't related to the shot. The CDC investigates each event and decides if they think it is related or not. So initially they were saying for the Pfizer vaccine that the rate of severe allergy (anaphylaxis) with it was 11 cases per million. After investigation they downgraded that to 5 cases per million.

From what I can tell there have been 13,000 "possible" severe reactions to the vaccine that they are currently investigating. But that is out of 60 million shots given. I think they are doing their best to check out all of these events to see if they are a concern.

(In the past, tracking of adverse events mainly happened when doctor's offices reported them to the CDC's vaccine arm. This app just makes the process more automated).
As far as you can tell, Rondec, how many deaths have there been from the 60 million shots. I mean, due to the vaccine. Some 8000 people die each day of various things, don't they?
02-18-2021, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #329
Pentaxian

A 1 in ??????? chance of a bad reaction versus mild discomfort and a 70% (?) chance of being protected against this horrible virus?I'll take those odds every day of the week.
02-18-2021, 04:46 PM   #330
Pentaxian

They're still hard to find around here. I'm 70 and eligible but still can't get a shot appointment. I'm NOT traveling anywhere to get one, either.
Closed Thread