Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2021, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #406
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
J and J vaccine will be out and about starting this week. With no requirement for freezer storage I think this should speed up things. I have seen uptick of new cases in our area the last 7 days.
That should speed things up in mass vaccinations. Not as good as the other vaccines, but not very bad either (66% Effective Overall at Preventing Moderate to Severe COVID-19, 28 Days after Vaccination).

03-01-2021, 02:15 AM   #407
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have seen uptick of new cases in our area the last 7 days.
Sun's out here and yesterday the city park was *packed*. Unsurprisingly, cases have started ticking up after a steady decline since Christmas...
03-01-2021, 03:37 AM   #408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pfizer apparently has done further testing and is asking that the extra cold temperature storage requirement for their vaccine be relaxed and be more similar to the Moderna vaccine: https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2021-02-19/pfizer-submits-data-showi...r-temperatures

---------- Post added 03-01-21 at 05:40 AM ----------

J and J vaccine will be out and about starting this week. With no requirement for freezer storage I think this should speed up things. I have seen uptick of new cases in our area the last 7 days.
It will help, although it didn't sound like they had a bunch of doses ready to go -- I had read that they hoped to ship 20 million doses by the end of March The Latest: First US J&J vaccine doses shipping Sunday night I had hoped that they would have more doses than that ready to go, but I guess the process of getting millions of doses of vaccine ready takes time.

---------- Post added 03-01-21 at 05:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
That should speed things up in mass vaccinations. Not as good as the other vaccines, but not very bad either (66% Effective Overall at Preventing Moderate to Severe COVID-19, 28 Days after Vaccination).
The interesting thing is that data is showing Pfizer's vaccine to be over 80 percent effective two weeks after the first dose. Study in Israel shows Pfizer vaccine 85% effective after first dose: The Lancet A lot of folks are talking about whether we need to put off second doses for a couple of months, since the first doses are this good and just try to get as many people as possible first doses.
03-01-2021, 03:50 AM   #409
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A lot of folks are talking about whether we need to put off second doses for a couple of months, since the first doses are this good and just try to get as many people as possible first doses.
In Europe several countries have postponed the second shot from two to twelve weeks.

03-01-2021, 04:07 AM   #410
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The interesting thing is that data is showing Pfizer's vaccine to be over 80 percent effective two weeks after the first dose. Study in Israel shows Pfizer vaccine 85% effective after first dose: The Lancet A lot of folks are talking about whether we need to put off second doses for a couple of months, since the first doses are this good and just try to get as many people as possible first doses.
In the UK I won't receive my 2nd pfizer dose until 12 weeks later. There seems to be increasing evidence that this is an effective way to get the population vaccinated. So far 20 million people in the UK have had their first dose, 30% of the adult population and the four priority groups by age, so everyone over 50, will be vaccinated end of March. At some point things will slow down as the second dose has to be administered but the current bottleneck is supply of vaccine not the rollout of it and they're still managing half a million a day. There is increasing optimism here that things are on the up, tempered by caution and sobered by the death rate and the strain on the NHS. Some worry about different strains but the attempt to test and isolate for those strains is looking increasingly effective.

Of course it also helps that spring is in the air and the rain is getting warmer!
03-01-2021, 04:17 AM   #411
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
In the UK I won't receive my 2nd pfizer dose until 12 weeks later. There seems to be increasing evidence that this is an effective way to get the population vaccinated. So far 20 million people in the UK have had their first dose, 30% of the adult population and the four priority groups by age, so everyone over 50, will be vaccinated end of March. At some point things will slow down as the second dose has to be administered but the current bottleneck is supply of vaccine not the rollout of it and they're still managing half a million a day. There is increasing optimism here that things are on the up, tempered by caution and sobered by the death rate and the strain on the NHS. Some worry about different strains but the attempt to test and isolate for those strains is looking increasingly effective.

Of course it also helps that spring is in the air and the rain is getting warmer!
Yup the latest news is that of the 6 cases of the Brazilian strain one can't be traced because they didn't fill a form in. Surely this is checked before they are allowed to leave the airport.

03-01-2021, 04:19 AM   #412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote

We're sort of tied to what the CDC recommends. I think in the UK, the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are used interchangeably (seems reasonable) but here, if you got a particular vaccine you have to get your booster from the same maker. The CDC is following very tightly to what the brands tested in their trials.

We are vaccinating nearly 1.5 million people a day, so that is a plus. The CDC now has much more data on their website about a variety of things: hospitalizations, vaccinations, long term care facilities, etc. CDC COVID Data Tracker

I think the thing to remember about the vaccine schedules was that the companies used booster schedules that were quite compressed in order to complete the schedule as quickly as possible and get the studies completed. That doesn't mean that those are the ideal schedules from an immunity standpoint and it seems likely that putting 10 to 12 weeks between doses is at least as effective as the three to four week schedule.

Of course, none of this applies to the Johnson and Johnson vaccine since it is a single dose.

03-01-2021, 04:40 AM   #413
Pentaxian

We're sort of tied to what the CDC recommends. I think in the UK, the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are used interchangeably (seems reasonable) but here, if you got a particular vaccine you have to get your booster from the same maker. The CDC is following very tightly to what the brands tested in their trials.

We are vaccinating nearly 1.5 million people a day, so that is a plus. The CDC now has much more data on their website about a variety of things: hospitalizations, vaccinations, long term care facilities, etc. CDC COVID Data Tracker

I think the thing to remember about the vaccine schedules was that the companies used booster schedules that were quite compressed in order to complete the schedule as quickly as possible and get the studies completed. That doesn't mean that those are the ideal schedules from an immunity standpoint and it seems likely that putting 10 to 12 weeks between doses is at least as effective as the three to four week schedule.

