Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #436
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Canada has similar issues, a couple of previous conservative governments sold off domestic vaccine business and decimated the science sector for support, it is a mess then the current liberal government was slow to commit leaving us further down the line. add in short shipments and at 62 i figure i will get mine by Christmas
Our Feds made the mistake of teaming up with SinoPharm early on. Consequently, when the Chinese government decided to play politics with lives and abrogated the agreement between the Canadian government and SinoPharm, we got screwed.
Now we are at the back of the line, waiting for every other country that manufactures vaccines to finish their populations.
Apparently the American President threatened to invoke some sort of war measures act in the last couple of days that is forcing companies to ramp up production with the intent of having the entire population of the USA fully inoculated by the end if May.
If they are feeling generous, we might actually do fairly well. I expect their production could do all of Canada in a couple of weeks. With luck, we might get our population done by July.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 03-03-2021 at 04:46 PM.
03-04-2021, 03:55 AM   #437
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know how much it will help, but Merck has said they are going to start manufacturing J and J's vaccine to help with production amounts. Certainly supply improvement, combined with the fact that it is a single dose series should speed the process at least a bit. Merck Will Help Manufacture Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 Vaccine : Coronavirus Updates : NPR
03-04-2021, 07:13 AM   #438
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Our Feds made the mistake of teaming up with SinoPharm early on. Consequently, when the Chinese government decided to play politics with lives and abrogated the agreement between the Canadian government and SinoPharm, we got screwed.
Now we are at the back of the line, waiting for every other country that manufactures vaccines to finish their populations.
Apparently the American President threatened to invoke some sort of war measures act in the last couple of days that is forcing companies to ramp up production with the intent of having the entire population of the USA fully inoculated by the end if May.
Nothing mysterious here. Dating back to the 1940’s, the US President can order certain companies to produce certain things. The former President had GM and Ford producing ventilators in the past twelve months - for example - but, frankly, they would rather use persuasion and dollars to get what they want. The former President purchased 100 million doses of Pfizer’s vaccine - for example - he might have wanted more, but Pfizer said they had to devote some production to other countries. In Indiana, the Governor arranged for companies to produce PPE, then put the products on a web site for sale.
03-04-2021, 07:26 AM   #439
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know how much it will help, but Merck has said they are going to start manufacturing J and J's vaccine to help with production amounts. Certainly supply improvement, combined with the fact that it is a single dose series should speed the process at least a bit. Merck Will Help Manufacture Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 Vaccine : Coronavirus Updates : NPR
The Pfizer vaccine is ‘finished’ at a plant in Southern Michigan, within a school bus drive from here {yes, we - the Science Club - toured it when I was in high school}. The Moderna vaccine comes from a McKesson plant in Mississippi, and the original J&J production was at another McKesson plant in Kentucky. I don’t know what these plants normally produce, but the drug industry is known for making good profits, so I’m sure they produce something. By June, they will be producing vaccine adjusted for Covid ‘variants’ - some for export, and perhaps some for ‘booster shots’. There is more hope for J&J, since they have standard vaccine storage requirement.

03-04-2021, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #440
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Just ONE person in my family or extended family has been vaccinated so far, a 70+ person in the UK. Even a 75+ person with cancer in Finland is getting the first shot two weeks from now. What a mess it is over here.
It really is an interesting phenomena in that as bad as this has been, you would think that everybody will be "all hands on deck" immunizing the crap out of people, even mobilizing military etc. If you consider the efficacy of influenza vaccine in certain years hat hovers in teens in terms of percentage, having 95% efficacy for mRNA vaccine is really out of this world. Having seen the apocalypse unclose - I just don't get this complacency. So weird.
03-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #441
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
It really is an interesting phenomena in that as bad as this has been, you would think that everybody will be "all hands on deck" immunizing the crap out of people, even mobilizing military etc. If you consider the efficacy of influenza vaccine in certain years hat hovers in teens in terms of percentage, having 95% efficacy for mRNA vaccine is really out of this world. Having seen the apocalypse unclose - I just don't get this complacency. So weird.
There are historical and political forces at work in our country that seem to be getting in the way.
My view is that as long as a vaccine is available for me - I leave in a few minutes to get my 2nd shot - I will set a good example and hope that others will follow.
03-04-2021, 10:17 AM   #442
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The Pfizer vaccine is ‘finished’ at a plant in Southern Michigan, within a school bus drive from here {yes, we - the Science Club - toured it when I was in high school}. The Moderna vaccine comes from a McKesson plant in Mississippi, and the original J&J production was at another McKesson plant in Kentucky. I don’t know what these plants normally produce, but the drug industry is known for making good profits, so I’m sure they produce something. By June, they will be producing vaccine adjusted for Covid ‘variants’ - some for export, and perhaps some for ‘booster shots’. There is more hope for J&J, since they have standard vaccine storage requirement.
I think with the style of vaccine it is going to be easier to tweak the mRNA vaccines than the Astra Zeneca or Johnson and Johnson (they can be tweaked, but it is a more involved process).

03-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #443
Pentaxian

Incidentally, I’m ready to leave the place 15minutes after getting my second shot!!
03-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #444
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Incidentally, I’m ready to leave the place 15minutes after getting my second shot!!
I received email after my '15 minutes' were up
Attached Images

03-05-2021, 11:57 AM   #445
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Our county just got an additional allocation of shots for seniors over 65 with much fanfare from our NY State health dept. How many shots? 100. Yep, almost a joke. It will be a long time before before us upstaters get any vaccine.
It does seem that there’s a hidden qualification metric, doesn’t it?
03-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #446
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Indiana is now allowing those 50 and up to register, and that does seem to apply to all counties.
The student nurse who gave my second shot {yesterday}, laughed when I described lunging across the room to this computer almost as soon as the words were out of the Governor's mouth saying I was now eligible - but even then, I had to wait several weeks for the appointment I made.

Last edited by reh321; 03-05-2021 at 12:37 PM.
03-05-2021, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #447
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Finally, I was able to get a shot. My doctor emailed me Wednesday that there would be doses of the Pfizer vaccine available to her senior patients. I signed up and got the shot this morning. I get the second dose on the 24th. I guess you just have to be persistent and be available on very short notice.

The problem around here is that we are a lower population area and NY is allocating doses based on population. After the initial outcry of only getting 100 doses, they got a shipment of 1100 doses. It's still just a drop in the bucket compared to the overall population of the area.
03-05-2021, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #448
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I got my second dose (Pfizer) two days ago and am doing pretty well as far as side effects so far.

Steve
03-05-2021, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #449
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Got Moderna #2 today, thankfully, and hopefully sore arm is all that comes. Two hours in, not even that yet.
03-05-2021, 04:01 PM   #450

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye it was the a first time for me... due to me now being on a NHS "Hit List" (collapsed lung earlier this year).

Not fancying the prospect of Flu for Xmas, as a result of this jag...
Why would you think you would get the flu because you had a Covid-19 vaccine shot?
Closed Thread