Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #361
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes and the alternative mentioned was a recent negative test. Presumably the hope is that regular tests would be so inconvenient that most will take the vaccine.

02-24-2021, 02:15 PM - 3 Likes   #362
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by internetuser Quote
Lab rats talking about being lab rats. Insane.
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Those who delude themselves into believing they’ve been given access to a “special truth” that has no basis in verifiable fact aren’t insane – just gullible.
I suppose I was a “lab rat” when my class was part of the test of Sauk’s polio vaccine - but that was over sixty years ago.
By the time I received the Moderna Covid vaccine, it had already been tested, already found to be safe and effective,
and I was merely taking my place in a line of those receiving it - nothing special at all - like eating my morning oatmeal.

Yes, there was a possibility of my passing out, but one time that occurred after I had a supper consisting of pizza and salad.
02-24-2021, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #363
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Yes and the alternative mentioned was a recent negative test. Presumably the hope is that regular tests would be so inconvenient that most will take the vaccine.
I had to have a test taken on Monday. My employer has a zero tolerance policy towards anything that might even remotely be covid. I have seasonal allergies which started acting up a bit.
The runny nose was enough to send me home.
They stick the swab up your nose far enough to extract brain tissue. It is a thoroughly unpleasant experience.
02-24-2021, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #364
Pentaxian

UNFORTUNATELY, there will always be, as there are always have been, "sheep" who will follow whichever is the most "attractive cr@p" they are fed by whatever route is most the most influential means at the time in question - and the less well educated those "sheep" are, then the more likely it is that they will believe it.

T'was ever thus, and - again very unfortunately - the same will be true in the future until the majority of the World's population is far better educated than it currently is

PS: now nearly 4 weeks since we both got our first Pfizer Biontec jabs -> minor reactions on the day or the day after, and then a sore arm for me a couple days ago, but otherwise everything is fine

Last edited by jeallen01; 02-24-2021 at 03:35 PM.
02-24-2021, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #365
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
They stick the swab up your nose far enough to extract brain tissue. It is a thoroughly unpleasant experience.
Yes it is - I was tested before minor surgery.
02-24-2021, 07:01 PM - 2 Likes   #366
Veteran Member

I had to have a test taken on Monday. My employer has a zero tolerance policy towards anything that might even remotely be covid. I have seasonal allergies which started acting up a bit.
The runny nose was enough to send me home.
I have been tested twice now once when I came down with a cold after some twat without a mask sneezed on me on transit the next time after someone I work with came down with it in October and I had seen them the day before. I left for bc . Both negative. Definitely a little uncomfortable but not as bad as many told me. For the past two weeks at work our whole F&B operation has been shut down as one of the managers tested positive. Fortunately I had no contact.

---------- Post added 24th Feb 2021 at 21:01 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Congratulations! Only six posts and already you've made my Ignore List.
I think that's some kind of record...

Chris
I was thinking same thing .
02-25-2021, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #367
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wait... are you suggesting that people who are suspicious of an untested Big-Pharma vaccine are... sheep?

This planet needs an apocalypse. Stat.
The vaccines are tested -- significantly more than a lot of supplements and other products on the market. Post Hoc analysis is ongoing as well. So far issues have been mainly body aches, fatigue and low grade fevers for a couple of days. Anaphylaxis occurs in 4 to 5 people per million doses given. Deaths have been reviewed and to this point are not related to the vaccinations (this is the CDC reviewing, not "Big Pharma"). Selected Adverse Events Reported after COVID-19 Vaccination | CDC

If you don't want the vaccine, don't get it. It does have quite a bit more testing than what you think.

02-25-2021, 03:59 AM   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you don't want the vaccine, don't get it.
Unfortunately this lets selfish people reap the benefits of herd immunity while they don't have to even be slightly inconvenienced.
02-25-2021, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #369
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mandatory vaccine passports for a flu-like illness with a 0.03% mortality rate is nothing remotely resembling a "reasonable path," and anyone who suggests otherwise is a lunatic.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you .03 percent mortality rate is just not accurate. IFR is probably somewhere between 0.65 and 0.7 percent. This is an amazingly hard number to pin down, because it varies widely based on age. Countries that have a very low median age have low IFRs. IFR is extremely low for young people and over 5 percent in people over 70. CDC estimates COVID-19 fatality rate, including asymptomatic cases

