Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2021, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #421
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I got an appointment for Friday for my wife and me today. It’s a 3 1/2 hour drive but we’re doing it. We’re both in Tier1-b - immuno-compromised and over 65 - so we’re eligible now, but ineligible people with connections keep jumping the line. It took me two full days of on-line searching to get an appointment.
Wife and I got our first shots last week at Mercy on Ballas Rd. A group on FB called St. Louis and Eastern Missouri COVID-19 Vaccine Info, helped.
When I joined the group on Feb. 20 it had 5K members, after an article about it in the paper there's now 24K members.
Our area is supposed to get 50K doses of J&J this week,

03-02-2021, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #422
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Our county just got an additional allocation of shots for seniors over 65 with much fanfare from our NY State health dept. How many shots? 100. Yep, almost a joke. It will be a long time before before us upstaters get any vaccine.
03-02-2021, 07:34 AM   #423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Our county just got an additional allocation of shots for seniors over 65 with much fanfare from our NY State health dept. How many shots? 100. Yep, almost a joke. It will be a long time before before us upstaters get any vaccine.
This almost sounds dystopian

Meanwhile, Germany is vaccinating at a snail's pace.
03-02-2021, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #424
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Meanwhile, Germany is vaccinating at a snail's pace.
Each person vaccinated is an additional person who won't clog hospitals and who won't spread the disease.

03-02-2021, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #425
Pentaxian

Just got first dose of Pfizer an hour ago. <insert thumbs-up>
03-02-2021, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #426
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
That should speed things up in mass vaccinations. Not as good as the other vaccines, but not very bad either (66% Effective Overall at Preventing Moderate to Severe COVID-19, 28 Days after Vaccination).
Considering that no deaths or severe disease that require hospitalization I think it’s very promising. My parents got the second dose last week. So relieved.
03-02-2021, 10:34 PM   #427
Veteran Member

Just ONE person in my family or extended family has been vaccinated so far, a 70+ person in the UK. Even a 75+ person with cancer in Finland is getting the first shot two weeks from now. What a mess it is over here.

03-03-2021, 07:15 AM   #428
Pentaxian

It's going really, really slowly in the whole of Europe I think. There are supply problems but I don't think that's the main reason, I think the big problem is bureaucracy.
03-03-2021, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #429
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Wife and I got our first shots last week at Mercy on Ballas Rd. A group on FB called St. Louis and Eastern Missouri COVID-19 Vaccine Info, helped.
When I joined the group on Feb. 20 it had 5K members, after an article about it in the paper there's now 24K members.
Our area is supposed to get 50K doses of J&J this week,
St. Louis City and County combined receive 50% of the doses Missouri receives. Unfortunately the St. Louis area system isn’t doing a decent job communicating, so people are frustrated. I’d be content and more patient if I knew my place in line and approximate date - but it is a black hole. I don’t know whether they can’t tell us or won’t tell us. We’re not even getting notice of Mass Vaccination events, which are supposed to be broadly advertised.

Consequently people are forced to search for openings outside the area, form FB Groups, call friends, and pull personal connection strings to get appointments. I can’t knowingly fault anyone (certainly not the State) but at best the City/County Health Departments aren’t up to the task. BJC and Mercy are doing better, but that attracts “dose shoppers” which backs them up even more.

I do blame the media for over-hyping the whole thing. Next week is the one year anniversary of Two Weeks To Flatten The Curve.
03-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #430
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I’m glad you got an appointment!!
TY. Both Appointments are set.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It’s good that you’re in line for a vaccination, but it’s terrible that people can push in like that. I know that this is the way the world works in some places, but we neither have to like nor accept it.

No news here on my vaccination time, and I’m in a similar category, but we’re thankfully not in anything like the same strife here in Oz.
At a point we just decided to take responsibility for ourselves. Small indicator of civil breakdown. IOW the populous can’t trust the system to be fair and equitable, or at least efficient.

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Received my 2nd shot yesterday (Moderna). So far, and just like the first, a sore shoulder is my only side effect.
Good to hear.
03-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #431
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Consequently people are forced to search for openings outside the area, form FB Groups, call friends, and pull personal connection strings to get appointments. I can’t knowingly fault anyone (certainly not the State) but at best the City/County Health Departments aren’t up to the task. BJC and Mercy are doing better, but that attracts “dose shoppers” which backs them up even more.

I do blame the media for over-hyping the whole thing. Next week is the one year anniversary of Two Weeks To Flatten The Curve.
Our government officials are doing a great job of communicating who can receive the shots, and where they are given, and our media are doing a good job of relaying the facts.
03-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #432
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
It's going really, really slowly in the whole of Europe I think. There are supply problems but I don't think that's the main reason, I think the big problem is bureaucracy.
In some countries there may be too much red tape and in some people don't want to take the AstraZeneca due to the initial worse expected results, especially for people over 65-70. But in many EU countries almost every single dose received has been used. They just aren't available. EU has really dropped the ball in this game. The 450 Million people economy is waiting in line to see if we can get some vaccines after everybody in the US and UK have received theirs.
03-03-2021, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #433
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
In some countries there may be too much red tape and in some people don't want to take the AstraZeneca due to the initial worse expected results, especially for people over 65-70. But in many EU countries almost every single dose received has been used. They just aren't available. EU has really dropped the ball in this game. The 450 Million people economy is waiting in line to see if we can get some vaccines after everybody in the US and UK have received theirs.
The Pfizer production lines are still under construction AFAIK, should ramp up production this month by a lot... and AZ is serving the UK first. The EU should start tightening some screws... at this rate I'll get the vaccine in [checks calendar] 4 years. I'm not even joking - Germany has applied about 6 million doses, in two months, for a country that needs 170 million.
03-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #434
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The Pfizer production lines are still under construction AFAIK, should ramp up production this month by a lot... and AZ is serving the UK first. The EU should start tightening some screws... at this rate I'll get the vaccine in [checks calendar] 4 years. I'm not even joking - Germany has applied about 6 million doses, in two months, for a country that needs 170 million.
Canada has similar issues, a couple of previous conservative governments sold off domestic vaccine business and decimated the science sector for support, it is a mess then the current liberal government was slow to commit leaving us further down the line. add in short shipments and at 62 i figure i will get mine by Christmas
03-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #435
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got on a wait list with my medical insurance company on 2/8. I didn't expect much because I was in Phase 3, the mob. Colorado just jumbled the rules for the fifth time, so I'm in Phase 1B4, over 50, tentative start date 3/21. I called to find out where that puts me on the wait list: number 37,000 something.

Now that I have an official Phase, I should be able to get on some more lists. My former colleagues in the mob aren't so lucky. The state expects to get 354,900 doses from 3/21-3/28, up about 100K from now.
Closed Thread