Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2021, 07:16 AM   #466
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I finally got an email from Missouri offering me an appointment at a list of seventeen county mass vaccination events. The nearest event is a 90 minute drive, the farthest four and a half hours. No events were listed in my area.

Though I am eligible to receive the vaccine by age and condition, my local county still has not offered an open mass vaccination event and still has not sent me any emails. That is why people here are taking matters into their own hands. We know our area receives half of the doses sent to Missouri but our area health departments are allowing more appointments for favored groups and areas rather than offering open appointments for everyone eligible.

03-08-2021, 07:51 AM   #467
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I finally got an email from Missouri offering me an appointment at a list of seventeen county mass vaccination events. The nearest event is a 90 minute drive, the farthest four and a half hours. No events were listed in my area.

Though I am eligible to receive the vaccine by age and condition, my local county still has not offered an open mass vaccination event and still has not sent me any emails. That is why people here are taking matters into their own hands. We know our area receives half of the doses sent to Missouri but our area health departments are allowing more appointments for favored groups and areas rather than offering open appointments for everyone eligible.
Indiana has always - since vaccinating started - had a policy based on hospitalization rate and mortality.
Since the early days of vaccinations, each county operates at least one center to dole out their share.
They also had teams that went from nursing-home to nursing-home - they also included medical professionals in the first group.

They announce what the policy is and provide an app which locates the nearest centers to make reservations - a person can call '211' if s/he is computer illiterate.
Usually eligibility is simply age related, and each center checks driver's license to verify eligibility.
Now they are including some medical conditions, using a list provided by personal physicians.
The system seems to work well.
03-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #468
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Indiana has always - since vaccinating started - had a policy based on hospitalization rate and mortality.
Since the early days of vaccinations, each county operates at least one center to dole out their share.
They also had teams that went from nursing-home to nursing-home - they also included medical professionals in the first group.

They announce what the policy is and provide an app which locates the nearest centers to make reservations - a person can call '211' if s/he is computer illiterate.
Usually eligibility is simply age related, and each center checks driver's license to verify eligibility.
Now they are including some medical conditions, using a list provided by personal physicians.
The system seems to work well.
I researched what is happening here.

St.. Louis County has decided to concentrate appointments in areas with the highest testing positivity rate and morbidity rate, as is their right under the Missouri Guidelines. I happen to live in a Zip Code with one of the lowest positivity rates in the State, so my wife and I are de-prioritized within our eligibility group. Anyone in the State who is eligible to receive the vaccine - by age and a list of published conditions and occupations - can make an appointment anywhere in the State, which is why the State sent me the email offering appointments from 90 minutes to four and a half hours away.

In effect, those areas where residents have been responsible and followed the rules are selectively penalized versus areas where people were irresponsible and broke the rules. We are then incentivized to find our own appointments. Those of us who find another county opening just drive there.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-08-2021 at 08:17 AM.
03-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #469
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had my second Pfizer shot yesterday. According to the CDC, in two weeks I could visit my grandkids only they're 1800 mi away in Texas. I won't be going there anytime soon as they're now 100% open. I'll wait until most folks are vaccinated.

03-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #470
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I had my second Pfizer shot yesterday. According to the CDC, in two weeks I could visit my grandkids only they're 1800 mi away in Texas. I won't be going there anytime soon as they're now 100% open. I'll wait until most folks are vaccinated.
My wife is doing the same calculations vis-a-vis her Mother, who is at a nursing home 2000+ miles away in California.
She is scheduled to get get second {Pfizer} shot in two weeks.
So far, neither of us has had a serious reaction {I had my second Moderna shot a week ago}
03-11-2021, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #471
Loyal Site Supporter

St.. Louis County has decided to concentrate appointments in areas with the highest testing positivity rate and morbidity rate, as is their right under the Missouri Guidelines. I happen to live in a Zip Code with one of the lowest positivity rates in the State, so my wife and I are de-prioritized within our eligibility group. Anyone in the State who is eligible to receive the vaccine - by age and a list of published conditions and occupations - can make an appointment anywhere in the State, which is why the State sent me the email offering appointments from 90 minutes to four and a half hours away.

In effect, those areas where residents have been responsible and followed the rules are selectively penalized versus areas where people were irresponsible and broke the rules. We are then incentivized to find our own appointments. Those of us who find another county opening just drive there.
Or, those residents in areas that have been more affected by the virus through no fault of their own because they happen to live in socio economic areas that place them at much higher risk are being targeted by vaccinations in order to keep mortality down and to keep as much pressure as possible off the health care system.
It is very easy to judge people poorly when one is sitting outside of their lives and only looking in deep enough to see the superficiality that one wants to see.

---------- Post added Mar 11th, 2021 at 10:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My wife is doing the same calculations vis-a-vis her Mother, who is at a nursing home 2000+ miles away in California.
She is scheduled to get get second {Pfizer} shot in two weeks.
So far, neither of us has had a serious reaction {I had my second Moderna shot a week ago}
Things are looking up here. It's looking like I will start the vaccination process by mid April.
03-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #472
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Or, those residents in areas that have been more affected by the virus through no fault of their own because they happen to live in socio economic areas that place them at much higher risk are being targeted by vaccinations in order to keep mortality down and to keep as much pressure as possible off the health care system.
It is very easy to judge people poorly when one is sitting outside of their lives and only looking in deep enough to see the superficiality that one wants to see.