As far as your flu comment, it is meaningless. There is some flu around, but not much. This merely speaks to (a) how much more contagious COVID is than flu and (b) the fact that respiratory precautions are extremely effective at preventing the spread of influenza.
02-25-2021, 04:33 AM   #370
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you .03 percent mortality rate is just not accurate. IFR is probably somewhere between 0.65 and 0.7 percent. This is an amazingly hard number to pin down, because it varies widely based on age. Countries that have a very low median age have low IFRs. IFR is extremely low for young people and over 5 percent in people over 70. CDC estimates COVID-19 fatality rate, including asymptomatic cases

As far as your flu comment, it is meaningless. There is some flu around, but not much. This merely speaks to (a) how much more contagious COVID is than flu and (b) the fact that respiratory precautions are extremely effective at preventing the spread of influenza.
The worst part is that 0.7% estimate mostly assumes that the positives are underreported while deaths are accurate - it's not always* the case and we won't really know until it's over I think. Mortality in several European countries far exceeded the reported Covid deaths, and that's without even taking into account that traffic accidents and other respiratory illness deaths were trending down massively because of the lockdown.

Asian countries have normalized wearing masks and other measures since SARS, they know it works well for most respiratory illnesses.

*It's absolutely obvious that cases are underreported much more than deaths, but the quantification can make the numbers dance up and down quite a fair bit.
02-25-2021, 04:34 AM - 2 Likes   #371
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please. Settle down a bit. Lock downs ease when cases and hospitalizations fall and not before. When hospital ICUs and ERs are overwhelmed to the point that EMS crews are waiting hours to drop off patients, everything is going to shut down. No one wants that. Everyone really wants to be in New Zealand's situation where aggressive measures were taken and they can no operate very normally.

In the long run, I see that happening when we get herd immunity, which will happen when the combination of vaccinated folks plus recently infected folks hits 60 percent (probably end of April to May in the US). Path to Herd Immunity - COVID-19 Vaccine Projections | COVID-19 Projections Using Machine Learning
02-25-2021, 09:40 AM - 2 Likes   #372
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Unfortunately this lets selfish people reap the benefits of herd immunity while they don't have to even be slightly inconvenienced.
That's fine, they will also be the first to get sick and possibly die because herd immunity doesn't mean the virus isn't active in the population, it just means it has a hard time gaining significant traction.
The anti vaxers are playing Russian Roulette. That's their choice. It's also their choice to make the decision based on whatever ignorance they care to operate under.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink, or, as my father used to say, you can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.
02-25-2021, 09:48 AM - 3 Likes   #373
Pentaxian

My wife - who has a PhD in chemistry - waited and waited until our Governor lowered the age limit to the point where she was eligible.
Even then, she had to wait several weeks for her appointment.
Our teachers are threatening to strike because eligibility here is strictly by age.
If someone is stupid enough to reject vaccination, that leaves a dose for those who do want it.
02-25-2021, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #374
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's fine, they will also be the first to get sick and possibly die because herd immunity doesn't mean the virus isn't active in the population, it just means it has a hard time gaining significant traction.
The anti vaxers are playing Russian Roulette. That's their choice. It's also their choice to make the decision based on whatever ignorance they care to operate under.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink, or, as my father used to say, you can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.
I know - but it also increases the chance of vaccinated (or, more likely, patients who cannot be vaccinated due to other conditions - although vaccine immunity could potentially be overcome) suffering from it. That's what angers me the most.
02-25-2021, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #375
Loyal Site Supporter

Japan has had that issue for literal centuries before Covid.
You should definitely stop using the internet, but, again, not for the reasons you think.

Good luck with your life, wear a mask, and avoid infecting others if you refuse to vaccinate.

By the way, how does an illness that has killed 0.15% of a country's population have a 0.03% mortality rate? Is it magic? Or is it denial?
My math might be off, but the USA, the country that is handling the pandemic about as poorly as is possible has a 1.78% death rate, and an overall mortality of .153%. This presumes accurate information from the CDC, which also presumes states like Florida and Texas are reporting accurately, which they probably aren't.

I was talking to an ICU nurse a couple of weeks ago. She has been working 12 hour days with few breaks since the pandemic came to town in a big way early last summer (we were fortunate in that we got off to a late start).
She indicated that what she would like more than anything else is more than 12 hours off at a time, and indicated that anyone who doubts that there really is a pandemic should visit a hospital for a quick education.

---------- Post added Feb 25th, 2021 at 12:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is not a "crime against humanity" - certainly nothing like the Holocaust {which certainly did happen.
The crime against humanity is being perpetrated by the covidiots who are insisting it is their right to endanger the lives of those around them.
Closed Thread