Of course, none of this applies to the Johnson and Johnson vaccine since it is a single dose.
I don't think anyone in the UK has been given the Moderna vaccine yet but is has been approved as two doses 28 days apart, although both the Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccines are being given 12 weeks apart.
I am sure I read somewhere that tests are being done to determine the effect of giving the second shot with an alternative vaccine. It may even be more effective.

03-01-2021, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #414
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
From what I have seen, read & heard, getting a decent "reaction" to a vaccine jab means that your body's immune system has "noticed it" - and that is "good" because it then begins to generate the antibodies required to fight the real COVID virus.
I think I reported earlier that we got our 1st doses of the Pfizer-Biontec vaccine about 4-5 weeks ago and will have to wait another 6 weeks or so before the 2nd ones.

Nevertheless the NHS & our local council seem to have got their "knickers in a twist" as follows:Last Friday, I got an NHS email to tell me that I have now been classed as a "vulnerable" person, then the same in a letter on Saturday - and now the same again in an email today from the council!

That info told me that I should be "shielding", but much as that may be "all well and good" in itself, WHY has it taken them NEARLY a year to decide to tell me this as nobody had specifically stated that before last week!

Also, my wife is 72 and a Type 1 diabetic with asthma - but she has NEVER received that recommendation since the pandemic began!

OTOH, this isn't going to actually make much, if any, difference to how we "operate" and go about our lives - which has been "pretty much shielding" since mid March last year, apart from a few carefully planned and executed shopping and "days out" expeditions, and my twice-weekly outdoor "click & collect" trips for the weekly shopping at local supermarkets.

Simply put, we managed to avoid the virus for the 9+ months before our 1st jabs and the few weeks since then - and so now, with the rapidly falling infection & hospitalization rates and assuming we continue to take the same precautions in the foreseeable future, we consider that we should still be "reasonably safe" to carry on as before (unless of course, we did decide to fully stay indoors at home, go even more stir-crazy and then strangle one-another!)
03-01-2021, 07:35 AM   #415
Pentaxian

I know that research has started on mixing first and second doses using different manufacturers. The results will be interesting but I don't imagine we'll start to see them for weeks or months yet.
03-01-2021, 08:02 AM   #416
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I think I reported earlier that we got our 1st doses of the Pfizer-Biontec vaccine about 4-5 weeks ago and will have to wait another 6 weeks or so before the 2nd ones.

Nevertheless the NHS & our local council seem to have got their "knickers in a twist" as follows:Last Friday, I got an NHS email to tell me that I have now been classed as a "vulnerable" person, then the same in a letter on Saturday - and now the same again in an email today from the council!

That info told me that I should be "shielding", but much as that may be "all well and good" in itself, WHY has it taken them NEARLY a year to decide to tell me this as nobody had specifically stated that before last week!

Also, my wife is 72 and a Type 1 diabetic with asthma - but she has NEVER received that recommendation since the pandemic began!

OTOH, this isn't going to actually make much, if any, difference to how we "operate" and go about our lives - which has been "pretty much shielding" since mid March last year, apart from a few carefully planned and executed shopping and "days out" expeditions, and my twice-weekly outdoor "click & collect" trips for the weekly shopping at local supermarkets.

Simply put, we managed to avoid the virus for the 9+ months before our 1st jabs and the few weeks since then - and so now, with the rapidly falling infection & hospitalization rates and assuming we continue to take the same precautions in the foreseeable future, we consider that we should still be "reasonably safe" to carry on as before (unless of course, we did decide to fully stay indoors at home, go even more stir-crazy and then strangle one-another!)
We haven't received any official mail on the subject, but our state's Governor has held a briefing every Wednesday since he announced a "shutdown" in mid-March last year. My wife had some masks left over from when she had "aplastic anemial" several years ago, then my sister made masks - and shipped them to us - by the end of the month, so we have still gone grocery shopping every Monday .... the only difference being that I stayed out in the car most of the time, and we bought takeout supper instead of eating in at our local fast food joint. My wife has been more careful about eating out and visiting with friends, but there has actually been very little difference in my life over the past year.

Now, I received my first shot four weeks ago, and am scheduled to receive my second on Thursday. My wife received her first one last week - then she expects us to relax our standards.
03-01-2021, 06:01 PM - 5 Likes   #417
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got an appointment for Friday for my wife and me today. It’s a 3 1/2 hour drive but we’re doing it. We’re both in Tier1-b - immuno-compromised and over 65 - so we’re eligible now, but ineligible people with connections keep jumping the line. It took me two full days of on-line searching to get an appointment.
03-01-2021, 07:20 PM - 2 Likes   #418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I got an appointment for Friday for my wife and me today. It’s a 3 1/2 hour drive but we’re doing it. We’re both in Tier1-b - immuno-compromised and over 65 - so we’re eligible now, but ineligible people with connections keep jumping the line. It took me two full days of on-line searching to get an appointment.
I’m glad you got an appointment!!
03-02-2021, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It’s good that you’re in line for a vaccination, but it’s terrible that people can push in like that. I know that this is the way the world works in some places, but we neither have to like nor accept it.

No news here on my vaccination time, and I’m in a similar category, but we’re thankfully not in anything like the same strife here in Oz.
03-02-2021, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #420
Pentaxian

Received my 2nd shot yesterday (Moderna). So far, and just like the first, a sore shoulder is my only side effect.
Closed Thread