---------- Post added Mar 11th, 2021 at 10:08 AM ----------

Things are looking up here. It's looking like I will start the vaccination process by mid April.
I am now on waitlists at Costco and Rexall for the Astro Zenaca which is being allocated for 60-65 in Ontario. whoever gives me a spot first ... I would register at shoppers but they are horrible for this stuff

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2021 at 11:31 ----------

not an entirely fair comment - locally here impoverished areas are the hardest hit, and it is not because they don't take care but down to the majority living in very close quarter situations and having to go out to work in low paying jobs to survive whether they are sick or not as they likely don't get sick pay and have no option to work from home. the poorest areas of Toronto have the highest rates due to this and neighbourhoods like mine are quite low because we have a few large buildings and the majority of people are working jobs they can do from home ...I imagine St Louis suffers the same issues

Last edited by eddie1960; 03-11-2021 at 09:31 AM.
03-11-2021, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #473
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I am now on waitlists at Costco and Rexall for the Astro Zenaca which is being allocated for 60-65 in Ontario. whoever gives me a spot first ... I would register at shoppers but they are horrible for this stuff

not an entirely fair comment locally here impoverished areas are the hardest hit, and it is not because they don't take care but down to the majority living in very close quarter situations and having to go out to work in low paying jobs to survive whether they are sick or not as they likely don't get sick pay and have no option to work from home. the poorest areas of Toronto have the highest rates due to this and neighbourhoods like mine are quite low because we have a few large buildings and the majority of people are working jobs they can do from home ...
Sask Heath is setting up a mass vaccination site about a mile from where I live, and will be taking online or phone bookings starting (I believe) this week for people 85 and older. I'm in the phase 2 age group, which they are expecting to start vaccinating early April.

I'm still hoping for either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, I expect the vaccines that don't require the really stringent storage will be shipped to outside of our population centers (which is about half the population of the province), leaving the ones that require really cold storage for the higher population centers.

It's easy to judge people who this virus hits, but the reality is, no one really wants to get sick. People who have to choose between getting paid and risking getting sick or not getting paid and starving on the street are in a lose lose situation.
Of course, there are the dopes who still believe there is nothing going on except for the machinations of a bunch of crisis actors, but they are becoming a dying minority.
03-11-2021, 09:55 AM   #474
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Sask Heath is setting up a mass vaccination site about a mile from where I live, and will be taking online or phone bookings starting (I believe) this week for people 85 and older. I'm in the phase 2 age group, which they are expecting to start vaccinating early April.

I'm still hoping for either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, I expect the vaccines that don't require the really stringent storage will be shipped to outside of our population centers (which is about half the population of the province), leaving the ones that require really cold storage for the higher population centers.

It's easy to judge people who this virus hits, but the reality is, no one really wants to get sick. People who have to choose between getting paid and risking getting sick or not getting paid and starving on the street are in a lose lose situation.
Of course, there are the dopes who still believe there is nothing going on except for the machinations of a bunch of crisis actors, but they are becoming a dying minority.
those dopes are out protesting weekly downtown. they hit the square at Yonge and Dundas every week and also do a march from the legislature through Kensington Market (and the Market people all hate them , on other days you will never see anyone in the market area without a mask (heck it is beside Chinatown masks are common every winter but on everyone this year)
03-11-2021, 10:33 AM   #475
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My phase is still supposed to start on March 21. One of the wait lists I'm on has a telephone number to check my position in line. Right now I'm #39157. I have been moving up about 500 spots a day, I assume as people find vaccines elsewhere. A snowstorm will cancel a lot of vaccination events so I'll probably stay here for a while.
03-11-2021, 04:02 PM   #476
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In USA each state has implemented its own program for vaccine distribution.
Hopefully the most (and least) successful will teach us how to do it next time.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

Chris
03-11-2021, 06:13 PM - 4 Likes   #477
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote

not an entirely fair comment - locally here impoverished areas are the hardest hit, and it is not because they don't take care but down to the majority living in very close quarter situations and having to go out to work in low paying jobs to survive whether they are sick or not as they likely don't get sick pay and have no option to work from home. the poorest areas of Toronto have the highest rates due to this and neighbourhoods like mine are quite low because we have a few large buildings and the majority of people are working jobs they can do from home ...I imagine St Louis suffers the same issues
it is a Totally fair comment.

The wealthiest Zip Code in the state, Top Twenty in the USA, has the highest positivity and morbidity in the state. These self-important @#$&*%s ignored the protocols, had cocktail parties, drank at the local bars and 19th Hole at their golf clubs and pool cabanas all summer. The first St Louis super-spreader event was caused by a wealthy family whose daughter came home from semester abroad in Italy last March with COVID. They ignored quarantine rules and attended a 400-person, black tie hih school charity ball. I personally knew an elderly couple who got the virus at that event and died. I know these people, my entire life. I’m not making this up.

The next highest area is 2-acre-lot ex-urb / suburbs. THEN you have the poverty areas. The wealthy, under fifty and healthy, pull strings and jump the list. Everybody “knows somebody” who knows about an open appointment. There are private Facebook Groups dedicated to finding appointments!

I’m not waiting for the system to get around to me any more. I’m taking responsibility for protecting myself and my in-remission wife.

I’m sick and tired of following protocols and being penalized for doing so.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-11-2021 at 06:33 PM.
03-12-2021, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #478
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Because humans always learn from the past and never repeat their mistakes?

03-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #479
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Yes - that’s Federalism. Each state is its own sovereign entity under our Constitution. There are comparatively few things the US national government can force a state to do.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

We built a stockpile of PPE after H1N1 - but Congress stopped funding that a few years ago and hospitals used up the gear. It isn’t so much learning from the past as it is the next generation (Congress) not forgetting what their predecessors learned.
03-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #480
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

Sometimes there are multiple demands on resources, and those making the decisions now are not the ones who lived through the last crisis.
Closed Thread