Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #481
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’m taking responsibility for protecting myself and my in-remission wife.
You always have to do that - others have other concerns.

03-12-2021, 10:42 AM   #482
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Sometimes there are multiple demands on resources, and those making the decisions now are not the ones who lived through the last crisis.
In some countries, it looks like the worst possible decisions were deliberately made by those in charge.
03-12-2021, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #483
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
In some countries, it looks like the worst possible decisions were deliberately made by those in charge.
I think the biggest failure by all but a very few national Governments was lack of preparation for an epidemic which was predicted in several quarters.

This really should have been dealt with by off the shelf planning rather than on the hoof.
03-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #484
Veteran Member

Next Friday I am scheduled for the single dose J and J vaccine. The rest of my immediate family has at least started their vaccination process. And one sister is working where they manufacture the J and J and Moderna versions. They have been running 3 shifts 24/7 365 including holidays since last year.

03-12-2021, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #485
Veteran Member

Got an jab of AstraZenaca booked for Monday morning
03-14-2021, 08:58 AM - 2 Likes   #486
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Got an jab of AstraZenaca booked for Monday morning
I figure I'm about 2-3 weeks away from a vaccination now.
03-15-2021, 04:34 AM - 2 Likes   #487
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got the AstraZeneca jab yesterday - no obvious side effects yet

03-15-2021, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #488
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Got the AstraZeneca jab yesterday - no obvious side effects yet
Astra Zeneca is putting on a come as you are poke party today for people who are 64 years old. I'm 63, my wife is 65, so we won't be going. I drove past the venue this morning, there are about 500 vehicles lined up already, and the party doesn't start for a few hours.
03-15-2021, 07:02 AM - 2 Likes   #489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Astra Zeneca is putting on a come as you are poke party today for people who are 64 years old.
will you still grab me, will you still jab me...?
03-15-2021, 07:18 AM   #490
Veteran Member

Astra Zeneca is putting on a come as you are poke party today for people who are 64 years old. I'm 63, my wife is 65, so we won't be going. I drove past the venue this morning, there are about 500 vehicles lined up already, and the party doesn't start for a few hours.
a huge number of pharmacies booking the Asta Zeneca appointments now. I am off to get mine shortly. Ideally i preferred the Pfizer or Moderna but since I am 60-64 this is what Ontario is offering
03-16-2021, 07:37 AM   #491
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
a huge number of pharmacies booking the Asta Zeneca appointments now. I am off to get mine shortly. Ideally i preferred the Pfizer or Moderna but since I am 60-64 this is what Ontario is offering
Some minor side effects (headache aches and pains and sore at jab site when I woke up, pretty much gone now
03-16-2021, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #492
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Spain, Germany, Italy and France have paused AZ jabs while investigating a handful of thrombosis cases - better safe than sorry and incidence is approximately 1 per 200 thousand shots so it's not really a concern compared to the alternative, but I'm afraid it will just give some elements of society fresh ammunition.
03-16-2021, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #493
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Spain, Germany, Italy and France have paused AZ jabs while investigating a handful of thrombosis cases - better safe than sorry and incidence is approximately 1 per 200 thousand shots so it's not really a concern compared to the alternative, but I'm afraid it will just give some elements of society fresh ammunition.
My understanding is the rate of blood clotting is the same or below what would be expected in the age groups that are being vaccinated.
It turns out old people are prone to all sorts of medical problems, blood clotting being one of them as we spend more time sitting on our butts doing nothing (especially when in lockdown).

I suppose that because deep vein thrombosis is a problem for people who do very long plane trips, we should just shut down international airline travel entirely as well. Such is the logic of shallow thinkers.

I read an opinion piece this morning that hinted that the real reason they are pausing AZ vaccines is because the company is far behind in providing the vaccine, and it is easier to pause the usage for any invented reason than it is to take the company on for what is likely not something they can help.
03-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #494
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Got a Moderna a week ago and waiting on second. No effects at all other than a small sore spot at the injection site (like pain from a bruse) which lasted no more than 48 hours. I would have expected that since the injection does involve some type of puncture wound. Now looking forward to the next (not necessarily final) shot in about two weeks.

Weird thing was, two of the local major hospital clinics didn't offer any vaccine shots (shame on them). I had to set this one up through a "Prescription Pad" pharmacy who contracted it out to a hospice care center. Good organization there and fast service with a 15 minute check at the end. Thanks to the Medicare e-mail information note that alerted me to the latter.
03-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #495
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I read an opinion piece this morning that hinted that the real reason they are pausing AZ vaccines is because the company is far behind in providing the vaccine, and it is easier to pause the usage for any invented reason than it is to take the company on for what is likely not something they can help.
That was indeed my first thought - AFAIK the European Medicament Agency recommended continuation in the face of the alternatives, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if this was a "you messed up, now good luck with your reputation" situation. And, while it's hard to excuse the sheer incompetence of the dosage miscalculations, this type of side effect is so infrequent that no study would ever be able to catch it.

Coincidentally, AZ stock is almost 5% up today. Hm.
Closed Thread